How much do you spend on accessories?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

I see tons of nice bikes here, sometimes I get the feeling from forum reading that Campagnolo SR, eTap, Di2 etc are super cheap in the US, everyone gets their dream frame, bars, groupset, wheels etc....but no one really says what they wear or use for accessories..

How much do you spend on the other accessories such as:
Front light
Rear Light
Computer
Powermeter
Bottle
Road shoes
helmets & helmet light??
sunglasses
emergency kit...tube, pump, levers, mini tool...
clothing...bibs, jerseys, caps....how many sets do you have? winter, autumn, summer, indoor??

does WW extend to those too?

I have:
Volt450XL front light
SeeSense Icon rear light
Garmin 520
fizik saddle bag....tube, minitool, 2x tire levers
fizik R3b shoes
3 sets of jersey/bib.....1 UPF50+ Pearl Izumi set, 1 Altura nightvision set, 1 castelli

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Too goddamn much.

Multiple front lights trying to find the perfect one.
Multiple rear lights trying to find the perfect one
Multiple saddle bags
Gloves
Shoes
Silicon Garmin condoms in different colors
Tubes
Tools

You get the idea.

topflightpro

by topflightpro

[quote="Boshk"]
How much do you spend on the other accessories such as:
Front light - ~$80
Rear Light - ~$140 (Cycliq Fly 6)
Computer - $750 (PC8)
Powermeter - $275 - $1600 (Between my wife and I, we have 3 SRMs, 1 Quarq, and 1 Stages)
Bottle - Free - $10
Road shoes - $175-$1100 (My wife likes Giro and Specialized shoes. I have custom shoes on account of my wide feet.)
helmets - $120-$200 (Assorted Giro and Kask options)
sunglasses - ~$150 (Oakleys)
emergency kit...tube, pump, levers, mini tool... ~$100 total
clothing...bibs, jerseys, caps....how many sets do you have? winter, autumn, summer, indoor?? ~$1000 a year for 2-4 new kits each for my wife and me.

kookie

by kookie

Too much, I think I have a problem!

For the past month I've been switching to Assos from Castelli.

As for accessories, too many to write down...I basically have two or more of everything (lights, pumps, tools, stands, cages, helmets, wheels etc.)

oreoboreo

by oreoboreo

my wife says too much... I say I need more ;)
Let's finish the ride with a 20% grade.

2011 Scott Addict R1 DA 7900 Matt black
2012 Scott CR1 Pro Ultegra 6700
2015 Specialized SWorks Tarmac Da 9000
2016 Specialized SWorks Tarmac DA 9100

Demdem

by Demdem

Too much

Christono

by Christono

Lights - cheap ish ones
Computer - Garmin 520
Powermeter - Stages
Bottle - I like the old style camelbaks so I have a few of the rapha bidons $$
Road shoes - Giro Empire SLX (nice and light,) + a few old shoes
helmets - Giro Synthe
sunglasses - Oakley ev zero (25g?)
kit - i like castelli

i guess weenie-ism applies. I own a comfy skinsuit, helmet / shoes are fairly light, stages is 20 or so grams, oakleys unintentionally light.
Might not spend the most but would rather not think about cost..

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

oreoboreo wrote:my wife says too much... I say I need more ;)

:lol:
Likewise...add in my kids saying too much money on bike gear and not enough on them
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

NiFTY

by NiFTY

A fair bit.

Front light - exposure diablo but have had for years
Rear light knob
Computer 520 - repaired cracked tab with putty and superglue - now 5 months in use without issue since
Outfront mount - fetha and two home made carbon plate.
Cages tune wassertrager uni and carbonworks and arundel crono for tt and bontrager side load for mtb
Pms - stages x3, prev quarq sold for another stages
Sunnies - 2 sets oakley flak jacket - replaced lens once
Shoes prev gen s works x2
Bibs - assos mille x7, rapha or team jerseys

Spare bags. I have one for each road bike with custo.ised tools for each and either a tube or sealant. Mtb have backpack with appropriate stuff.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

Boshk wrote:How much do you spend on the other accessories such as:
does WW extend to those too?

1. At first I thought "a lot!" but then I realize not too much.
2. Most of the time, yes, but accessories typically price/value matters more to me.
(3). I spend most of my budget on equipment for builds.

Front light
-Many, many, many. The most expensive is a Cygolight. The rest are a mix of various heads&battery combos picked up via lots of research on AliExpress. All said, quite affordable for what I have, and I'm finally happy with the end result now, but it took some time to get the right things.

Rear Light
-A knog USB with ridiculously good power and lens (they no longer make it AFAIK)
-One of these little gems for $1.50/each - seriously one of the best purchases ever for a rear light.
https://tinyurl.com/yadwo2sq

Computer
-Reliable Garmin 500, haven't needed to replace it in years, just replaced the battery and it's been going strong.

Powermeter
-No desire for one, honestly.

Bottle
-I've been keeping the same bottles I picked up at InterBike a few years ago clean and functioning, only needed to purchase two bottles in the past 2 years. Specialized Purist Hyrdoflo. I use a Fabric water bottle for commuting (so far so good, fingers crossed)

Road shoes
-I buy new ones every 2 years

helmets & helmet light??
-Same one for the past few years, no desire to upgrade at themoment.

sunglasses
-same two pairs picked up at InterBike a two years ago, still amazing.

emergency kit...tube, pump, levers, mini tool...
-tubes replaced every once in a while, the rest stay the same for years.

clothing...bibs, jerseys, caps....how many sets do you have? winter, autumn, summer, indoor??
-too many sets :( but haven't bought anything new in a while so I can just use up all the things that got barely worn and are still fashionable.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

TonyM

by TonyM

Too much....too many accessories... :evil:

..and too many clothes...No not too many actually....I need more choice!!!!!! I think road biking is also about what you wear 8)

I have to admit that I spent last year quite a lot of money in different clothes (vests, jackets, helmets,...in hi-vis yellow) because my wife wanted me to have very visible clothes when I was biking in the winter and in rainy weather. Safety first. 8)

dim

by dim

Saddle: Brooks Cambium C17 Carved - £105.00

Computer: Garmin Edge 1000 - £415.00

Front Camera: Garmin Virb Ultra 30 - £315.00

128GB Card for front Camera: £90.00

K-Edge Garmin Mount Combo - £52.00

Rear Camera: Cycliq Fly 6 - £110.00

Wheelset (HED Belgium Plus with Chris King R45 ceramic hubs) - £1200.00

Total Price so far: £2287.00 and I still need to get decent lights such as Dinotte aswell as some Apidura bags for my long Audax rides aswell as some powerbanks for keeping things charged

I only paid £650 for the bike .... a used Giant TCR

Edit .... I forgot to add my Garmin Varia Radar unit .... £145.00

so total cost on the above is £2432.00 (3,180.36 USD)

nice thing though is that when I need a new bike, I will just buy a frame and transver ll components/wheels/accesories
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

How much do you spend on the other accessories such as: I refuse to anser at this time out of fear that my wife will at some point see my post (that and it would take me way too long to add it all up).

Front light: Nitecore SRT7 960 Lumen Flashlight (runs off of 18650 rechargeable batteries that can be charged externally and I can carry spares with me)
Rear Light: Cateye Rapid X2 Kinetic
Computer: Garmin 810 (Hammerhead Karoo on order)
Powermeter: Watteam Powerbeat
Bottle: various, large, insulated camelback podiums for rides over 50mi
Road shoes: Giro Factor Techlace
helmets & helmet light: POC Octal with Lezyne Zecto mounted in the rear exhaust channel
sunglasses: Oakley Radar Lock or Jawbone/Racing Jacket
emergency kit: Silca Seat Roll Premio with a Silca torque gauge/bit driver, various bits a ratcheting bit driver from Home Depot, chain tool removed from a multi tool, CO2, tire lever/smartlink remover, normally a mini-pump with a gauge on my top tube (which I had to use this morning). I run tubeless, so no tubes.

No mention of Cameras on this list... I run a Fly12 up front and a Fly6 in back always.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

dim

by dim

IrrelevantD wrote:How much do you spend on the other accessories such as: I refuse to anser at this time out of fear that my wife will at some point see my post (that and it would take me way too long to add it all up).

Front light: Nitecore SRT7 960 Lumen Flashlight (runs off of 18650 rechargeable batteries that can be charged externally and I can carry spares with me)
Rear Light: Cateye Rapid X2 Kinetic
Computer: Garmin 810 (Hammerhead Karoo on order)
Powermeter: Watteam Powerbeat
Bottle: various, large, insulated camelback podiums for rides over 50mi
Road shoes: Giro Factor Techlace
helmets & helmet light: POC Octal with Lezyne Zecto mounted in the rear exhaust channel
sunglasses: Oakley Radar Lock or Jawbone/Racing Jacket
emergency kit: Silca Seat Roll Premio with a Silca torque gauge/bit driver, various bits a ratcheting bit driver from Home Depot, chain tool removed from a multi tool, CO2, tire lever/smartlink remover, normally a mini-pump with a gauge on my top tube (which I had to use this morning). I run tubeless, so no tubes.

No mention of Cameras on this list... I run a Fly12 up front and a Fly6 in back always.

nice!!! .... but do yourself a favour and get the Garmin Varia Radar unit .... not sure if it will link to the Hammerhead but it does work with the Garmin 810 .... if it does not work with the Hammerhead, it does come with it's own display unit .... best gadget that I have bought and highly recomended
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

dim wrote:nice!!! .... but do yourself a favour and get the Garmin Varia Radar unit .... not sure if it will link to the Hammerhead but it does work with the Garmin 810 .... if it does not work with the Hammerhead, it does come with it's own display unit .... best gadget that I have bought and highly recomended

Well, part of the reason I went with the Hammerhead was because I've been having a lot of issues with the 810 locking up on me. It will just randomly freeze completely requiring a reboot. When it comes back up, my activity to that point is gone. It's gotten so bad that I started bringing my 500 along in my back pocket as a backup, which unfortunately is to the point that it only lasts about 2 hours. So, now I'm using my Vivoactive as a backup on every activity. Real PITA. I've thought about it in the past, but I don't know that I want the distraction of seeing how close the car is on my computer vs just listening for it. I kinda always figured, if they're going to hit me from behind, I'm not sure how much I want to "see" it coming.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com