Shortening reach on an Aeroad for a female rider - ideas/options? [solved]

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Shrike

by Shrike

She has a 2XS Aeroad with the aerobars and SRAM hoods. I've tried playing with the positioning of the shifters but her short fingers just aren't working well with those drops and in general, the hoods are just too far forward.

Her H31 Aerocockpit has a 90mm stem, the shortest available. But they have a new H11 cockpit, that goes down to 70mm, and has a more ergonomic shape and shorter reach.

That seems like a no brainer then, except I'm wondering what the steering will be like if she goes down to an 80 or 70mm stem. Would it be super twitchy up front?

Any other good looking options around?
Last edited by Shrike on Fri Nov 03, 2017 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

junchen

by junchen

Not directly related to ur qn, but aeroad fork has stable and able mode. U can switch it out. The default mod would be 'able'. Just switch it to stable if you find the shorter stem twitchy.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Marin

by Marin

Did you reach adjust the levers?

Even with larger hands moving the levers in is a must for me - I like the hoods angled up, but still ride in the drops a lot.

Shrike

by Shrike

junchen - the default mode is the twitchier one (able)? is that the little metal inset inside the front fork dropout?

Marin - been playing with that since she got the bike. If we shorten the reach to make life on the hoods easier, then life on the drops gets worse and vice-versa. It's in a sort of middle ground of acceptability at the moment.

Just off chat with Canyon.. they agree that the 70mm stem on the new H31 bars could be too twitchy, so maybe 80mm and the slightly shortened reach of the H31 (as well as slightly shallower drops) is probably the best compromise..

Will see what other options are going around though before getting spendy. £362 and have to eBay the H11's (which probably aren't going to sell fast).

wpccrunner
in the industry

by wpccrunner

seems pretty obvious to me but why not get separate bar & stem to make swaps easier and cheaper while figuring out which configuration works best. then you can splurge on the integrate bar/stem.

junchen

by junchen

From
https://cyclingtips.com/2015/10/canyon- ... sl-review/

The rake of the fork is adjustable with two settings: “stable” and “able”, corresponding to 39mm and 44mm of rake. The proprietary seatpost also has two settings: 15mm setback or 1mm setforward. While the former has no bearing on rider fit, the latter will, and riders requiring a lot of setback will have trouble getting comfortable on the Aeroad.

Yes, default is able.

Sent from my Redmi Note 4 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Shrike

by Shrike

Thanks jun - going to check her bike's setting this weekend and swap it round to stable. Pretty much set on the 80mm H31 bars now and will try flipping the clamp to 1mm set forward. Didn't know that was an option!

@wpc - I'm looking for end game solutions here. Changing stem lengths and toying with bars is always an option, always, on any bike. :lol: You could toy around with a stack of bars and stems and it still won't be the same as the one piece you buy later. Anything that takes her in a couple of cm and makes the drops shallower is the business. That what I'm looking for right now.

Anyway, thanks guys. The rake and seat post setback makes this all a whole lot simpler now. Way more options to play with that I first knew. :)

May post an update later on how it ends up in case someone searches later wondering the same thing.