Is this Colnago C60 real?? Help! :)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KarlC

by KarlC

Its also odd cause the rest of the bike looks so clean. It cant be from scratches when set on concrete, cause just the rivets would be scratched. The scratch lines on the serial plate and numbers look to be done on purpose

Good point on the warranty registration, I wonder if it been done ?

mattcooke wrote:Image

fogman wrote:It looks real to me. The scratched out serial number leads me to believe it may be stolen. Although it could have been scratched when set on concrete driveway to take one of those photographs. I would ask for the original sales receipt or warranty registration to validate authenticity.

Edit: I believe this is the frame that @Imaking20 was selling a few weeks back. Driveway/garage door looks the same as in the "Her New Blue Dress" thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

scale29

by scale29

Interestingly my (very genuine) C60 doesn't have the engraved serial number riveted on, it's on a sticker under the clearcoat. Mine is a pretty early one mind.

AJS914

by AJS914

Why not ask the "friend" these questions? Like, where did it come from? Why is the serial # scratched?

As far as authenticity, I don't think the fake C60s have the screw in threadfit BB cups.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

scale29 wrote:Interestingly my (very genuine) C60 doesn't have the engraved serial number riveted on, it's on a sticker under the clearcoat. Mine is a pretty early one mind.

The riveted serial numbers started sometime after the introduction of the C60, don't know exactly when though. So that in itself doesn't say anything, but the scratches all over it sure like they were intentional. Legitimately stolen perhaps. But as was just said, if it's a "friend of a friend" who's selling it, I'd say the OP is closer to finding out the real story than anyone here. It definitely appears to be a legitimate C60 however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

TonyM

by TonyM

To me (C60 owner) it looks like a genuine C60 - but extremely strange because of the scratches which looks like it has been stolen or in order to avoid any warranty with Colnago. I would not buy it - unless the owner can prove the authenticity of the C60 and that you have a warranty on it.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Why does the warranty matter when it only applies to the original buyer?
Looks like a real C60 to me.

mattcooke
Resident Pro

by mattcooke

I think what happened was the bike was sold to my friend of a friend with this serial number issue and he had little recourse. He was stuck with it b/c the seller was overseas.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Matt,
I think this happens frequently when buying Colnago's from a few overseas sellers on ebay.
Check this thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=169887

jimaizumi

by jimaizumi

scale29 wrote:Interestingly my (very genuine) C60 doesn't have the engraved serial number riveted on, it's on a sticker under the clearcoat. Mine is a pretty early one mind.

The serial number on mine is riveted on...
THE PAST: 2005 C'dale R700, 2006 Spesh S-Works Tarmac Gerolsteiner, 2009 Pinarello Dogma FPX My Way, 2011 Time RXR VIP

THE PRESENT: 2016 Colnago C60 ST01, 2017 Wilier Cento 10 Ramato, Cinelli Gazetta

THE FUTURE: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

ddsg

by ddsg

tonytourist wrote:Matt,
I think this happens frequently when buying Colnago's from a few overseas sellers on ebay.
Check this thread: https://forums.thepaceline.net/showthread.php?t=169887

That thread mentions that they contacted Conalgo and got a response about whether or not it seemed genuine. Maybe OP should send an email to Conalgo?

redronin

by redronin

What BB is it?

thestedmans82

by thestedmans82

I’m sure it’s genuine (identical details to mine) - not sure about the colour scheme thought - about the only c60 aside the gold frames that I wouldn’t desire

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KarlC

by KarlC

Calnago wrote:The riveted serial numbers started sometime after the introduction of the C60, don't know exactly when though. So that in itself doesn't say anything, but the scratches all over it sure like they were intentional. Legitimately stolen perhaps. But as was just said, if it's a "friend of a friend" who's selling it, I'd say the OP is closer to finding out the real story than anyone here. It definitely appears to be a legitimate C60 however.

Yes +1 on this
C64 My Sixty 4 SR EPS 12

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

So it could be a legit C60 that was stolen, but Matt also mentioned that it came from overseas. It could also be a legit C60 but was a demo or floor model and the distributor was not authorized to sell overseas, so they partially obscured the serial # in order to avoid blowback from Colnago for selling outside their authorized area. Or could be a factory reject or warranty bike. Many companies will do something that totally disables the bike if it is warrantied, to avoid further use, but I have certainly seen some bikes warrantied for minor issues only to be put back into use by people who were less picky and happy to have a free frame, or sold to unsuspecting 3rd parties.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

What do you guys thing of this one? It looks like the serial was masked off and the lug repainted. Are any C60s masked like that from the factory?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/colnago-c60-Ex ... 3242860521