Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
gplama

by gplama

Campervan wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 6:55 pm
I'm flying with my bike in a few weeks. Is there anything I need to do with the pedals (bar taking them off) before I go? If I do put them into travel mode, can I use a power pack to start them back up?
WIth travel mode you need to wake them up with the Assioma charger, so you have to take it with you. Given the ~50hr battery life and travel time for most trips is MUCH less, sometimes travel mode is not nessissary. Maybe you could jump start them awake with another USB charger or hack.... but... I'm not aware of any way to do this.

by Weenie

gplama

by gplama

ok.... so after some hackey.... It's possible to wake the Assioma up from 'Travel Mode' with a standard USB cable. I cut the end off a MicroUSB cable, connected it to a USB wall charger (5V 1A), positive to the outside terminal on the pedal (red wire), ground to the inside (black). Boom. They wake up.

It's a total bodge but it'll get anyone out of a pickle where they put their pedals into Travel Mode and forgot their charger.

AZR3

by AZR3

gplama wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 12:06 am
ok.... so after some hackey.... It's possible to wake the Assioma up from 'Travel Mode' with a standard USB cable. I cut the end off a MicroUSB cable, connected it to a USB wall charger (5V 1A), positive to the outside terminal on the pedal (red wire), ground to the inside (black). Boom. They wake up.

It's a total bodge but it'll get anyone out of a pickle where they put their pedals into Travel Mode and forgot their charger.
Good to know! I read about someone traveling for a Tri race and they didn’t know/read about needing the chargers to wake from travel mode so had no power during his race. Nice to see there is a “MacGyver” way to wake them without the chargers

Also, how are you getting along with the Cadex Boost saddle you did a review on a few months ago? I’ve been thinking of trying one but other than your review I haven’t found many reviews other than at its initial release.

gplama

by gplama

Just tested this MacGyver Travel Mode hack with a small USB battery, works a charm!

The Cadex Boost is still on my main road bike, so that's the best endorsement I can give. If something doesn't work it comes off pretty quickly. My 3hr ride on the Neo Bike the other day resulted in one unhappy 'area', that saddle is getting the flick today.

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

jencvo wrote:
Mon Feb 24, 2020 5:58 pm

What cheap replacement for Look cleats did you buy? I found these on eBay but not sure how these hold up. I've broken genuine cleats before so I'm a bit freaked out about experimenting on my own.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LOOK-KEO-Compa ... SwVTpd7TtB
I bought original Look Keo cleats. But there are two versions. One with the anti-slip rubber areas and the other without. The ones without were about half the price of the anti slip ones.

andyJC

by andyJC

Has there been any chatter about an updated product from Favero?

Conza

by Conza

andyJC wrote:
Tue Feb 25, 2020 1:48 pm
This. I am after a PM. Want one badly, but none 'nail it' for me.

SPD cleats, or some update - how long has it been?
It's all about the adventure :o .

gplama

by gplama

My Assioma with SPD pedals/cleats work a charm: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybAFIhKahnM

CrankyCarbon

by CrankyCarbon

Conza wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:21 pm
andyJC wrote:

SPD or SPD-SL?
As shown above you can replace the Assioma pedal body with the XPedo (which the Assioma's are made from) for SPD.
As for SPD-SL I think shimano is still enforcing their design patent so you'll need to find a different option until Shimano creates one or their patent expires and others create something.

pmprego

by pmprego

CrankyCarbon wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:02 pm
Conza wrote:
andyJC wrote:

SPD or SPD-SL?
As shown above you can replace the Assioma pedal body with the XPedo (which the Assioma's are made from) for SPD.
As for SPD-SL I think shimano is still enforcing their design patent so you'll need to find a different option until Shimano creates one or their patent expires and others create something.
How Shimano is letting such an opportunity (to make/sell spd-sl pedal powermeter) go out of the window blows my mind. A clear case that they are more than happy with the profits they currently have.

M4lukz

by M4lukz

not sure if it was already said here, but is it possible to "after-market" get some shimano SPD-SL pedal bodies into the Favero Assioma sensors?

jfranci3

by jfranci3

No. Garmin has a kit though

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Mar 02, 2020 3:11 pm
No. Garmin has a kit though

Only for the defunct Garmin Vector 2s.

Mikedb

by Mikedb

pmprego wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:32 pm
CrankyCarbon wrote:
Conza wrote:
andyJC wrote:

SPD or SPD-SL?
How Shimano is letting such an opportunity (to make/sell spd-sl pedal powermeter) go out of the window blows my mind. A clear case that they are more than happy with the profits they currently have.

Garmin should be releasing a SPD-SL version of their Vectors soon.

This suggest either the patent is expiring or Shimano is open to letting other companies design products based on their pedal system.

So hopefully after we get the new Vectors, Favero follows suit with a SPD-Sl version of the Assioma Uno/Duo.

by Weenie

pmprego

by pmprego

Mikedb wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:18 pm
pmprego wrote:
Wed Feb 26, 2020 3:32 pm
CrankyCarbon wrote:
Conza wrote:

SPD or SPD-SL?

Garmin should be releasing a SPD-SL version of their Vectors soon.

This suggest either the patent is expiring or Shimano is open to letting other companies design products based on their pedal system.

So hopefully after we get the new Vectors, Favero follows suit with a SPD-Sl version of the Assioma Uno/Duo.
Hell... I'm on the lookout for a spd-sl favero for sure. Saving my pennies already! :D