Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

Ride4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 1:07 pm
Taiyoto wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:52 pm
Ride4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:14 am
Taiyoto wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17 am
Today just arrived from Italy
first look
very easy to install and remove,, only takes 5 minutes
How tall are you?

Also, what pedals are you coming from and is the wider q-factor noticeable?

I ask because while I intially wrote these off, I'm still thinking about getting these.
Tomorrow I will test it, I'm 173cm, and use look, shimano road bike and Triathlon bike.
I will report hopely tomorrow

Thanks.

Also, out of curiosity did you run the looks with the 2mm washers?

With Shimano, did you run regular or 4mm extended pedals? Any washers?.
I think for the favero powermeter, for look I use the 2mm washers, it is ok
for the new faver Shimano also needs to use the 2mm washers
I use the regular pedal 52mm I think without washers

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 4:52 pm
5DII wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 am
Out of curiosity, what are the educational requirements and certifications required to become a professional bike fitter?
Absolutely none. Which is why some of them (many) are so utterly useless.

FWIW i use shims to cant my cleats, i have different amounts of cant (and different cleat alignements along the axis of the shoe) depending on road/TT/mtb/CX, this is to account for stance width on each bike and my "usual" hip angle while riding on each bike. It's a bit hit and miss, and is not a prcise science, but meets my needs and has done for several decades on the road.

But to say that anyone can adapt to any q factor is misleading. Some are just too far out there. Much like adding 20 mm of stance, biomechancically it'll be a nightmare and as mentioned up there, anyone racing, or pressing on, is going to have some serious pedal strike issues.

Also, no *good* fitters will still be aiming for the smallest q-factor/stance width that is possible, thats gone the way of the dodo, like KOPS.
Good fitters will be looking for the correct stance width.
It's like most things if you do research you will find good bike fitters and bad ones. The good ones around here either have degrees/qualifications for physiology, sport science or physiotherapy and they are one's that generally get recommended.

You have the same issue with "bike mechanics" who just got bored during lockdown and started up because so many people were riding. No idea what they were doing and take money cash in hand so there is no insurance if something goes wrong

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jch3n

by jch3n

Ride4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:14 am
How tall are you?

Also, what pedals are you coming from and is the wider q-factor noticeable?

I ask because while I intially wrote these off, I'm still thinking about getting these.
If you need another data point, I just received these pedals yesterday too.

I'm right around 6ft/182cm, but I have a leg length discrepancy and assymetry issues that probably benefit from a wider stance width. I was previously on regular Shimano pedals for years, with 2 pedal washers and cleats moved all the way to the inside of my shoes (so basically, widest possible configuration). I recently moved to the +4 axles, still with 2 pedal washers and cleats on the inside. That was a very subtle, but perceptible difference. I've only gone on one ride with the DUO-Shi pedals (no washers, same cleat position) and can't say that it feels obviously wider than the +4 pedals. It certainly does not feel unnatural to me. I'd imagine I'd have to ride normal +52 pedals and the DUO-Shi pedals back to back to really spot the difference.

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

Today I test the new Favero.

1. no feeling,
2. in the middle of the legs, the pressure seat have a little release
3. Riding the same way, still very good perfomance, and the strava data, Almost get the PR time.
4. Very good feeling, not tire.

pmprego

by pmprego

To everyone i mention the new favero and their wide stance all frown their face upon me. This product will be a fiasco. They better find a way to shrink their pod, reduce that gap between the pod and the pedal itself and shave some 6-8mm out of that stance. Otherwise people will just dont go for the favero option (and oh boy would I like to go back to spd-sl pedals and cleats).

corky

by corky

pmprego wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 7:22 am
To everyone i mention the new favero and their wide stance all frown their face upon me. This product will be a fiasco. They better find a way to shrink their pod, reduce that gap between the pod and the pedal itself and shave some 6-8mm out of that stance. Otherwise people will just dont go for the favero option (and oh boy would I like to go back to spd-sl pedals and cleats).
Totally agree with this.

There should be no fitting compromises to accommodate equipment. Even if you you think you can make them work, there's no telling the long term damage that might occur.

I hope this is just a knee jerk reaction to getting product out now that the patent has expired (FOMO) hopefully in time they'll come up with a more measured(excuse the pun) design.

dooglehead2

by dooglehead2

Some good news for people using Assiomas with Wahoo computers is that Wahoo's latest firmware update fixes the kj calculation with Assioma pedels. Average power also looks like it was pretty much fixed. In my last ride the average power was 215 watts according to Wahoo and 218 watts according to the .fit file, which is by far the closest that they have ever been in agreement.

gplama

by gplama

dooglehead2 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:57 pm
Some good news for people using Assiomas with Wahoo computers is that Wahoo's latest firmware update fixes the kj calculation with Assioma pedels.
I've been out testing this with old vs new Elemnt firmware. Looks like they've nailed it. I'll throw the testing/results up on YouTube in the next few days.

ms6073

by ms6073

corky wrote:
Sat Jul 31, 2021 9:24 am
There should be no fitting compromises to accommodate equipment. Even if you you think you can make them work, there's no telling the long term damage that might occur.
Sort of related but had been contemplating Shimano's +4mm DA pedals and got a used pair to try last week. Only managef a 250 km total, and the change was not that drastic, but it quickly became apparent to me that I preferred the narrower stance width to the net +8mm, and would be hard pressed to find a liking to the new Assioma's.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

TribesMan

by TribesMan

gplama wrote:
Fri Aug 13, 2021 9:53 am
dooglehead2 wrote:
Thu Aug 12, 2021 5:57 pm
Some good news for people using Assiomas with Wahoo computers is that Wahoo's latest firmware update fixes the kj calculation with Assioma pedels.
I've been out testing this with old vs new Elemnt firmware. Looks like they've nailed it. I'll throw the testing/results up on YouTube in the next few days.
Yep, about time they fixed that issue.
I've been nagging them about this problem for 2 years, and their response was always "it works at it should".
I wonder what convinced them to do it now...

Discodan

by Discodan

Does anyone have any knowledge on how much error forgetting to zero offset on installation might cause? In a rush to transfer the pedals onto my trainer bike for a Zwift race I forgot to calibrate it the other day and am curious if I can rely on the data from that race. Are we talking a 2w or 20w error I wonder

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Discodan wrote:
Wed Aug 18, 2021 12:08 am
Does anyone have any knowledge on how much error forgetting to zero offset on installation might cause? In a rush to transfer the pedals onto my trainer bike for a Zwift race I forgot to calibrate it the other day and am curious if I can rely on the data from that race. Are we talking a 2w or 20w error I wonder

Even with a full zero-offset, I wouldn't trust numbers from pedal power meters until after a couple of max sprints and then another zero-offset procedure. I have seen huge offset differences this way.

strummer82

by strummer82

DeiviX wrote:
Wed Jun 03, 2020 2:55 am
cunn1n9 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 4:21 am
DeiviX wrote:Hacking! Image
Hi DeiviX,

Desperate to know how you did this mate. Please do tell!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hello!
the Speedplay body has 3 bearings, one of them must be modified so that the Assioma axis is in the correct position.
Now that the Wahoo Powrlink have been delayed again, any chance you could share details on how you got the Speedplay pedals on the Assiomas? Specifically which bearing needs modified and how? Did you physically modify it, or buy a new bearing of a different size? Your knowledge would be MUCH appreciated!!

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I looked into this because I'm a huge Speedplay fan and would love to get back on them again. It appears that you just unbolt the body and install the Speedplay body. I've been trying to find a used set so I can confirm this, but the surfaces that the bearings ride on are the same dimensions. The tiny needle bearing at the base of the body would need to ride on a harden surface and I do not know if the Assioma are.

strummer82

by strummer82

Butcher wrote:
Fri Aug 27, 2021 4:32 pm
I looked into this because I'm a huge Speedplay fan and would love to get back on them again. It appears that you just unbolt the body and install the Speedplay body. I've been trying to find a used set so I can confirm this, but the surfaces that the bearings ride on are the same dimensions. The tiny needle bearing at the base of the body would need to ride on a harden surface and I do not know if the Assioma are.
Interesting. I did just get a used set, so I can give it a shot. I'm just a little leery of potential damage to the Assioma spindle.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com