Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 5:59 pm
Ride4Life wrote:
Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:56 am

Is that 2.5mm in both the left and right direction (Total of 5mm lateral adjustment)?

So if I understand correctly, 65mm Q factor on these, combined with Shimano cleats, had a range of 62.5mm to 67.5mm??

I asked because I'm interested in how much I can decrease the q-factor.

Correct.
Thanks.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:28 am
Oof, +5mm I could see people accepting. +10mm though, we’ll see…

Meanwhile the Rally/Vector 3 pedals are fully mature now and 53/55mm. Expensive yes, but also the most advanced implementation of a pedal-based PM.
Highly subjective, but in your experience do you think a 5mm increase per side would be noticeable for most people?

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

Ride4Life wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:28 am
Oof, +5mm I could see people accepting. +10mm though, we’ll see…

Meanwhile the Rally/Vector 3 pedals are fully mature now and 53/55mm. Expensive yes, but also the most advanced implementation of a pedal-based PM.
Highly subjective, but in your experience do you think a 5mm increase per side would be noticeable for most people?
I think so. It’s surprisingly pretty noticeable to me and I tend not to be that fussy about that sort of thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

What's the benefit of SPD over Look that people would rather get a different PM?

I have always used Speedplay and only have power (P2M) on my road bike. Considering getting Assioma with Look cleats and then a cheap Look pedal for the TT bike which lives on the trainer. That way I can move power to the TT bike for races without owning two PMs. But I don't have experience with either SPD or Look, so I'd like to understand why some posters would rather have +10 axles or go for a completely different PM system than get the Look version.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Double post

JWTS

by JWTS

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:11 am
What's the benefit of SPD over Look that people would rather get a different PM?

I have always used Speedplay and only have power (P2M) on my road bike. Considering getting Assioma with Look cleats and then a cheap Look pedal for the TT bike which lives on the trainer. That way I can move power to the TT bike for races without owning two PMs. But I don't have experience with either SPD or Look, so I'd like to understand why some posters would rather have +10 axles or go for a completely different PM system than get the Look version.
I posted earlier, but bottom line is that the cleat/pedal interface just works better in my experience.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

BigBoyND wrote:
Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:11 am

A little easier to target when clipping in, wider platform, better design for walking in. The rubber on KeO Grip cleats interferes with clipping in once they start to fall off after a few weeks.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

BigBoyND wrote:What's the benefit of SPD over Look that people would rather get a different PM?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

the new favero for shimano spdsl

according to the youtuber the favoro look has the same witdh with R8000 ultegra

but after set up the favero pedal for shimano, the width difference is very clear +10mm

the road bike qfactor standard has 150mm and MTB is 170mm, so, the results is

is really effects the qfactor? 95% says no, only 5% says yes.

for shimano pedals, has two sizes, the standard size 52 and the extra large size 56mm, so if the qfactor road bike is 150mm+52mm = 202mm, and the new favero shimano is 150mm+64mm=214mm, difference 12mm (1.2cm), we can adjust the cleats and get more closely the qfactor, we can reduce over 5mm. So finally we get 214mm-5mm=209mm, this size is like a wider shimano pedal 150mm+56mm=206mm, very close.

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I’m actually needing some power meter pedals. Have had Assiomas in the past, generally really liked them. Thought that the weakest point, though, was the pedal body itself.

If these new Assioma SPDs didn’t have such a ridiculously wide Q factor it’d be a no brainer. Unfortunately, it’s a total dealbreaker for me.

At the moment, you can get Vector 3s for the same price as Assioma Duos. I’m seriously considering picking up some V3s and then getting a pedal body kit.

Would you guys go Duos or V3s at the same price?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

I just got a bike fit a month ago and I was fitted with Shimano +4mm pedals.

With yellow cleats pushed as far as possible to give extra width, I'm at 58.5mm.

So 150mm plus 58.5mm(2x) = 267mm stance width.

If I went with the Assioma Shimano pedals and moved the cleats as far as possible to reduce clearance, I could reduce the pedal length to 62.5mm (from 65mm).

That would give me 150mm plus 62.5mm(2x) = 275mm in stance width.

This would lead to an overall stance width increase of 8mm.

Given that I'm 198cm, I wonder how noticeable those 8mm would be??

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Also, I seems that most of that additional 10mm is due to the space between the pod and the pedal.

Maybe the could reduce the pod shape (casing) and find a way to reduce the extra space (shorten the spindle??? or alter how the pod attaches to it).

I seems there are other ways to reduce the q factor without having to make their own pedal.

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

according to the youtuber, he has MTB, TT, Triathlon, Road Bike, Qfactor are very different, and the BMX is the mostly wider 170mm. So the legs can adapt any different Qfactor. He use the new favero in the Road Bike, can feel a little difference but is almost very small, The legs can adjust this qfactor 5mm difference (already adjust and reduce to -5mm less) finally the difference with the pedals are only +-5mm. It's not a big deal.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

I can’t believe that the below two options are so different to warrant such turmoil over the decision.

Sure the Shimano cleats are wider so when you walk in them they should be more stable however walking from my bike park up to the coffee shop table hardly seems like a major thing to consider in a purchase decision.

I have used the Shimano yellow cleats and I now use the look red cleats on my Favero’s. To me it’s the same same really. Such a storm in a teacup and cannot understand how people thought having Shimano cleat compatibility was such a game changer.

I get the point that if you have multiple bikes and they have Shimano pedals then you can use the same cleats but isn’t the point of pedal power meter to be able to move them between bikes very easily.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

cunn1n9 wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:04 am
I can’t believe that the below two options are so different to warrant such turmoil over the decision.

Mostly agree, but the SPD-SL cleat design is definitely superior in more ways than one when it comes to walking, putting a foot down. The rubber grips on KeO cleats are located on the "platform interface" of the cleat. They are also seeming pinned with a small number of tiny sprues that eventually break off. When this happens, clipping in can become difficult and I end up tearing the rubber bits off. The rubber grip on the front part of the cleat of my primary unclip/plant foot always breaks off within about a month of use and I am very deliberate about coming to a complete stop before putting my foot down. The rear grip also tends to start coming off at the outer edge. With SPD-SL, the way the rubber is attached to the cleat AND the position of the rear grips makes this a non-issue.

In the end though, KeO compatible cleats aren't a dealbreaker, certainly not compared to possible knee injury from riding an inappropriate stance-width.