Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

AZR3

by AZR3

TribesMan wrote:
Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:27 am
AZR3 wrote:
Fri Jul 16, 2021 10:10 pm
I have the opposite issue, the wahoo app always shows lower avg power compared to strava and golden cheetah. I have zeros included for power but not cadence.
Today's ride
Wahoo app says NP212/192avg/total kJ 795
and shows I was stopped for 10s
Strava says WAP210/199avg/total kJ 1034 and no stop
GC says xpower(NP)210/198avg/total kJ 1032 and stopped for 8s
Both Strava and GC used the wahoo .fit file to generate ride.
I think the Wahoo app doesn't like my DUOs because the avg power/total Kj are always lower compared to rides with my P2M unit I use to have on my bike. Rides with P2M were very close if not identical across all three apps. It's only with the DUOs that the Wahoo app reports lower readings but using the wahoo .fit file to generate data with Strava/GC all gives near identical results between them.
Whcih Wahoo app you talking about? The Wahoo Elemnt "companion" app that communicates with wahoo bike computer, or wahoo app that allows you to use your phone to track your activities?

Wahoo bike computers have known issues with calculation of average power and kJs from the Assioma pedals. Both values are always too low. I'm not sure what the problem is exactly, I have contacted Wahoo several times to point that out to them, but they say this is "the way it should be"... But simple math says they are wrong.
Even if you take the average power number from the Wahoo Elemnt and multiply it by the elapsed time, which should give you the kJ value, the value reported by Elemtn is lower.

For instance my ride from yesterday:
Elemnt (connected to the pedals with Ant+): NP 223W, AvgP 183W, 2275kJ, time 4h2m

Strava (calculated from .fit file from Elemnt): NP 223W, AvgP 194W, 2804kJ, time 4h2m

Polar watch (connected to the pedals with BT): NP 223W, AvgP 194W, 2819kJ, time 4h2m.

Luckily the values are corrected when you upload the .fit files to other platforms like Strava, TrainingPeaks or similar.

I have never tried to record the power with the wahoo app on the phone, and compared it to the recordings from the Elemnt...
Sorry, didn't think to be specific but it's the companion app, I've never recorded a ride with the other Wahoo fitness app.

I remember when the DUOs first came out and Wahoo had a lot of issues with recording avg power and displaying it while riding, looking back at some of those rides the NP was fine but avg was way way low. An example was a 2hr ride in dec of 2017, NP was 248w, avg power was shown as 154w and kJ 1189 but uploading to strava corrected the erroneous avg and kJ data to what it should be.

So it seems the data was being recorded correctly but looking back in the companion app it was being displayed incorrectly.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

https://www.favero.com/en2__bicycle_pow ... gtXvOKJWf0

Shimano version just dropped.

Notable changes:

• Q-factor with:
• PD-R7000/R550/R540: +64 mm
• PD-R8000/6800: +65 mm

*Compatible Shimano® pedal bodies
Assioma DUO-Shi is compatible with the following Shimano® pedal bodies: PD-R8000, PD-R7000, PD-6800, PD-R550 and PD-R540.

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

157g per side
50hr per charge.

Outside of increasing the Q factor by 10mm....everything else stays the same.

$495 euro plus VAT

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Oof, +5mm I could see people accepting. +10mm though, we’ll see…

Meanwhile the Rally/Vector 3 pedals are fully mature now and 53/55mm. Expensive yes, but also the most advanced implementation of a pedal-based PM.

sennder

by sennder

I was going to seriously consider selling my Assioma Duos and getting the "Duo-shi"s but the q-factor really kills it for me. Though cleat adjustment could probably compensate for a bit of it at least...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

sennder wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:54 am
I was going to seriously consider selling my Assioma Duos and getting the "Duo-shi"s but the q-factor really kills it for me. Though cleat adjustment could probably compensate for a bit of it at least...

SPD-SL cleats allow a maximum of 5mm of lateral adjustment, so at best you’d still be +5mm…

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:09 am
sennder wrote:

SPD-SL cleats allow a maximum of 5mm of lateral adjustment, so at best you’d still be +5mm…
But how do they compare with the original version in terms of qfactor?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

pmprego wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:35 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
sennder wrote:

Reread the last few posts.

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

So do they don't come with pedal bodies.
Suppose that's the way of getting around the shimano patent issue!

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:41 am
pmprego wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:35 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
sennder wrote:

Reread the last few posts.
54 to 55mm. Ok

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

So in addition to the +12-13mm in q, the cartridge uses one bearing and one bushing instead of two bearings. That probably means longevity issues. The bushing will eventually wear thin, resulting in play.

pmprego

by pmprego

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:41 am
So in addition to the +12-13mm in q, the cartridge uses one bearing and one bushing instead of two bearings. That probably means longevity issues. The bushing will eventually wear thin, resulting in play.
Which begs the question (in my mind): why doesn't shimano enter that market?? I understand that they have the crank based on but isn't the pedal based market relevant? I have to conclude it's not.

As it was the case for disc vs rims there are many options in the market so people just have to pick one.

usr

by usr

pmprego wrote:
Mon Jul 19, 2021 12:01 pm
Which begs the question (in my mind): why doesn't shimano enter that market?? I understand that they have the crank based on but isn't the pedal based market relevant? I have to conclude it's not.
Crank-integrated powermeter is a threat for their group sales if competitors have it and they don't (think OEM!), they are under enormous pressure to succeed there. But pedal based offerings don't harm their core business at all, it would only make their investment in crank based less valuable. I suspect that they'd still gladly licence out SPD SL for a reasonable sum, but can't because SL involves (this is purely speculation on my side!) some IP where they are licencees themselves and can't pass it on to sublicencees. The root licencor in question might be very interested in all other licencees doing Keo. (and Rally S suggests that some things have changed, IP running out or willingness to licence in SL form or some lawyers questioning the enforceability/validity of the IP involved)

madik

by madik

So the additional Q factor of +12-13 mm is for each pedal, so effectively legs will be 24-26 mm more apart?
Seams to me like big deal breaker. But it's similar to overall Q factor used on MTBs right? I don't ride MTBs tho. But what I remember the bigger Q factor wasn't something I was able to tell..
Functionality > Performance > Weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com