Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gplama

by gplama

Taiyoto wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 3:00 am
according to the youtuber, he has MTB, TT, Triathlon, Road Bike, Qfactor are very different, and the BMX is the mostly wider 170mm. So the legs can adapt any different Qfactor. He use the new favero in the Road Bike, can feel a little difference but is almost very small, The legs can adjust this qfactor 5mm difference (already adjust and reduce to -5mm less) finally the difference with the pedals are only +-5mm. It's not a big deal.
This isn't a debate about adaptation. People DO ride different bikes with different q-factors. That is beside the point of this "Professional" level road pedal being sold that's well outside standard dimensions for a ROAD pedal for a ROAD bike. 

The argument "This is the same q-factor as a MTB or a spin bike" doesn't take into consideration that a road bike isn't either a MTB or a spin bike. Cornering clearance on a spin bike hasn't ever been an issue.... unless you're really drunk while participating in the latest Peloton class. 

My knees won't (and haven't) blown out using these, but I'm not going to be changing my well-dialled road bike position and accept a cornering clearance compromise simply to use this product. I shouldn't need to. Nobody should. Even Favero themselves produce a more standard road power pedal with the Assioma (and prior to that the BePro) for a reason. That's what's road riders ride. 

Favero have put a SPD-SL pedal option on the market with dimensions that are prescribed very rarely by professional bike fitters after careful consideration and consultation of an individual. Is it wise for them to be selling these to the general public and dismissing the differences? I don't think it's wise.... but I'm no expert, so I contacted one. His reply wasn't a surprise. The CyclingTips article also looped in another professional bike fitter who raised the same concerns. 
Against what these professional bike fitters are saying, people are still claiming this is no big deal? I think it is. And I'll hold them accountable to this. To dismiss it gives a green light for more shitty non-standard products to hit the market. 

This is the same standard I hold power meter companies to over accuracy. The same standard I hold trainer companies to when they produce trainers that shred belts (*cough* Flux)....  I can't and won't dismiss this as no big deal when it's effectively the same thing. 

Favero has taken the cheap route on the manufacturing side of things and are selling the problem to the end user to deal with. They haven't provided ANY references to professional bike fitters or studies indicating making this kind of change is a non issue.... 

Having ridden these pedals extensively for over 12 months, I'm going with my instinct and experience. They're not staying on the bike. 

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Plus what about my other road bike(s) with 52-55mm q-factors? Why should I need to replace those or commit to some bodge like adding washers and then using different shoes with different cleat positions...all the while still only making up about 7-8mm out of 13mm?

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

gplama wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:16 am
Taiyoto wrote:
according to the youtuber, he has MTB, TT, Triathlon, Road Bike, Qfactor are very different, and the BMX is the mostly wider 170mm. So the legs can adapt any different Qfactor. He use the new favero in the Road Bike, can feel a little difference but is almost very small, The legs can adjust this qfactor 5mm difference (already adjust and reduce to -5mm less) finally the difference with the pedals are only +-5mm. It's not a big deal.
This isn't a debate about adaptation. People DO ride different bikes with different q-factors. That is beside the point of this "Professional" level road pedal being sold that's well outside standard dimensions for a ROAD pedal for a ROAD bike. 

The argument "This is the same q-factor as a MTB or a spin bike" doesn't take into consideration that a road bike isn't either a MTB or a spin bike. Cornering clearance on a spin bike hasn't ever been an issue.... unless you're really drunk while participating in the latest Peloton class. 

My knees won't (and haven't) blown out using these, but I'm not going to be changing my well-dialled road bike position and accept a cornering clearance compromise simply to use this product. I shouldn't need to. Nobody should. Even Favero themselves produce a more standard road power pedal with the Assioma (and prior to that the BePro) for a reason. That's what's road riders ride. 

Favero have put a SPD-SL pedal option on the market with dimensions that are prescribed very rarely by professional bike fitters after careful consideration and consultation of an individual. Is it wise for them to be selling these to the general public and dismissing the differences? I don't think it's wise.... but I'm no expert, so I contacted one. His reply wasn't a surprise. The CyclingTips article also looped in another professional bike fitter who raised the same concerns. 
Against what these professional bike fitters are saying, people are still claiming this is no big deal? I think it is. And I'll hold them accountable to this. To dismiss it gives a green light for more shitty non-standard products to hit the market. 

This is the same standard I hold power meter companies to over accuracy. The same standard I hold trainer companies to when they produce trainers that shred belts (*cough* Flux)....  I can't and won't dismiss this as no big deal when it's effectively the same thing. 

Favero has taken the cheap route on the manufacturing side of things and are selling the problem to the end user to deal with. They haven't provided ANY references to professional bike fitters or studies indicating making this kind of change is a non issue.... 

Having ridden these pedals extensively for over 12 months, I'm going with my instinct and experience. They're not staying on the bike. 
I agree 100%

I really hope your videos and negative user feedback forces them to fix this.

pmprego

by pmprego

They wanted to come up with something. This was the best they could do in the this time slot and investment capacity. They know all of the above and of course they are working on making a "normal" spd-sl pedal powermeter. The market will take care of telling them if this was a good or bad strategy.

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

your point maybe rigth for a pro rider, but for a.weekend rider only have 150 to.250 watts, it is not necessary to fit like a pro rider, now in Asia.would like a comfort rider position. of course if a pro rider rides 100km per day,.it.just a different story.comparing with a.weekend rider rides 200km per weekend. When I get the favero I will write a really opinion.

gplama

by gplama

Taiyoto wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 2:33 am
your point maybe rigth for a pro rider, but for a.weekend rider only have 150 to.250 watts, it is not necessary to fit like a pro rider,
On the front of the box is the word "PROFESSIONAL". 🤷🏻‍♂️

This product should at least meet the standards of a product a professional cyclist would use (on a road bike). It doesn't.

This aside, for what I do I need equipment that exceeds the standards of what the professionals use. Case in point the Shimano L/R power meter. This unit can not be used as a valid source to accurately compare other power meters to, and it's what a lot of pros use (are contracted to use).

5DII

by 5DII

gplama wrote:
Fri Jul 23, 2021 5:16 am
Taiyoto wrote:

Out of curiosity, what are the educational requirements and certifications required to become a professional bike fitter?

jch3n

by jch3n

FWIW the bike fitter I worked with recently, who is also a physio, thinks that these pedals are a good option and asserted that normal road bike stance width is probably too narrow for many, if not most, people. I think we need a sample size of more than 2-3 bike fitters...

I get that if you already have your position dialed, you shouldn't need to change it just to have power. Well then, you have plenty of other options besides these pedals. But for people who don't care as much, or are still figuring out their fit, these pedals still seem like they're worth considering.
Last edited by jch3n on Sat Jul 24, 2021 6:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gplama

by gplama

5DII wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 am
Out of curiosity, what are the educational requirements and certifications required to become a professional bike fitter?
The fitter I referenced - B. Exercise & Sports Science. B. Health Science (Clinical Myotherapy). 

gplama

by gplama

jch3n wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 5:39 am
I think we need a sample size of more than 2-3 bike fitters...
Exactly the kind of thing I'd expect Favero to do as part of their marketing of these. To date they've only quoted their beta testing pool as giving them positive feedback and validating the product. Which wasn't the case at all having being a part of that testing pool myself and voicing these concerns.

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

5DII wrote:
Sat Jul 24, 2021 3:52 am
Absolutely none. Which is why some of them (many) are so utterly useless.

FWIW i use shims to cant my cleats, i have different amounts of cant (and different cleat alignements along the axis of the shoe) depending on road/TT/mtb/CX, this is to account for stance width on each bike and my "usual" hip angle while riding on each bike. It's a bit hit and miss, and is not a prcise science, but meets my needs and has done for several decades on the road.

But to say that anyone can adapt to any q factor is misleading. Some are just too far out there. Much like adding 20 mm of stance, biomechancically it'll be a nightmare and as mentioned up there, anyone racing, or pressing on, is going to have some serious pedal strike issues.

Also, no *good* fitters will still be aiming for the smallest q-factor/stance width that is possible, thats gone the way of the dodo, like KOPS.
Good fitters will be looking for the correct stance width.

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

Today just arrived from Italy
first look
very easy to install and remove,, only takes 5 minutes

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Taiyoto wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 3:17 am
first look
How tall are you?

Also, what pedals are you coming from and is the wider q-factor noticeable?

I ask because while I intially wrote these off, I'm still thinking about getting these.

Taiyoto

by Taiyoto

Ride4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:14 am
Taiyoto wrote:
first look
How tall are you?

I ask because while I intially wrote these off, I'm still thinking about getting these.
Tomorrow I will test it, I'm 173cm, and use look, shimano road bike and Triathlon bike.
I will report hopely tomorrow

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ride4Life

by Ride4Life

Taiyoto wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 12:52 pm
Ride4Life wrote:
Thu Jul 29, 2021 11:14 am
Taiyoto wrote:
first look
How tall are you?

Tomorrow I will test it, I'm 173cm, and use look, shimano road bike and Triathlon bike.
I will report hopely tomorrow

Thanks.

Also, out of curiosity did you run the looks with the 2mm washers?

With Shimano, did you run regular or 4mm extended pedals? Any washers?.