Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Berzin1

by Berzin1

I was watching a comparision study video of the Vector 3s, the Pioneer and the Faveros.

One of the three testers stated that after the battery on the Faveros die, you have to throw them away because the internal battery is not replaceable.

Certainly this cannot be true, and if the battery does fail one day, it can be replaced?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Berzin1 wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:48 am
I was watching a comparision study video of the Vector 3s, the Pioneer and the Faveros.

One of the three testers stated that after the battery on the Faveros die, you have to throw them away because the internal battery is not replaceable.

Certainly this cannot be true, and if the battery does fail one day, it can be replaced?

The battery life for Assiomas is listed as 50 hours of ride time. Say in 4 years this is reduced to 30 hours due to battery fatigue...they'll still be perfectly usable. Say this is further reduced to 20 hours in another 3 years. Still usable, but maybe by then you'd think about replacing the battery?

Well that's were practicality comes into play. By then that's 7 years worth of "amortization" for US$650 spent. Replacing the proprietary battery might prove difficult, but then again in 7 years power meter pedals with equivalent features will probably cost US$250 anyway.

I don't feel the non-replaceable rechargeable battery is a sticking point

pedale

by pedale

You can buy all the electronics again, but if the battery dies prematurely (500 cycles with the battery life of those promises years of service) that something that Favero could fix after the warranty. Maybe.

Overall, in many of the magasine tests, I found the testers to be overly harsh with the Favero and hiding Garmin flaws. As if there was some advertising money involved.

Verctor3 are great but for most users assioma are better.

tnkn

by tnkn

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:36 am
tnkn wrote:
Wed Feb 13, 2019 8:03 am
Does anyone else have an issue with the pods being larger than their crank arm. I’m worried that this will increase the likelihood of them getting damaged.

One bad corner and they could be taken out.

Im running Dura Ace 9150 cranks. 170mm

It's very unlikely for the pod to get damaged before the pedal body itself. My Vector 2s had much more exposed pods and they never got damaged in a three crashes. The pedal bodies got scuffed up pretty badly on the sides, but they also survived.
Thanks for the reply. Just needed a bit of reassurance.

Berzin1

by Berzin1

As I did more research and found out the issues people and testers alike had with the Vector 3's, it made me wonder why Garmin would send them out for testing and eventual sale.

But the issues seem surmountable for the next generation of Vectors. Problem is, I can't wait that long, whenever that may be.

And as much as I would have liked to have the same GPS/power meter brand to keep things as compatible as possible, the price point between the Vector and the Favero was also a deciding factor.

I think I'll be happy with the Favero and the Wahoo Elemnt.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Not sure how big a deal this is, but my Assioma pods do rub against the thick edges of cleat openings on shoe covers like Velotoze. Something less disposable than the latex on Velotoze might abrade the plastic on the pods.

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:53 am
Not sure how big a deal this is, but my Assioma pods do rub against the thick edges of cleat openings on shoe covers like Velotoze. Something less disposable than the latex on Velotoze might abrade the plastic on the pods.
Used them with Winter Santini OverShoes, Toes Overshoes from Castelli and GIRO Winter Overshoes and no rubbing on mine..

BTW, since u also have Favero's and got idea that u ride a lot.. How many km's u have on ur Favero's until now? Im 13750 km and still no any serious problems...

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Ive only got about 8000 on mine (just over a season) and find that although they are still reliable and early days, they are still a bitch to clip in properly with Look cleats, more so with shoe covers. And yes, they also rub a bit on the pods but my pods are pretty f**ked now anyway. Mind I bought a duo set off ebay for less than 450€ so the fact that they worked at all was a source of amazement to me!

3Pio

by 3Pio

Leviathan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:30 pm
Ive only got about 8000 on mine (just over a season) and find that although they are still reliable and early days, they are still a bitch to clip in properly with Look cleats, more so with shoe covers. And yes, they also rub a bit on the pods but my pods are pretty f**ked now anyway. Mind I bought a duo set off ebay for less than 450€ so the fact that they worked at all was a source of amazement to me!
I used mine with Look cleats as well (gray grip and non grip version), and no problems with clip in, or clip out (that was a problem in few km's)... Even they work ok with Look original Cleats, i found that i prefer original Favero (Xpedo RC-7), since they have a bit more float which work better with my feet length discrepancy.. I succeed to adjust with gray ones as well, but i needed 2000 km for that :) , so i just use Red Favero cleats now....And definetely no rub on my pods....

Leviathan

by Leviathan

I find they have a first "click" then you need to push hard to make sure they are properly seated. This is with the Look grey grip which now have no grip left!

Of course the solution is to just switch to the reccomended cleats but given, for example, today I pulled a cleat clean off my shoe as I forgot to check the bolts recently, most of the time I need to change cleats urgently so just get whats in stock! Gravel driveway..

3Pio

by 3Pio

Leviathan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 pm
I find they have a first "click" then you need to push hard to make sure they are properly seated. This is with the Look grey grip which now have no grip left!

Of course the solution is to just switch to the reccomended cleats but given, for example, today I pulled a cleat clean off my shoe as I forgot to check the bolts recently, most of the time I need to change cleats urgently so just get whats in stock! Gravel driveway..
Strange.. I was using Look Gray Grip cleats until last week (1500 km), and no problems with click in or out... No difference here vs original cleats.. But i switched to original cleats, since they provide me better fit for my pedaling (and last a lot, and also no creaking/clicking which i had with Look Grip cleats)...

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Leviathan wrote:
Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:44 pm

I found this true of new authentic Look cleats, but worn cleats click in pretty reliably. Sometimes when there is mud on the pedal or cleat, I do need to twist my ankle a bit to get the second "click."

dricked

by dricked

I find them hard to unclip from even though I’ve got the tension backed off and using the supplied cleats. My 16nm keo blades are only slightly harder to get out of.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dricked wrote:
Thu Mar 07, 2019 1:22 am
I find them hard to unclip from even though I’ve got the tension backed off and using the supplied cleats. My 16nm keo blades are only slightly harder to get out of.

Yep, I also found this to be true with new cleats. Even with worn cleats, it's hard to clip out with the my leg at full extension and I usually try to clip out with the crank near TDC. I haven't tried the Xpedo cleats yet, and really don't want to since I use Vector 3s on my other bike...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:53 am
This will influence the readings of the power meter. A small 2mm cleat spacer should fix it
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14