Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

Thinking to get this pedals as my first PowerMeter based on positive reviews they get.

But also in comments on DCRainmaker review, i can find that there is peoples who are not satisfied from their "pedal function" in term how they clip in/clip out even choosing different cleats and different spring version..

So since im using Look Keo Blade 2 Ti pedals 12 nm (and Keo Blade Max 12nm on other bike), and im satisfied with gray cleats (non grip version), if some of u have those Assioma, can u please compare them just in pedal function to Look Pedals?

And what about compatibility with Look original cleats? Are they 100% compatible?

And the big difference i can see between them is surface contact area (Look Blade have much bigger surface area), and they both have similar stack. So does this compromise overal pedalling experience? Because maybe they are good as power meter, but if the price for that is compromise in their original primary function (pedals), then probably i'll have to check something else (Stages or maybe Vector 3).

But please let's talk just about Assioma Favero here (for now) and just about their primary function, Pedals...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

silvalis

by silvalis

Did you read the section on cleats in this dcrainmaker article?
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/pow ... and-stacks
Chasse patate

3Pio

by 3Pio

silvalis wrote:Did you read the section on cleats in this dcrainmaker article?
https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2017/09/pow ... and-stacks

I read it.. But it's not clear enough how it is in real world and if there is real issuess or not, and never ever comparation to the original Look Keo Pedals.

He says they work ok with brand new Look Cleats, but if they are wear out there is issues in popping out (how wear out? 500 km? 1000 km?)..

But i found some comments from users who have some issuess in clip in/clip out... I found sometimes Ray's review are so detailed, but sometimes missing the primary function review and lost that important thing in all that details.. In this case how they feel as pedals so that why i would like some real users opinions and reviews

Kurets

by Kurets

Essentially, through choosing a different and not 100% compatible style of cleat as compared to the Look Keo you are treading into out of spec. instantly. So, either you accept that and don't worry because you can't know when or if the cleats stop working (after all, ride conditions will play a big role as will probably the users walking habits in cycling shoes). Or, you simply replace your Look cleats with Extendo and avoid the issue.

silvalis

by silvalis

I think the take away message from the dcr article was essentially "works fine, just change your cleats when it doesnt".
Chasse patate

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

I bought a pair last year. only one side worked. spent hours trying to get it working, and diagnostics noted no problems. shipped it back and went to vectors. no problems.

silvalis

by silvalis

I'm hanging out for vector 3's just because they look better haha.
Chasse patate

AZR3

by AZR3

Mine are still on back order, hopefully in a few weeks I’ll have them and can give an impression to those that are interested

Chris3g

by Chris3g

I’m very happy with mine, they work great and weigh less than vector 3 :)

I’m using them with the grey Keo grip cleats, no issues but they were new.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Kurets wrote:Essentially, through choosing a different and not 100% compatible style of cleat as compared to the Look Keo you are treading into out of spec. instantly. So, either you accept that and don't worry because you can't know when or if the cleats stop working (after all, ride conditions will play a big role as will probably the users walking habits in cycling shoes). Or, you simply replace your Look cleats with Extendo and avoid the issue.

First i decided to post this thread, after i read that people who have Bepro and Assioma have bigger problems with Expedo Cleats vs Look Original, but also issuess with Look original cleats. Still not enough details about this, just comments (Read in Ray review, and comments bellow..)

Also i think 6 deg of float of Expedo cleats will be too much for me (dont know if i dont try it :) )

silvalis wrote:I think the take away message from the dcr article was essentially "works fine, just change your cleats when it doesnt".

To me look more like "Ok, let's mention this without any conclusion (so ok, i done that in the test, even i did not say anything), and let's hide this possible issue in all details which are not important if pedals not work as their primary function: Beeing pedals" So a lot of details about power thing, and no detail or even comparation of their primary function (if they are look compatible, why not comparation at all with Look pedals?) .. And some of his reviews, im taking with grain of salt. For example he is so confident with recommandation of Wahoo KICKR trainers, and in same time so many complaints and problems around about them (which he dont mention at all). But let's back on our topic... (again he choose to talk details about software thing, but not on mechanical quality and issuess)

mike wrote:I bought a pair last year. only one side worked. spent hours trying to get it working, and diagnostics noted no problems. shipped it back and went to vectors. no problems.

Did u had a chance to ride them at all? If u do please tell me how u compare them in overall pedaling feel vs Look pedals?

silvalis wrote:I'm hanging out for vector 3's just because they look better haha.

Im more in Favero direction vs Vector 3 because:

- Lighter
-Cheaper
-Lower Stack

Still thinking Vector 3 just because their advanced cycling dynamics (look that can help in fitting ideal position), and yes, they look better :)

AZR3 wrote:Mine are still on back order, hopefully in a few weeks I’ll have them and can give an impression to those that are interested

Where did u purchase u'rs? And i'll be very thankfull if u do the detailed comparation to ur old pedals (hope they are Look :) ), and overall pedaling feel..

Chris3g wrote:I’m very happy with mine, they work great and weigh less than vector 3 :)

I’m using them with the grey Keo grip cleats, no issues but they were new.

Yes, as i mentioned, im thinking Favero because they are lighter (and cheaper :) ).

Where did u purchase u'rs? And what pedals u used before? Can u be more detailed in comparation? (just as pedals, for power and similar things, i allready have idea). When i used Keo Grip Cleats on my Look pedals, there were some issues.
On Keo Max after 1000 km, the overal clip in/clip out was not so perfect (after i remove part of grip rubber, everything fine again), on Keo Blade 2 ti, creaking noise. So i just switched to Non-Grip gray version, and im very satisfied (and for walking i use cleat rubber covers). BTW, on last pair of this NonGrip Cleats i rode 3200 km before i need to switch them

So if Favero Assioma work same as Look pedals in overall feel using original Look Keo Non Grip version gray cleats, then that's it, i found my power meter. And still wondering what is negative side of less surface area in Faveros's vs Look Keo Blade 2 (when i switched from the Keo Max to Keo Blade 2, i prefer overall pedal feeling on Blade 2. Not sure if thats was because of lower stack, bigger surface area or both...) But in any way dont want to compromse my pedaling comfort with switching to new power meter pedals..Another thing which is kinda important to me, im using Ergon Cleat tool (to be able to adjust my cleats position). When i tried using compatible Look Cleats (which was not Look), i could not use this tool (the cleats wont fit in the tool).

Not sure if Expedo cleats are exactly the same shape (so this tool using is possible), or will be similar problem (if i have to use their cleats)

AZR3

by AZR3

3Pio wrote: Where did u purchase u'rs? And i'll be very thankfull if u do the detailed comparation to ur old pedals (hope they are Look :) ), and overall pedaling feel...

I bought them from CleverTraining almost 2 months ago, seems they have a large back order. My current pedals are Xpedo Thrust 8 Ti which basically use the same cleat as the Duo.

mike
Resident Pro

by mike

yes I rode them. they felt fine. didn't have a chance to do thorough long rides since they didn't work out of the box. only one side worked. not worth the money in my opinion. better to go for more reliable pedal like garmin. I would also stay away from cycleops pedals powertap.

Chris3g

by Chris3g

3Pio wrote:
Yes, as i mentioned, im thinking Favero because they are lighter (and cheaper :) ).

Where did u purchase u'rs? And what pedals u used before? Can u be more detailed in comparation? (just as pedals, for power and similar things, i allready have idea). When i used Keo Grip Cleats on my Look pedals, there were some issues.
On Keo Max after 1000 km, the overal clip in/clip out was not so perfect (after i remove part of grip rubber, everything fine again), on Keo Blade 2 ti, creaking noise. So i just switched to Non-Grip gray version, and im very satisfied (and for walking i use cleat rubber covers). BTW, on last pair of this NonGrip Cleats i rode 3200 km before i need to switch them

So if Favero Assioma work same as Look pedals in overall feel using original Look Keo Non Grip version gray cleats, then that's it, i found my power meter. And still wondering what is negative side of less surface area in Faveros's vs Look Keo Blade 2 (when i switched from the Keo Max to Keo Blade 2, i prefer overall pedal feeling on Blade 2. Not sure if thats was because of lower stack, bigger surface area or both...) But in any way dont want to compromse my pedaling comfort with switching to new power meter pedals..Another thing which is kinda important to me, im using Ergon Cleat tool (to be able to adjust my cleats position). When i tried using compatible Look Cleats (which was not Look), i could not use this tool (the cleats wont fit in the tool).

Not sure if Expedo cleats are exactly the same shape (so this tool using is possible), or will be similar problem (if i have to use their cleats)

I got them from power meter city. They were very proactive keeping in touch regarding the expected delivery date - i think i ordered them at the end of august, the estimated delivery time was early sept and i received them the 2nd week of sept.

My previous pedals were garmin vector 2s. I ordered these to upgrade to dual side power, drop a little weight, and eliminate the vector 2 hanging pedal pod (although vector 3 has also done that). As far as just being pedals, i don't notice any difference. I don't really have any experience with various other types of non-power pedals or a lot of cycling experience in general, so unfortunately i can't be of much help to you there. I don't notice any issues with keo grip cleats but it's possible i'm not so attuned to small differences due to lack of experience.

robertbb

by robertbb

Does anyone have a picture of these pedals on a Campy 11 (C/R/SR) crank? I'd love to know how the pod looks and if it sits flush against the crank arm, is wider than the crank arm, etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WR74

by WR74

Interested in the opinions around the Assioma vs Vector. Looking at getting some "power" pedals and the significant price difference between the two makes the Assioma a very attractive option

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk