Favero Assioma PowerMeter Pedals

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

3Pio wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 am
deepakvrao wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:48 pm
3Pio wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 pm
In Meanwhile i contacted Favero's again about issue i have (4 th time), so will share if they provide proper solution and stay behind their product and warranty or we are on our own in the case of problems....

Interested how are everyone else experiances regarding Favero warranty?
Sorry to hear, but it was the same issuye for me. Worked sometimes, sometimes the left would drain and sometimes the right. I live in India, and anything coming in is charged 50% duty even if warranty replacement, so I asked them to ship to France when I was there on vacation.

They sent only the sensors, and I had to pay 16 Euro for shipping.

Sadly, after the first charge even the new sensors discharged unevenly. FW 3.0.

Second charge and things seem fine now till about 20 hours of use. I keep a spreadsheet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Interested about another thing.. In ur case of getting new sensors.. Did u send them ur old faulty ones back to them, or keep them?
They didn't want them back, but they de activate them, so you cannot use them anymore.

3Pio

by 3Pio

deepakvrao wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 3:35 pm
3Pio wrote:
Sun May 12, 2019 6:59 am
deepakvrao wrote:
Sat May 11, 2019 3:48 pm
3Pio wrote:
Thu May 09, 2019 9:21 pm
In Meanwhile i contacted Favero's again about issue i have (4 th time), so will share if they provide proper solution and stay behind their product and warranty or we are on our own in the case of problems....

Interested how are everyone else experiances regarding Favero warranty?
Sorry to hear, but it was the same issuye for me. Worked sometimes, sometimes the left would drain and sometimes the right. I live in India, and anything coming in is charged 50% duty even if warranty replacement, so I asked them to ship to France when I was there on vacation.

They sent only the sensors, and I had to pay 16 Euro for shipping.

Sadly, after the first charge even the new sensors discharged unevenly. FW 3.0.

Second charge and things seem fine now till about 20 hours of use. I keep a spreadsheet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Interested about another thing.. In ur case of getting new sensors.. Did u send them ur old faulty ones back to them, or keep them?
They didn't want them back, but they de activate them, so you cannot use them anymore.

Did not asked because i wanted to try to use faulty ones.. Asked because seem Favero play not very fair regarding support and warranty.. But will see how this will end and will share....Still hope that is just language missunderstunding, since they really have a nice product, and will be really bad if they ruin the whole experience with after sale support...

All i want is to have reliable trouble free power meter since i really use it a lot (during the ride and post ride...), and to get proper customer support in case of problems...

And sorry for bothering u haiving another questiong regarding The replacament sensors they send it to u..

Are they brand new or refurbished? And please share ur battery experience with replacament sensors vs original u had after some time of using... I still hope that i wont need to replace my original sensors with new, but if 5th time problem happen will like to have them replaced before im out of warranty.....

Thanks a lot....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

shawnito

by shawnito

Another drain case here... mine is right pedal. I opened a ticket about a month ago and got trough the firmware update, try another charger, try another USB cable, reset pedal... but the right pedal is still draining

Enviado desde mi iPhone utilizando Tapatalk

AC0

by AC0

My right pedal drained once. Followed the reset procedure, did a recharge and it's been good since. If you want to track battery capacity with an actual value, I have used the "nRF connect" android app to read the battery status.

On another note, I noticed some play in left pedal about a month ago. The two inner bearings had lots of play, but since I didn't have any replacements I greased them and put them back in. Last week I got some new bearings and when I opened up the pedal, the two inner bearings had pretty much disintegrated. The outer bearing is still ok. All three of the bearings only have a metal shield and the 'oil retainer' doesn't seem to create much of a seal, so it's pretty easy for water to get in. Combine that with small bearings and it's easy to see how the bearings were damaged.

I sourced replacement bearings with rubber seals and used lots of AquaProof on the oil retainer. Hopefully that helps. The rubber seals also slow down how much the pedals spin when clipping in.

Dispite the bearings issue, I'm very happy with the pedals, powermeter works great.

AC

robertbb

by robertbb

AC0 wrote:
Wed May 15, 2019 6:35 am
My right pedal drained once. Followed the reset procedure, did a recharge and it's been good since. If you want to track battery capacity with an actual value, I have used the "nRF connect" android app to read the battery status.

On another note, I noticed some play in left pedal about a month ago. The two inner bearings had lots of play, but since I didn't have any replacements I greased them and put them back in. Last week I got some new bearings and when I opened up the pedal, the two inner bearings had pretty much disintegrated. The outer bearing is still ok. All three of the bearings only have a metal shield and the 'oil retainer' doesn't seem to create much of a seal, so it's pretty easy for water to get in. Combine that with small bearings and it's easy to see how the bearings were damaged.

I sourced replacement bearings with rubber seals and used lots of AquaProof on the oil retainer. Hopefully that helps. The rubber seals also slow down how much the pedals spin when clipping in.

Dispite the bearings issue, I'm very happy with the pedals, powermeter works great.

AC
Would be very interested to know which bearings you got, and if they're available online. I like the idea of better weather protection, and also slowing the free spin when clipping in. :thumbup:

AC0

by AC0

You need 2 inner and 1 outer bearing per pedal. I got packs of 10 with rubber seals on eBay.

The bearings are standard sizes.
Inner: 10mmx15mmx4mm - 6700-2RS
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-6700-2RS-10x ... 2589188722

Outer: 6mmx13mmx5mm - 686-2RS
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/10-686-2RS-6x13 ... 3219250339

AC

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I ran into the fast drain issue today and I'm not entirely sure the pedal is actually draining fast. It seems to be a reporting error as I briefly charged the pedals again and the left went from 15% to about 50%. Then it jumped back up to about 95% after my ride.

kevinw

by kevinw

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:31 am
I ran into the fast drain issue today and I'm not entirely sure the pedal is actually draining fast. It seems to be a reporting error as I briefly charged the pedals again and the left went from 15% to about 50%. Then it jumped back up to about 95% after my ride.
Thats interesting. Can anybody with fast draining pedals confirm that the pedals do actually go flat and stop functioning early?

shawnito

by shawnito

kevinw wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2019 9:31 am
Thats interesting. Can anybody with fast draining pedals confirm that the pedals do actually go flat and stop functioning early?
Yes they do, completely flat and not waking up. Anyway after a reset guided by the Favero Tech Support, now my pedals drain evenly, four weeks and still both at 30%. This drain issue seems like a firmware bug more than hardware related.

AGB

by AGB

Agree with Shawnito thats its' most likely a firmware bug....

.....I had the battery drain issue on the right pedal after about 18months of flawless operation.....contacted Favero (they were very responsive) - was consistently doing the calibration step before each ride (which auto sends a file back to Favero) Favero could see and confirmed the pedal had an issue on battery drainage.....downloaded the favero update....full-recharge....issue persisted as right pedal drained much faster.....then did another FULL recharge overnight.....problem seems to be fixed permanently and have recharged multiple times since then.

Hope this info can help others....
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.00kg sans - WinSpace Hyper 50mm wheel upgrade

tothemax

by tothemax

After about 10k of use, I finally decided to swap the bearings on my Assioma's. I knew there was some grinding that didn't feel smooth, but I didn't expect to see the bearings in these conditions when I removed them.
Old bearings pictuted below. They completely disintegrated within the pedal body. Replacement ones spin nice and smooth!

Can't get the image to show up. Direct link to photo: https://imgur.com/6edAukK

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Quick info for future reference:
Stack height difference between Favero Assioma and Shimano Dura-ace, Ultegra

Cleat thickness: Look 7.4mm , SPD-SL 4.9mm
Pedal only stack height: Favero Assioma 10.5mm, DA9100 8.8mm, Ultegra6800 9.7mm
Total stack height: Favero Assioma: 17.9mm, DA9100 13.7mm, Ultegra6800 14.6mm

while the Favero Assioma is already thinner than Garmin Vector 3 and PowerTap pedals, it is still taller than Shimano high-end pedals.

AGB

by AGB

tothemax wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 9:21 pm
After about 10k of use, I finally decided to swap the bearings on my Assioma's. I knew there was some grinding that didn't feel smooth, but I didn't expect to see the bearings in these conditions when I removed them.
Old bearings pictuted below. They completely disintegrated within the pedal body. Replacement ones spin nice and smooth!

Can't get the image to show up. Direct link to photo: https://imgur.com/6edAukK

I understand that Favero have a bearing replacement kit.....see YT vid below for very detailed instructions on how to install it... :thumbup:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3vVMwvjSBeg
2017 Giant TCR SL1 | 6.80kg sans
2019 Giant Propel SL0 | 7.00kg sans - WinSpace Hyper 50mm wheel upgrade

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Looks like the Cycling Dynamics firmware is official now.

3Pio

by 3Pio

Did u manage to update? Im still not get the option to update using their app...

Edit: I just did the update. Now firmware 4.04 Will test later, but seem not support PCO offset :( which look usefull to me, for adjusting the cleats..Anyway, the real rides will show if there is benefit at all from new analyses included in this firmware

Last edited by 3Pio on Mon Jul 22, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com