Quick release recommendation

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

woogie11

by woogie11

Hey guys. I recently bought a pair of the HED ardennes black which I am really loving, I can't say the same for the QR's. They do not inspire confidence, they have that cheap "mush it till it's tight" feeling. I'm sure that's not the best description but, Shimano Dura Ace, on the other hand, have a very positive feel and "snap" to them. Could you recommend possible replacements?

I was browsing through the very thoughtful Fair Wheel Bikes write up and the KCNC ti-road seems like one possibility. Any opinions? Thanks very much for any help.

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Not the lightest, but I really like the DT-SWISS ratcheting style of QR.

(p.s. I have a set of HED Ardennes too, and use the standard HED QR. It does feel mushy, but after nearly 2 years and 17k miles, I've had zero issues)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Anything open cam will feel mush compared to DA

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk
Using Tapatalk

istigatrice

by istigatrice

^was just about to recommend Shimano or Campy/Fulcrum skewers. Not a WW part though.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

toiyuet

by toiyuet

DA 9000 always the best, 9100 looks cheap.

1415chris

by 1415chris

You would be amazed what you can find typing "quick release" in forum's search function ;)
Last edited by 1415chris on Wed Nov 01, 2017 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

woogie11 wrote:Hey guys. I recently bought a pair of the HED ardennes black which I am really loving, I can't say the same for the QR's. They do not inspire confidence, they have that cheap "mush it till it's tight" feeling. I'm sure that's not the best description but, Shimano Dura Ace, on the other hand, have a very positive feel and "snap" to them. Could you recommend possible replacements?

I was browsing through the very thoughtful Fair Wheel Bikes write up and the KCNC ti-road seems like one possibility. Any opinions? Thanks very much for any help.

I just bought 2 pairs of these on AliExpress. $14. They take a while to get to the US but they are very well made and very very light. So far no issues after 600+ miles on my main bike. A Fast decent at 47mph. I’m 215lbs without gear. I had a previous pair from the bikehub.com but they are old and I wanted something with red on them. Those are still good and have over 4 years of abuse and no issues.
Here is the picture. They have many others but these are 40gm. And have a lot of reviews.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bilwit

by bilwit

I've tried Tune U20 and Ti ones in the likeness of the KCNC design but always found them to be a little sketchy and not worth the weight reduction, though a lot of people here will swear by them. That said, IMO Extralite Streeters are the bee's knees and won't break the bank either.

prendrefeu

by prendrefeu

I no longer see the need for quick release skewers unless you are actually in a race where seconds make a difference or strict-rules group ride scenario.
Bolt-on skewers are often lighter and more secure.
Exp001 || Other projects in the works.

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

prendrefeu wrote:I no longer see the need for quick release skewers unless you are actually in a race where seconds make a difference or strict-rules group ride scenario.
Bolt-on skewers are often lighter and more secure.
^ Second that - they look so much sleeker too. And nobody is gonna mention The Rules to you should you press in the skewer levers at the wrong angle.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chris3g

by Chris3g

I have these skewers - http://mtzoom.com/skewers/the-monroe/

they are 36g for the pair and clamp very well, i haven't had any issues or issues with slipping or noises.

however i'm not really sure about the strength/safety aspect of making a skewer axle from 7075 alloy, it makes me a little nervous and i've been thinking about just going back to much heavier fulcrum QRs.

BLD25

by BLD25

I have the Zipp Stainless Aero skewers, and while not super WW light, they are a good compromise of weight, aero(supposedly), cost, and strength. The KCNC Z6 steel ones are pretty good too and in the same compromise range. I still use the front Z6, but the rear bushing wore out, probably because I change and switch wheels often.

mike001100

by mike001100

Tune AC14 are the best I have dealt with.

Clamping force wise, the DT Swiss are excellent, but really heavy.

"Screw on type" releases are a no-no besides the DT Swiss - the DT swiss are made so that the handle rotates, while the base stays in the same position. Things like the Tune Skyline will exert torque onto the frame as they are tightened. Not good.

salesguy

by salesguy

charlieboy52000 wrote:
woogie11 wrote:Hey guys. I recently bought a pair of the HED ardennes black which I am really loving, I can't say the same for the QR's. They do not inspire confidence, they have that cheap "mush it till it's tight" feeling. I'm sure that's not the best description but, Shimano Dura Ace, on the other hand, have a very positive feel and "snap" to them. Could you recommend possible replacements?

I just bought 2 pairs of these on AliExpress. $14. They take a while to get to the US but they are very well made and very very light. So far no issues after 600+ miles on my main bike. A Fast decent at 47mph. I’m 215lbs without gear. I had a previous pair from the bikehub.com but they are old and I wanted something with red on them. Those are still good and have over 4 years of abuse and no issues.
Here is the picture. They have many others but these are 40gm. And have a lot of reviews.

That's funny - I just bought a set of these yesterday on aliexpress, instead of paying 5x for KCNC. Glad to hear they are decent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stockae92

by stockae92

I have KCNC ti, works great so far, no complain. :)