Shrink wrapping di2

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
simplemind

by simplemind

simplemind wrote:
avispa wrote:
Ghost234 wrote:Where people are buying their shrink tubing? Every place I go has tubing that is at most 1.5 inches long - much too short for what I am trying to do.

I actually prefer the Panduit type spiral cable warp over the shrink tubing. If you have to work on your bike for any reason, the spiral warp is easier to deal with and it's cheaper in the long run. Just search spiral wrap or cable warp on the web. Also, look for pictures of the Movistar team, especially in when they were on Campy V2. They used this method extensively.

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Copapa-Polyethylene-Spiral-Computer-6MM-Length21M/dp/B01LYF1GDV/ref=pd_day0_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LYF1GDV&pd_rd_r=M0BX355T48SJ1E6ZNN81&pd_rd_w=EjpaI&pd_rd_wg=Mgsac&psc=1&refRID=M0BX355T48SJ1E6ZNN81

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

by Weenie

Disc0

by Disc0

I've had very good luck with these guys:

https://www.cableorganizer.com/

I used their nylon cable sleeving (with heat shrink tubing closing the ends) on road bike and motorcycle wiring. Both applications have held up beautifully for years.

avispa

by avispa

morganb wrote:Also do you know where I can buy some in small quantities? The only places I see listing it seem to be $150+ quantities.

Send me a PM I’ll gladly help you out...

avispa

by avispa

simplemind wrote:
simplemind wrote:
avispa wrote:
Ghost234 wrote:Where people are buying their shrink tubing? Every place I go has tubing that is at most 1.5 inches long - much too short for what I am trying to do.

I actually prefer the Panduit type spiral cable warp over the shrink tubing. If you have to work on your bike for any reason, the spiral warp is easier to deal with and it's cheaper in the long run. Just search spiral wrap or cable warp on the web. Also, look for pictures of the Movistar team, especially in when they were on Campy V2. They used this method extensively.

Is this what you're talking about?

https://www.amazon.com/Copapa-Polyethylene-Spiral-Computer-6MM-Length21M/dp/B01LYF1GDV/ref=pd_day0_23_2?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B01LYF1GDV&pd_rd_r=M0BX355T48SJ1E6ZNN81&pd_rd_w=EjpaI&pd_rd_wg=Mgsac&psc=1&refRID=M0BX355T48SJ1E6ZNN81

[ ] Yes
[ ] No

Yes that’s it.... but that’s the cheap version... the Pandiut is stiffer and thicker.

simplemind

by simplemind

Yes that’s it.... but that’s the cheap version... the Pandiut is stiffer and thicker.[/quote]

Thanks, what diameter would you suggest??

avispa

by avispa

simplemind wrote:Thanks, what diameter would you suggest??

Not more than 6mm on the thicker Panduit brand. You can use 4mm, but it may be too tight when wrapping it.

With the cheaper and thinner version that comes in the clear bag (not sure brand), I’d use 4mm as the 6mm and up would be too flimsy and loose when you wrap it.

egebhardt

by egebhardt

that looks cool and all but when you want to take it apart or make changes, it's a bitch.
Eric in San Carlos, CA

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

egebhardt wrote:that looks cool and all but when you want to take it apart or make changes, it's a bitch.

You're right. Removing the shrink tubing will be a complete PITA. I used the installation as an excuse to run fresh brake cables, retape the bars, and just tidy things up. But indeed, I certainly wouldn't want to do this more than once per season.

sugarkane
in the industry

by sugarkane

remember the di2 plug is 6mm wide so you'll need somthing bigger than that at a minim other wise you'll never get the di2 cable through.
i preference is for 8mm ribbon heat shrink or flat heat shrink. works for di2 and eps, removal is easy ( don't use the stuff with glue in it though ) take a sharp pair of scissors and run one blade between the Di and brake cable.. its better than a razor blade that can chop up the di cable..