Shimano DA hydro hose replacement : how much brake fluid needed?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Delorre

by Delorre

If I want to replace the hydro hoses on my bike to get rid of the easy couplers, how much brake fluid do I need for the whole system? Would 50ml be enough? And is the standard Shimano bleed kit also suitable for the latest 9170 shifters?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

zank

by zank

Yes, that will be plenty. New systems that are not pre-bled come with a 50 cc bottle for each brake.

Delorre

by Delorre

zank wrote:Yes, that will be plenty. New systems that are not pre-bled come with a 50 cc bottle for each brake.

That's my question actually. Do you need 50cc for each brake, or is 50cc enough for a complete bike?

ms6073

by ms6073

As long as you don't get any debris/contamination in the 'funnel' while bleeding the system, you can reuse the excess on the other brake lever. Be sure check the spares you received with the bike to ensure you have a funnel adapter required for the ST-R9150/R9170 levers. This is supplied with the levers in the retail box set and should be included with complete bikes as well, but if you bought the bike built from a local shop, it is possible the shop kept that adapter.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

I think I used about 30-40ml for both brakes (I had a 50ml bottle of fluid and had plenty left).

J.