Vittoria Corsa G+ tubular leaking air from sidewalls...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

3Pio

by 3Pio

After few months of riding clinchers, i get back on my tubs wheels with Vittoria Corsa G+. On the rear i have brand new tire, on the front tire is glued few months ago, and have like 1900 km.

On this tire i had a puncture few months ago, and fix it with Tufo Extreme Sealant. Probably the sealant was dried up (and start to leak a little bit) , so few weeks ago i put Vittoria Pit Stop sealant (im not sure it's ok to mix them, but in that moment wanted to test the Vittoria Pit Stop).

I pump the tire, no leaking noticed, and i finally i put those wheels few days ago. First ride, i noticed a slow leak, ok.. No problems.. I decide to put again Tufo Extreme Sealant, and looked like no leaking.. Two days ago, on the ride after 90 minutes, almost completely flat. Tried to pump the tire, but whole valve was blocked from the sealant, so i had to ride home with very low pressure. Yesterday i cleaned the valve, and valve extendor from all sealant (now i can pump with no problems), and i put the tire in the water to check if there is leak or not (i add a little more Tufo sealant before). And suprise.. There was no leaking from small cuts on the tire, but from the sidewalls..

Something like this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgPAIZbDl9E

Why this happened? Did i mess the thing with mixing PitStop and Tufo Sealant? Or just Vittoria Corsa G+ are fragile tire? In the period of non riding (few months, from May to October), i was keeping the wheels InDoor in my working room, so no extreme temperature changes or something...

But seem that as soon as i finish the Vittoria stock i have, i'll definetely switch to Continental tires (bought Sprinter to test them..)

sungod

by sungod

air is leaking into the gap between tube and carcass, the sidewalls are relatively porous, resulting in the effect you see

if they deflated while stored and there was sealant in them, the tube may have stuck to itself then holed when re-inflated

but check that the valve extender is sealed, on g+ tyres i found some of my extenders that were fine with veloflex didn't make a good seal, a wrap of ptfe tape on the thread will fix it, depending on the position and tightness of the rim around the stem it's possible for air to bleed out that way as well

if it is the tube leaking, it may be the hole is not in a good position for sealant, you could put in a lot of sealant, inflate, then slowly tilt/rotate the wheel to try and ensure the tube is well coated even on the side away from the road

get veloflex next time :)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

sungod wrote:air is leaking into the gap between tube and carcass, the sidewalls are relatively porous, resulting in the effect you see

if they deflated while stored and there was sealant in them, the tube may have stuck to itself then holed when re-inflated

but check that the valve extender is sealed, on g+ tyres i found some of my extenders that were fine with veloflex didn't make a good seal, a wrap of ptfe tape on the thread will fix it, depending on the position and tightness of the rim around the stem it's possible for air to bleed out that way as well

if it is the tube leaking, it may be the hole is not in a good position for sealant, you could put in a lot of sealant, inflate, then slowly tilt/rotate the wheel to try and ensure the tube is well coated even on the side away from the road

get veloflex next time :)

Yes, this make logic :) Even i was trying to dont be deflated with sealant inside of them, there was period beeing completely deflated (when i was on holliday). So probablyu when i reinflated they holed in that part.

I checked the valve extender :) and even replace it with new one, and checked if there is leaking in that part (in the watter).

And last night i put a lot of sealant :), and put the wheel tilted on that side hoping that sealant will fix the punctures on the sidewall :)

And definetely next time i'll give a chance to Veloflex (after i wear out Vittorias i have and after that wear out Sprinters i just bought :) )

And when i was buying Corsa G+ tubs, i did not buy Veloflex because they was heavier :) How lame i was.... :)

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

I think this problem is not just specific to Vittorias so don't need to beat yourself about the choice of tires. I did happen to have the same problem and some googling informed me that sidewall leaks happen because for some reason the inner tube is leaking. As with all leaks, sealant may or may not work. Pitstop is a poor sealant, I recently used Orange on a punctured tire mid ride and it was good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

3Pio

by 3Pio

Kayrehn wrote:I think this problem is not just specific to Vittorias so don't need to beat yourself about the choice of tires. I did happen to have the same problem and some googling informed me that sidewall leaks happen because for some reason the inner tube is leaking. As with all leaks, sealant may or may not work. Pitstop is a poor sealant, I recently used Orange on a punctured tire mid ride and it was good.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Refill it yesterday with Tufo Extreme sealant, put the wheel overnight tilted on the side of the leak, and as i can see now hold air. I'll wait to check until tommorow morning how will be, but probably i'll have some more riding on this tire..