can i make a 54cm frameset fit me for a trainer setup (normally on a 56)?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

motorthings

by motorthings

I am shopping for a frameset to use on my kickr trainer only (will never see the road), and I want a sanity check on if a 54cm frame should be workable.

I ride a 56cm in cannondale road bikes, and in my santa cruz stigmata, and require a zero setback seatpost (short femurs, i guess) to get the fit right - multiple fits, including a retul have confirmed this. Given that info, it seems like a 54cm frameset should work, since i'm not concerned about toe overlap or handling. I might need a setback post, and longer stem, but I can't think of why it wouldn't work.

Anyone with a brain better than mine tell me why this isn't a good idea?

dfischer1

by dfischer1

Just match stack and reach and you should be good to go!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike001100

by mike001100

Well, I am in a similar situation... thinking about getting any random frame for a direct drive trainer... but then I think: if the position is off, won't I be training different muscle groups? I know that's sort of a marginal gains approach... but it was enough for me to get out my trusty rollers...

Rick

by Rick

mike001100 wrote:Well, I am in a similar situation... thinking about getting any random frame for a direct drive trainer... but then I think: if the position is off, won't I be training different muscle groups? I know that's sort of a marginal gains approach... but it was enough for me to get out my trusty rollers...

If all your touch-points are set up the same, your body can't possibly know what size the rest of the tubes on the frame are.
Start with careful measurement of seat height and setback relative to the bottom bracket. Then choose stem length and height to but handlebars at correct position relative to seat. Most people can probably ride at least one or two sizes smaller or larger frame than ideal by adjusting seatpost and stem.

AJS914

by AJS914

You'll probably have spacers or an upward sloping stem but for a trainer bike it shouldn't make much difference.

ms6073

by ms6073

AJS914 wrote:You'll probably have spacers or an upward sloping stem but for a trainer bike

Spacers - gasp! :lol:
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

AJS914

by AJS914

I know the horror.

You could even get a one size up frame as long as the reach isn't too great. Personally, on a trainer bike I'd rather have a more comfortable, more upright position.

gotgame

by gotgame

you can always fit a smaller frame to your needs. just put on a longer stem, bigger setback in seatpost-saddle
Colnago e1 gazzetta dello sport - sz52s / Pinarello gan RS ulterga di2 - sz52 / Caadx 2019 vulcano green sz54

Rudi

by Rudi

No reason that it can't. It is exactly what I have (smaller bike on trainer).

My only watch out is that you will need to check you can get high enough at the front. If you are looking second hand and the steerer tube has been cut short then that may limit you (it also might be fine). You don't mention your current set up, and it seems that everyone assumes everyone is slammed in these scenarios.

Mine has only room for 1 spacer so I needed a 17 degree stem to get it high enough.

So unless you are getting a bike with an uncut steerer or one that clearly has enough space, you'll want to check that you can get high enough. There are plenty of online calculators that can help you with this.
Cervelo R3 - 5.4kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=142420

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

I'm going to echo Rudi's concern that you get something with a cut steerer and then have to go hunting for a high rise stem to make up the height. Other than that, there's no reason why you couldn't make it work unless you're already using a 120-130mm stem on your 56.

If you're already running a long stem, you may not be able to find one long enough to get the fit to match your regular bike. If you're running a 100, worst case you may need to track down a 130 with a good bit of rise, or maybe one of the Specialized ones with the sleeve that changes the angle (I have a few of these, they're pretty awesome).
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

motorthings

by motorthings

thanks for all the feedback! you guys covered all my concerns.

...as i was ready to pull the trigger on a 54cm synapse on craigslist, I found a beautiful pristine 56cm cannondale six 13 saeco frameset for less $.

it is now sitting in my workstand awaiting the relatively inexpensive components from ebay.