Inexpensive derailleur hanger tool and Campagnolo Ultra Torque Cup press

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommasini

by tommasini

Hi
A few may remember an earlier post of mine asking for inexpensive alternatives to the Campagnolo BB press (UT-BB240). Found it myself and wanted to share my great dealings.

The BB press was one of several versions the seller offered. The one that caught my eye was a press for BB90/95. From the description I could tell that with perhaps a slight tweak in dimensions it could work perfect for Campagnolo Ultra Torque press fit cups. I provided those dimensions (36.5mm OD needed to be 36.8, and the depth of the step on the larger shoulder increased a few mm) and in just a few days I had my Ultra Torque press for only $23.50 USD plus shipping (would have been $18 if I just wanted the 2 "driver" discs).

When looking over other items that the seller had in his ebay "store", I found the derailleur hanger tool....The one pictured is offered at his website with a 10 lever arm, and on ebay in 10" and 13" .....the seller also notes in the listing that it's intended only as a tool to bend - does not include measuring parts (such as with the Park tool). When I asked, the seller was very happy to increase the length of the lever arm to 16" (14-15" would have worked too) so it could to work with all rim diameters (to measure at the rim). When it arrived it had a shorter 10mm bolt / no spacer - such that it hit my rather oversized chainstays as it was rotated in that one direction - so I added an old style axle spacer and a longer bolt I had laying around. The welding of the unit was spot on 90 degrees square for very accurate/repeatable measurements using a caliper along the length of the long arm. I'm ultra satisfied for only $13 plus cheap shipping!! (Yeah there are youtube videos' showing how to make your own with a square steel bar and a steel 10mm axle - but those guys and myself don't have a drill press needed to guarantee an accurate 90 degree hole for the attachment bolt).

The seller is Chris of http://www.MTBtools.com (you can find his parts there and at ebay too). You can contact him direct if either of these items are of interest to you. These 2 items are not listed on his website - but if interested tell him you'd like the item made the same as he did for "terry" from Omaha. I have no affiliation with Chris - just a very satisfied customer and I asked him if I could share this on weight weenies.....he said sure - and that he is always interested in special projects.
Attachments
IMG_2314-2.JPG
Last edited by tommasini on Mon Oct 30, 2017 3:31 am, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

I have never felt that guides are necessary for cups, and only use them when pressing in bearings.

Whether you use a flat-faced press or a press with guides it is going to push cups until the flanges seat against the outer edges of the BB shell. So I do not think that guides are critical for alignment. What is critical is, of course, a correctly manufactured BB shell where the outer edges are parallel to one another.

tommasini

by tommasini

FYI. The inner smaller diameter portion has no purpose (not a guide in this application) with pressing the campy cups - it’s a feature left over from the original design aimed at pressing bearings into a BB90/95. I saw no need to remove it from this design and who knows maybe someday I’ll have a need to press some BB90/95 Shimano bearings. With the Campy UT cups all the alignment and pressing action comes from the larger diameter section - the same as how the campy UT-BB240 does it. That outer tool section is 36.8 mm diameter while the cup ID is 37 mm so no alignment comes out of that clearance fit along the outer edge of the disk.