SRM ditching Shimano?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

avispa

by avispa

I just visited the SRM page and it seems that SRM has discontinued listing the Shimano Power Meters. This seems that it was a matter of time, since Shimano came out with their own stuff.

..A..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I mean everyone is framing it as SRM ditching Shimano, but that does t make sense. They have no reason to do that. Seems a lot more likely Shimano ended their partnership and decided not to supply them with the necessary components.

PinaF8

by PinaF8

Their new flagship Origin which will retain the newer 9100 chainrings will replace the current shimano line. The rechargeable version will be rolling out and are taking orders and according to SRM will be ready in the new 3-4 weeks.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

ms6073

by ms6073

TobinHatesYou wrote:Seems a lot more likely Shimano ended their partnership and decided not to supply them with the necessary components.

I got the impression from a conversation with a service tech from SRM USA when I had to get longer arms for the wife's SRM, the company machined the drive side arms in house and sourced the non-drive side from Shimano. Apparently supply issues have always been a consideration for the Shimano SRM's as the 170 mm arms supplied with her early production DA-9000 SRM were not actually 9000 series arms but were DA-7800/7900 series arms. Given the short supply/high cost of producing those arms, I would agree that it is more cost effective for SRM to proceed as you indicated, rather than continue with the custom one-off arms, not to mention it is nice to finally see the company update the electronics to reduce the footprint of the spider as well as finally offer an option recharge the batteries . Now if only they would offer self-service firmware update.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I spoke to SRM in Colorado Springs few days ago about the trade-in program as well as the 24mm versions. They are giving $500 credit toward Origin for trading in any version of SRM powermeter, plus $200 credit toward PC8 from trading in a PC7. The 24mm version will be available in 3-4 weeks, just like the rechargeable version.

I might end up getting the BOR chainrings version even I like how 9100 rings perform and look on my 9150 equipped bike. The reason is I know the Origin with BOR will still look somehow matching when I upgrade to next generation of DA (or Sram or Campy) which I do every 4-5 years. SRM makes durable (and expensive) products that my SRM 7900 was still working like a champ after 6 years of flawless performance. It's really an installed and forget product, unlike other brands my teammates are running.

BTW anyone have experience with the latest BOR 2X rings which SRM use?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ms6073 wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:Seems a lot more likely Shimano ended their partnership and decided not to supply them with the necessary components.

I got the impression from a conversation with a service tech from SRM USA when I had to get longer arms for the wife's SRM, the company machined the drive side arms in house and sourced the non-drive side from Shimano. Apparently supply issues have always been a consideration for the Shimano SRM's as the 170 mm arms supplied with her early production DA-9000 SRM were not actually 9000 series arms but were DA-7800/7900 series arms. Given the short supply/high cost of producing those arms, I would agree that it is more cost effective for SRM to proceed as you indicated, rather than continue with the custom one-off arms, not to mention it is nice to finally see the company update the electronics to reduce the footprint of the spider as well as finally offer an option recharge the batteries . Now if only they would offer self-service firmware update.

The latest series DA cranks SRM ever used were the 7800 cranks. These were used for the SRM DA powermeters since the 7800 series PM was produced by SRM in 2004. Initially SRM acquired 7800 cranks and did machine them themselves to mate with their powermeter spiders. They did this up until about 2013 when Shimano agreed to make and machine the cranks for SRM to use since so many of their sponsored teams were using them. These cranks were still 7800 cranks but were labelled as SR70 cranks by Shimano and had the striped anodized finish to match the 9000 DA series components that first hit the market in mid 2012.

With Shimano now making their own PM I would imagine that Shimano no longer wish to produce the cranks for SRM and have any chance that a team might prefer the SRM over Shimano’s PM. Hence SRM going back to using cranks of their own design and sourcing for Their Shimano style PM’s going forward.
Last edited by BdaGhisallo on Sun Oct 29, 2017 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

Seedster

by Seedster

A couple of my friends have picked up the new Origin Powermeter and are very happy with both weight and performance. I would venture that work required to make new shimano cranksets compatible probably wasnt worth the additional expense, especially since shimano has their own PM in production.

I have two SRM Campagnolo cranksets (non rechargeable) and they have been flawless thus far. It's costly, but I would rather pay the premium and not worry about frequent battery changes, door swaps, new seals and other warranty work.

Quattroporte

by Quattroporte

BdaGhisallo has it right. As of a call with SRM USA last week, Shimano and SRM are divorced due to competition from Shimano's power meter.

The first 4 24 mm Origin meters came in the week prior with more expected in 3-4 weeks. Nice and light. 686 gm with 9100 compact chainrings vs. 779 gm on my scales for the Shimano version it replaced. Their solution to the 24 mm axle is to provide an adapter for the 24 mm splines to the 30 mm sized splines in the NDS crank arm.

Installation is very straight forward on my Trek BB90 bike and none of the spacers supplied with the PM are needed for this installation. So far it has been smooth and quiet. The only challenge I faced was the magnet pickup and/or sensitivity is a little different and my inside-the-frame magnet wasn't quite strong enough.

And a different SRM note is that they are no longer offered through Trek's Project 1. The reason is said to be an inability to reach a new commercial agreement between Trek and SRM.

mds

by mds

A problem with my SRM DA 7900 compatible 2012, both right and left crank arms (DA-7800) cracked and were replaced. No crashes. I guess a Shimano manufacturing issue. Otherwise SRM/PC7 has been flawless.

I placed an order for SRM Origin DA 9100/PC8 today. Primary motivation is to replace standard gearing with mid compact, but also to take advantage of the current SRM upgrade offer.
2009 Look 595

avispa

by avispa

Quattroporte wrote:BdaGhisallo has it right. As of a call with SRM USA last week, Shimano and SRM are divorced due to competition from Shimano's power meter.

What I find difficult to understand is what compettion are they talking about! I mean, I looked all over for the elusive Shimano power meter and its nowhere to be found. In the words of my LBS: "they have been releasing it to dealers since May 2017" But nobody has it!

Oh the bike industry today! :roll:

..A..

szazbo

by szazbo

Am I missing something here? Why bother with the 24mm spindle version at all? The only reason that I can see is if you have a DA BB. They are cheap enough to just buy a 30 mm Chris King or other type of BB and eliminate more of the 30 to 24mm adaptors. Also it seems like with all the pieces that come together to make up the Origin crankset that there would be a lot of areas to potentially make creaking or other noises. Or am I just over thinking this? I like the idea of losing weight and reliability of the SRM but don't want to spend 2k to have listen to creaking

topflightpro

by topflightpro

BdaGhisallo wrote:With Shimano now making their own PM I would imagine that Shimano no longer wish to produce the cranks for SRM and have any chance that a team might prefer the SRM over Shimano’s PM. Hence SRM going back to using cranks of their own design and sourcing for Their Shimano style PM’s going forward.

This was my thought as well.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

szazbo wrote:Am I missing something here? Why bother with the 24mm spindle version at all? The only reason that I can see is if you have a DA BB. They are cheap enough to just buy a 30 mm Chris King or other type of BB and eliminate more of the 30 to 24mm adaptors. Also it seems like with all the pieces that come together to make up the Origin crankset that there would be a lot of areas to potentially make creaking or other noises. Or am I just over thinking this? I like the idea of losing weight and reliability of the SRM but don't want to spend 2k to have listen to creaking

I'm with you on this one. The Origin crankset seems to have a lot of bits and adapters embedded in its setup. That pedal spindle hole insert looks like something that could cause problems down the road.

I just ordered another DA9000 SRM and I think I got one of the last 165mm versions they had. My current 9000 PM, along with the 7900 PM I had and the 7800 PM I still have that is pushing 12 years old, are all rock solid. Why mess with something that works?

mds

by mds

Quattroporte wrote:Their solution to the 24 mm axle is to provide an adapter for the 24 mm splines to the 30 mm sized splines in the NDS crank arm.

I just spoke with SRM. They tell me that for the Origin DA 9100 24mm version to be shipped in a couple of weeks no NDS spline adaptor is required.
2009 Look 595

mds

by mds

mds wrote:
Quattroporte wrote:Their solution to the 24 mm axle is to provide an adapter for the 24 mm splines to the 30 mm sized splines in the NDS crank arm.

I just spoke with SRM. They tell me that for the Origin DA 9100 24mm version to be shipped in a couple of weeks no NDS spline adaptor is required.

Quattroporte is correct, my reply is wrong, I misunderstood SRM's comments. SRM Origin w/ 24mm spindle in the upcoming shipments requires a spline adaptor on the NDS.
2009 Look 595

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com