Crit bike budget finishing kit - Which one to get?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eLniZmortalo

by eLniZmortalo

Hi all!

After all this time watching the forum and drooling over all of the builds here, I have decided to take the step and register :D

To cut a long story short, I am the owner of a Red Bull (now Rose bikes) Pro SL 3000 which I have come to love.

After a year bashing it around the rough, pothole-riddled streets of Athens and getting hold of another frame to build up as a commuter, I have decided to
finally give it the love and attention it deserves component-wise and build it into a decent crit machine.

The end goal is anything below the 8kg mark with some reasonable money spent (the closer to 7.5 kgs, the better).

So let's get on to the weights.

Fork - full carbon (400g weighed) including starnut, crown, plug and an uncut steerer.
Frame - aluminium (1250g) incl. derailleur hanger. (size 53)
Groupset - Shimano 105 5800 (3kgs total).
Wheelset - Shimano rs81 c35 (1660g).
Tyres - conti gp4000 sII (450g total) with latex tubes
Saddle - Selle Italia Superflow with Ti rails (195g)

My main question is about the finishing kit (bars, seatpost, stem).

I was planning to go full deda SuperZero (with a carbon seatpost) because I like its functionality, cost and the way it looks ( :shock: ).

However I'm open to other suggestions regarding weight and value for money.
Ideally I would like to stay away from chinese stuff (it takes ages to get here and I like "European" bling) and I would like everything to be of the same brand (I'm not into mixing and matching tbh).

So based on your experience which finishing kit set would you suggest?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kkibbler

by kkibbler

Go 3T, FSA, or Syntace alloy everything. Hardy and cheap. You’ll spend (a lot) more for carbon and won’t save significant weight with what you’ve got.

kidrob

by kidrob

Rolling with Ritchey WCS C260 Stem (111g for 110mm) and Ritchey WCS Evocurve Bar (272g for 42cm) and am very happy with those for what they cost: viewtopic.php?p=1346760#p1346760

morganb

by morganb

Super happy with all of my Zipp stuff, from the cheapy service course all the way to the SL Speed/Sprint stuff. The Service Course SL stuff is reasonably light and aluminum without breaking the bank.

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

+1 for the Zipp aluminum parts.

I've also had awesome luck finding used FSA carbon parts dirt cheap. They're well made in my experience and reasonable weight wise. My FSA bars ~217g, seatpost ~220, stem ~125g. All carbon and uncut seatpost.

eLniZmortalo

by eLniZmortalo

Thanks loads guys! Your feedback is much appreciated!

I have been trowling the interwebs, gathering as much info as possible on different kits and also made a rough excel sheet with all the weights of the kit as stated by the manufacturers. (if interested I can post it here)

By the shape of things it seems I'm going with Ritchey wcs 260 stem (110mm), wcs logic II handlebars (42cm) and wcs alloy link seatpost (31.6 size). They seem to be a decent weight (576g all included supposedly) and a decent price too online.

My main concern now is how much Ritchey may "lie" regarding their claimed weights (I hope not much).

In your experience are these weights likely to be true or do I need to keep looking?

kidrob

by kidrob

^^sounds good! See my linked thread again: viewtopic.php?p=1346760#p1346760 I put both parts on my scale and its decent with 111g and 272g home measured weights.

When you mount the stem get sure you tighten the three bolts evenly or the middle might brake. Also follow this Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UYVd3csVzEo when mounting the bars to the stem, its a pain, but clever: http://road.cc/content/review/68959-rit ... egree-stem

Bigger Gear

by Bigger Gear

My preference for an alloy cockpit is always Thomson Elite seatpost, Thomson X2 stem and alloy bar of choice, usually a Ritchey WCS curve or 3T Ergonova. I am personally not a huge fan of the Ritchey seatposts or stems. Thomson products are always reliable and super accurate with their weights.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com