Stages & pioneer powermeter and rain?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

I want to use a powermeter on my winter/ rain bike and I am looking at the Stages and Pioneer power meters (single leg/ left crank).
Both seems ok to me (quality and price wise) but I am wondering about their quality in terms of water resistance as this bike will be my winter & rain bike.

What is your experience with the Stages (current generation/ Gen2) and the Pioneer in terms of water resistance?
Are they ok? or do you need to grease the seal and then it is ok?

PinaF8

by PinaF8

I have used my pioneer dual leg in heavy rain, washing and daily use. No trouble with water getting into the unit or through battery cover. I can't speak for stages as I have never used them.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Delorre

by Delorre

Stages Gen2 is absolutely fine, but some over here will tell they are only having problems with them. As with a lot of stuff... there are always guys having lots off trouble, even with dead reliable stuff.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

I've been using Stages for 3 years... no issues due to weather. I currently have 2 Gen two's and a Gen 1.

NS

by NS

Never had an issue with my stages G2 in the rain

jeroenfl

by jeroenfl

Stages gen2. Had an issue where I had to replace the battery every ride. I ride in lots of rain and mud.
An email to stages was transformed in 5 days to a new battery cover and seal. Two of them, so I have a spare now.
No issues anymore since then.

dmulligan

by dmulligan

I know you asked about gen2 but my gen1 works great with a silicone greased o-ring. I had water ingress issues with my first Stages PM and they of course took care of me. Even if they hadn't, leaving it open to dry out got it working again before the replacement arrived. The new gen1 battery covers are still delicate and the grease doubles as lube to keep the cover moving easily.
I'm not an apologist, Garmin and many others have thin battery covers that work better. I'm just saying that with a little Stages support the problem isn't as bad as some people make it. I was an early adopter as I pre-ordered the PM something like 6 months before they were available and I'm happy I did. In hindsight I got lucky as most products have problems releasing, especially power meters.
D

Sent from my A0001 using Tapatalk

nemeseri

by nemeseri

I have used two pioneer PMs for more than 2 years now. I was a quite early adopter with the first one and ordered the second one about 1.5 years ago. After heavy rain I had drop outs on the left side of the first PM. Pioneer simply serviced the left side and added a new seal under warranty. That new type of seal was already installed on my newer PM. I used them during the super wet 2016/2017 winter in SF with not a single drop out or issue.

In general I believe that it's one of the best and most robust systems out there and it has a great price. If you get the head unit, you can easily change modes and you can gather more detailed data. (The head unit is fine, but it doesn't have glonas which might be an issue in some cases.)

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Dmulligan i had 2 stages gen 1 that got replaced outside if warranty due to the battery door issue. I just asked for a spare battery door and they offered to replace the whole unit.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

roeman

by roeman

I had a stages Gen 1 was replaced under warranty due to water ingress.

The Gen 2 eats through a battery if I am not careful washing so presume water ingress again, but if careful i can live with this.

My Pioneer is 2.5 years old and never missed a beat, plus I can use a magnet for cadence so know 100% accuracey there.

Pioneer are not aviable in the UK at the moment but if I was to decide between the two at the moment I would go Pioneer hands down.
Giant XTC Team 2014
Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 2016
Cannondale Scalpel Si 2018 Team
Cervelo S5 Dura Ace - Enve 4.5's

PinaF8

by PinaF8

roeman wrote:I had a stages Gen 1 was replaced under warranty due to water ingress.

The Gen 2 eats through a battery if I am not careful washing so presume water ingress again, but if careful i can live with this.

My Pioneer is 2.5 years old and never missed a beat, plus I can use a magnet for cadence so know 100% accuracey there.

Pioneer are not aviable in the UK at the moment but if I was to decide between the two at the moment I would go Pioneer hands down.

I’m assuming you’re using a pioneer head unit bc you’re using magnets.
S-WORKS VENGE 1ST GEN
PINARELLO F8
PINARELLO F10
2018 BMC SLR01
2019 SCOTT SPARK RC 900

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

I have a ~3 year old Pioneer dual-sided power meter on one bike. It has been through quite a bit of rain, including some 5-hour days of constant, driving rain. No issues.