Wahoo KICKR trainer issues. Read if you use Campagnolo!!

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dgasmd

by dgasmd

So I decided to finally break down and get a "smart trainer". It came down to the Saris Hammer and the Wahoo KICKR. I was very inclined to get the Hammer given that they have been fantastic with customer service with me in the past with my PT wheel/hub and they had a lifetime warranty on the trainer. The Wahoo only has a 1 year, but of the 2, it was the only one with a Campy adapter.

I ended up ordering the Wahoo from Competitive Cyclist, which was gracious enough to give me a discount to win me over sine I had not ordered from them in years. Trainer came in, but they forgot the adaptor. A quick call/email and the adaptor was sent overnight UPS. When I went to install it, it was obvious it would not fit.Despite Youtube videos, it would not fit.After calling CC, they contacted Wahoo only to find out that when they came out with the new version of the KICKR, they did away with the adaptor's what I got does not work with it. Only with the old generation KICKR. That is pretty shitty in my book, but CC admitted they had no idea this was the case, and as a consequence will update their site to reflect the change.

Options now:

1. CC made it clear they will take care of the issue regardless of what it takes, so no worries there.

2. Get the Hammer, which they are out of right now for another week. Then, get a cassette like Miche that has Shimano spline but campy spacing.

3. Stick with the KICKR and use the above cassette, but the 11 sp free hub only takes 11 sp Shimano or sram. So, the cassette would have to come with a spacer. Same issue would apply to the Hammer. Either trainer would involve an extra purchase I wasn't planning on now!! :evil: :evil: :evil:

4. return it, get a refund, and say "Fock it" and continue to use the Lemond Trainer I have had for years but just started to sue.

In the end, beware that regardless of which trainer you get, if you have Campagnolo drivetrain you will have to get around to use a shitmano cassette of some sort.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

use a Shimano cassette safe in the knowledge that it both works and that no one - outside of you - will know you mixed grouppos and that, in fact, you will not go to hell for it.

Contrary to popular WW belief ;)

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Freehub is 11 sp shimano. Comes with a 11 sp SRAM cassette. The bike I want to use on it has 10sp Campagnolo drivetrain. CC tells me a 10 sp shimano/sram cassette will not work in the 11 sp Shimano/sram freehub without an adaptor or spacer.

If you know of a cheap and easy solution that will allow me to use my 10 sp campy bike on this free hub, please do let me know. I am all ears!!!!

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Cheap 10-spd Shimano cassette and a Shiftmate adapter.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Do you have a link to them? Any of them? I don't know anything about Shimano or adpaptors for it. Would make it easier if you can be very specific please.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

dgasmd wrote:Freehub is 11 sp shimano. Comes with a 11 sp SRAM cassette. The bike I want to use on it has 10sp Campagnolo drivetrain. CC tells me a 10 sp shimano/sram cassette will not work in the 11 sp Shimano/sram freehub without an adaptor or spacer.

If you know of a cheap and easy solution that will allow me to use my 10 sp campy bike on this free hub, please do let me know. I am all ears!!!!

It's a simple 1.8mm spacer and it comes with both the Hammer and KICKR. All you need is s 10spd Shimano/SRAM cassette, but I don't think 10spd Campy and 10spd Shimano/SRAM are 100% compatible. More like 98% compatible so there will be some additional noise from spacing issues. You won't ever be able to get indexing working perfectly across the full range of the cassette.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

Not sure this is for you as it requires redoing the cable at the rear derailleur, and checking that the indexing is OK.

This adapts a 10-speed Campy shifter to a 10-speed Shimano cassette. This is the factory page, you will have to look for a US seller.

http://www.jtekengineering.com/shiftmate/shiftmate-1/

One.

corky

by corky

To the OP....good information for future purchasers. I bought a Kickr a few weeks ago, I run Campagnolo 11speed and thought I would try the supplied cassette and if necessary buy the Wahoo freehub later.
Well I’ve decided that it all works acceptably and now I know the Campagnolo freehub won’t fit it’s just as well.

I think Wahoo needs to make this change more obvious.

Good luck with getting 10 speed Campag to to work.

jekyll man

by jekyll man

At least it means you know your kickr is new stock.

This actually popped up on the TTF last weekend; someone else discovered the freehubs are different.
Official cafe stop tester

AJS914

by AJS914

Wheels makes a cassette:

http://www.treefortbikes.com/product/33 ... or-10.html

Maybe you can use the cassette you have now with different spacers?

dgasmd

by dgasmd

Thanks for the replies. So after some reading, I’m a bit confused given some conflicting info:

1. One place says use the 1.85 mm spacer to go from 11 to sp shimano/sram cassette. Other places say use both, the 1.0 and 1.85 mm spacers. Which is it for sure???

2. I take it the spacer/s go first and then you slide the cassette? If not, in what order does it go??

3. Some places say the 10 sp sram cassette will shift better than the 10 sp shimano with the campy 10 sp drivetrain and chain. Others say it is the same. Which has been your experience???

This is certainly sucking a lot of the joy for me. After $1300 I’m left to “duct tape it to make it work”. Worst part is apparently none of the direct drive electromagnetic and programmable trainers have a campy adapter anymore. Pretty chitty in my book!!!

glepore

by glepore

I ran a 10 spd shimano cassette on an campy trainer bike for 2 years without any issues. Yes, its not 100% compatible. On a trainer it wasn't an issue in the real world. On an 11 spd freehub, the order is 1.8mm spacer, 1 mm spacer, and then cassette. With Sram, just the 1.8 is required, although on some hubs I've used a .5mm thin spacer to make alignment "adjustment free" between wheels. There is an excellent chart as to whats required here http://www.slowtwitch.com/Tech/Cassette ... _3257.html.

Its not nearly as big of a deal as you're making it out to be, but I do get your disappointment.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

dgasmd wrote:1. One place says use the 1.85 mm spacer to go from 11 to sp shimano/sram cassette. Other places say use both, the 1.0 and 1.85 mm spacers. Which is it for sure???

Depends on which cassette you have.

10-speed Shimano Dura-Ace, Ultegra and 105 cassettes are narrower than 9-speed cassettes and include a 1 mm spacer in order to fit properly on the same body. Lower level 10-speed Shimano cassettes and all 10-speed Sram cassettes have a wider spider for the largest cog cluster and so do not require any additional spacers to fit on 9-speed freehub bodys.

11-speed cassettes are all wider, which is why you need a 1.85 mm spacer in order to fit a 10- or 9-speed cassette onto an 11-speed freehub body. If the 10-speed cassette happens to be Dura-Ace, Ultegra or 105 you will thus need both 1.85 and 1 mm spacers.

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

@ajs proposed a conversion cassette which may be the simplest solution for you. It's a Campy-spaced cassette with Shimano splining.

IRD is another reputable manufacturer https://www.universalcycles.com/shopping/product_details.php?id=54138&category=2763

This just goes on (spacers first) in place of the current cassette. You'll still need to adjust indexing as with any solution.

Or just use a Shimano/SRAM cassette and live with the less than perfect spacing, which only becomes apparent at the ends of the cassette.

One.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dgasmd

by dgasmd

glepore wrote:On an 11 spd freehub, the order is 1.8mm spacer, 1 mm spacer, and then cassette. With Sram, just the 1.8 is required

Its not nearly as big of a deal as you're making it out to be, but I do get your disappointment.

Thanks for the info above. Extremely useful. I will source an sram cassette today locally and try that. I was told the sram cassettes will run smoother than shimano when used with a campy drivetrain. Is this still true????

And I’m sure you are right about it not being a “big deal”. I just expect stuff to work flawlessly right out of the box as advertised, especially at this price point!!