Moving from Super Record mechanical to EPS V3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Willem

by Willem

I have the new Super Record Mechanical, would like opinions from anyone who used an upgrade kit to EPS V3.

Was it worth the the expense, would you do it again?

Would like opinions from folks who have actually upgraded, my closest Campy expert swears by the new mechanical group set, says it shifts better than EPS.

This will be on a C60.

spookyload

by spookyload

I had Record mechanical and was forced to upgrade this summer due to a crash that left my fingers in the left hand numb with nerve damage. I love it. Super easy to set up, and for me, it wasn't an option. I can program the right shifter to do all of the shifting, which post crash, got me riding sooner. Sadly, it makes me want to upgrade the MTB to electronic shifting as well. I also will add that I race 24 hour road races, and 22 hours in, fatigue can make front shifts challenging on hilly courses. It is a life saver for that too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

spookyload wrote:(...) I also will add that I race 24 hour road races, and 22 hours in, fatigue can make front shifts challenging on hilly courses. It is a life saver for that too.

For the endurance riders a very valid point indeed: That reminds me 25 years ago about the riders in our club who did endurance like the 1200km "Paris-Brest-Paris" and said something similar for the Shimano STi compared to the "classic" shifter on the down tube. They all switched to the STi because after so many hours and with the classical shifters they did not shift and with the STi shifters the riding was much smoother, and safer. The same "upgrade" now with electronic vs. mechanical indeed. :wink:

TonyM

by TonyM

Willem wrote:I have the new Super Record Mechanical, would like opinions from anyone who used an upgrade kit to EPS V3.

Would like opinions from folks who have actually upgraded, my closest Campy expert swears by the new mechanical group set, says it shifts better than EPS.

This will be on a C60.

I am also interested to see the feedback as I will soon get two new bikes with Dura Ace Di2 and I fear that I may want to upgrade my 2015 SR Campa mech. to EPS. However my C60 matches better a campy mech. in terms of the "spirit" of the Colnago C60 etc.....

Which model year is your C60 and the mach. Campy gruppo?

Willem

by Willem

TonyM wrote:
Willem wrote:I have the new Super Record Mechanical, would like opinions from anyone who used an upgrade kit to EPS V3.

This will be on a C60.

I am also interested to see the feedback as I will soon get two new bikes with Dura Ace Di2 and I fear that I may want to upgrade my 2015 SR Campa mech. to EPS. However my C60 matches better a campy mech. in terms of the "spirit" of the Colnago C60 etc.....

Which model year is your C60 and the mach. Campy gruppo?

audiojan

by audiojan

I have both Record mechanical and Record EPS (Super Record on my wife's bikes). I would easily pick EPS on all my bikes and forego the mechanical altogether. The EPS just shifts perfect each and every time.
"Suddenly the thought struck me; my floor is someone elses ceiling" - Nils Ferlin

MyM3Coupe

by MyM3Coupe

audiojan wrote:The EPS just shifts perfect each and every time.

As does the mechanical if set up properly.

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

MyM3Coupe wrote:
audiojan wrote:The EPS just shifts perfect each and every time.

As does the mechanical if set up properly.

Yep, that was I was thinking. EPS is nice to have, but mechanical (s)Record shifts perfect (and chorus too).

TonyM

by TonyM

I just biked today the first time ever with Di2....wow so nice compared to mech.!

Definitely not something we really need but a « nice to have ». You change the gear much more often.

I may change my Campy mech. to EPS....

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I have been lusting after EPS since the V1 came out. Just haven't had the need to buy a new set, so have been waiting until I built a new bike. In the process now, and I had originally planned on EPS SR for it. After thinking a bit about it, I decided to go back to mechanical SR. Lighter, cheaper, shifts perfect, and easier to service by anyone that knows a bit about bikes (me included) without especial training. That last point is a huge plus for me as not only do I not have any experience or know-how with electronic shifters but I don't even have a shop anywhere near that "Speaks Campy fluently" to take the bike for issues when/if they ever arise.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

I have been on EPS for five years and upgrades my V1 system to V3. I also have a newer Chorus system ... and an EPS TT bike too.
EPS works fantastically, and the V3’s ability to show gears on a Garmin 520 makes it great to ride on. And, EPS levers are the most comfortable I’ve ever used.
To answer your question, absolutely go EPS on a TT bike. On a road bike, Campy’s current mechanical group works great (as long as the rear hanger is alligned); but I don’t agree that it’s better than EPS. Given that you already have the latest mechanical, I’m not sure it’s worth the expense to go to EPS V3. If you had a pre15 group, I might’ve given a different answer.
Of course, if you can easily afford it, it won’t be the worst thing you ever did.

avispa

by avispa

Willem wrote:my closest Campy expert swears by the new mechanical group set, says it shifts better than EPS.
Really!!!! I hope he has tried EPS V3.

I switched to EPS since version 1 and have never looked back! I must say, there is a big difference from the shifting feel from V1 and V2 to V3. My advice to you, learn to use MyCampy app well and you will be able to play with EPS V3 like no group in the market will ever let you play! Once I wondered why Campy didn't make the satellite button shifters, but after learning to play with the app, I have discovered you do not need the stuff with Campy.

My other advice to anyone, if you plan to buy a Campy electronic group after Feb. 2018, I'd say, you better wait. I think Campy is going to do some very cool upgrades in 2018 to EPS.

Shoot any questions via PM if you need any help.

..A..
Last edited by avispa on Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:40 am, edited 1 time in total.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

I’m intrigued.......

TonyM

by TonyM

same same.......(don't like to wait however)...

What kind of upgrade could they do??????

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

avispa wrote:
My other advice to anyone, if you plan to buy a Campy electronic group after Feb. 2018, I'd say, you better wait. I think Campy is going to do some very cool upgrades in 2018 to EPS.

..A..

You think or you know?
Only upgrade they can do is wireless for the same price as EPS V3. At the moment they are way to expensive compared to the 91xx groupset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com