Moving from Super Record mechanical to EPS V3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I had SR and switched to SR EPS several years ago. Even though they may have both shifted perfectly, over time the EPS system always shifted the same and the mechanical version would have to be 'tuned up' to make it good again. Excessive friction in the cables was always an issue and there is just none with the EPS.

When you are tired on a long run running with the 'A' group, shifting is much easier when you just want to get off the bike. Hands down, the EPS is a cut above any mechanical system Campagnolo makes.

Miller

by Miller

TonyM wrote:What kind of upgrade could they do??????

There could be developments to match competitor products, eg:
- wireless in some form
- satellite shifters

They could revisit the design of the mechs. I think that is a rather old design now although no argument it works beautifully. Nevertheless the front mech looks a little bulky and the rear mech has that sticky-out rod. I wonder if both could be made more compact.

Maintainability enhancements: how about a revised plug system so that people who find it difficult to line up two arrows can avoid crushing pins... although I do think that the current system works well with regard to weather sealing. Unify the plug system so there aren't separate Chorus and Record/SR versions. Perhaps that is happening by default as Athena EPS is gone and I notice EPS hydro doesn't include Chorus.

What about making connection wires have plugs into battery and interface unit rather than being sealed into those things? Currently if a battery goes south, which happens, you have to yank the entire wiring loom which is a royal pain.

What about, blue sky thinking, a solar panel to stick on the frame that could trickle charge the battery?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Johnnysmooth

by Johnnysmooth

dgasmd wrote:I have been lusting after EPS since the V1 came out. Just haven't had the need to buy a new set, so have been waiting until I built a new bike. In the process now, and I had originally planned on EPS SR for it. After thinking a bit about it, I decided to go back to mechanical SR. Lighter, cheaper, shifts perfect, and easier to service by anyone that knows a bit about bikes (me included) without especial training. That last point is a huge plus for me as not only do I not have any experience or know-how with electronic shifters but I don't even have a shop anywhere near that "Speaks Campy fluently" to take the bike for issues when/if they ever arise.

Exactly the same reasoning here. I like to be able to do most of my own work and EPS is just not that user service friendly. Besides, when properly set-up, mech is fabulous and I love been able to drop three gears with one sweep.
It only hurts if you think.

TonyM

by TonyM

If they go wireless that would be indeed a EXCELLENT upgrade !! :thumbup: :thumbup:

But how big are the chances??

-> And more important when is Campagnolo announcing a possible new upgrade? Just before Milan-San Remo in 2018? so mom March 2018?

What do you think?

avispa

by avispa

TonyM wrote:same same.......(don't like to wait however)...
What kind of upgrade could they do??????

C'mon! Look at the technology from Shimano! For one, they surely can improve on that bulky V3 interface.

I know there is internal Campy talk about BLE shifters ala SRAM and possibly a wireless charging battery. The V4 iteration could be a hybrid wired/wireless system.

avispa

by avispa

Daniel1975 wrote:
avispa wrote:My other advice to anyone, if you plan to buy a Campy electronic group after Feb. 2018, I'd say, you better wait. I think Campy is going to do some very cool upgrades in 2018 to EPS.

You think or you know?
Only upgrade they can do is wireless for the same price as EPS V3. At the moment they are way to expensive compared to the 91xx groupset.

I am not going to say if I know it or think it... just play with your imagination! LOL

As for the price vs Shimano, where are you looking brother? The 91XX electronic price is not too far off EPS V3, and given that you can mix and match certain things with Campy, this is a non-issue, really.

By the way, Campy and Shimano are not going to release a fully wireless system any time soon! They have way too much at stake not only in the pro peloton, but in terms of performance and warranties.
Last edited by avispa on Tue Oct 31, 2017 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

avispa

by avispa

Miller wrote:
TonyM wrote:What kind of upgrade could they do??????

There could be developments to match competitor products, eg:
- wireless in some form
- satellite shifters

They could revisit the design of the mechs. I think that is a rather old design now although no argument it works beautifully. Nevertheless the front mech looks a little bulky and the rear mech has that sticky-out rod. I wonder if both could be made more compact.

Maintainability enhancements: how about a revised plug system so that people who find it difficult to line up two arrows can avoid crushing pins... although I do think that the current system works well with regard to weather sealing. Unify the plug system so there aren't separate Chorus and Record/SR versions. Perhaps that is happening by default as Athena EPS is gone and I notice EPS hydro doesn't include Chorus.

What about making connection wires have plugs into battery and interface unit rather than being sealed into those things? Currently if a battery goes south, which happens, you have to yank the entire wiring loom which is a royal pain.

What about, blue sky thinking, a solar panel to stick on the frame that could trickle charge the battery?[/quote]

Most of these observations are great, but the last one. Do you want to pay $5000 for a groupset? Closer to solar, one could think of wireless charging first, which is available for smartphones, etc. But I was told Campy didn't abandon the pin system for their recharging because their battery power requirements is more than the rest in the market, They need to have a 12v power source connected to it. Maybe they can talk to Apple and license the lightning connector? That would be cool... But in reality very far fetched!

TonyM

by TonyM

avispa wrote:(...)The 91XX electronic is not too far off EPS V3, given that you can mix and match certain things with Campy, especially.
(...)

Definitely also an option :thumbup:

Not for the "purists" among us however :P

vamoots58

by vamoots58

I have three bikes, all SR. My Moots Routt 45 is 2015 SR Mechanical, very dependable. Shifts are typical Campy. My C59 is SR EPS v2 - did the install myself, super straightforward. Did the seat tube / water bottle boss internal mount. Been very happy with the performance. Very much prefer EPS to mechanical. My Look is SR EPS v3 - the moving of the charging port to the control unit was a great shift!! No more fiddling around with finding another hole for the separate port. Also the slimmer battery is much easier to install. LOVE EPS - the idea of eTap is intriguing, BUT not enough to make a switch on any of my rides.

avispa

by avispa

TonyM wrote:
avispa wrote:(...)The 91XX electronic is not too far off EPS V3, given that you can mix and match certain things with Campy, especially.
(...)

I edited my post for clarification. I didn’t mean to mix and match Campy and Shimano! You’d be excommunicated by the Pope for doing that!

I meant to mix Campy SR and Record, etc. I am not sure u can use Shimano DA w Ultegra Power Units, etc

TonyM

by TonyM

avispa wrote:
TonyM wrote:
(...)

I edited my post for clarification. I didn’t mean to mix and match Campy and Shimano! You’d be excommunicated by the Pope for doing that!

I meant to mix Campy SR and Record, etc. I am not sure u can use Shimano DA w Ultegra Power Units, etc

Ok now understood!

Well I suppose you could use Campy for the cassette, chain, crankset and brakes and then DA for the shifters, FD and RD but that would indeed be almost a sacrilege [emoji51]

avispa

by avispa

TonyM wrote:Well I suppose you could use Campy for the cassette, chain, crankset and brakes and then DA for the shifters, FD and RD but that would indeed be almost a sacrilege

Don't worry, holly water on the way to you! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

TonyM

by TonyM

Does the interface of the Campy EPS V3 communicate with the Garmin so that you can see the gear combo that you are using (i.e. 34-19 or 53-15) and the battery level?

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

TonyM wrote:Does the interface of the Campy EPS V3 communicate with the Garmin so that you can see the gear combo that you are using (i.e. 34-19 or 53-15) and the battery level?

Yes, that's my favorite feature.
Not all Garmins are compatible I think. I am on a 520.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TonyM

by TonyM

Just checked the total pricing for the upgrade EPS Super Record V3 (2 shifters, front derailleur, rear derailleur, battery, interface, charger) and with approx. $2700 it is really expensive :evil:
I suppose I may keep my C60 and its (perfect functioning) Super Record mechanical as my "classic" bike 8)