Tommasini Mach Complete Bike Weight

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

axiom

by axiom

tommasini wrote:I can't speak to the weight of a Ti Tommasini.....but 1500 grams for a (solid) rim brake Ti frameset sounds in the ball park. Tommasini doesn't shoot for lightest - rather a good combination of attributes......such as what Colnago is also known for.

For help on your complete bike weight - you'll need to let everyone know if you are looking to stick with rim brakes or go with disc (the later will add about another pound to frame/component total weight) and what component group you might consider - e.g. going with chorus/ultregra over the next higher level group will add weight, going with ultrega disc versus dura ace disc is even more of a penalty.....etc.

Further on your issue with happiness with the Record shifting.........perhaps try another shop in the area.....someone who can help dial it in.

(attached carbon Tommasini is 14.2 lbs with pedals........and loves being driven hard in the Colorado mountains when I get out that way)

Sorry I would like to say Barbara.

Miller

by Miller

hb2 wrote:Thanks for the feedback. We've tried everything with the shifting, including lots of convos with Campy, and it never gets where it needs to be.

Calnago's thread on his C60 build had a lot of very detailed info on setting up Campag shifting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hb2

by hb2

I don't have the bike with me - shocker - it's in the shop :) but I'll check with the guys who have it. Main issue is shifting up or down on the cassette and having a frequent delay of 1-3 seconds. Sometimes I'll shift it 2 or 3 times to get it to move once. It has been an intermittent issue and usually leaves the shop shifting fine, but soon thereafter it'll have issues. At this point, even if the shifting suddenly becomes perfect, I'm learning toward moving to a different bike so I can run 28c tubeless tires, disc brakes and an electronic groupset. And for longer distance stuff (double-centuries and longer), titanium seems to be the right frame material.

bm0p700f wrote:As I have never had a campagnolo groups etc that has never shifted worse than perfect so long as it is set up right I struggle to see why yours is different. Is the c60 dropout/hanger/chainset at length on the limit or outside campagnolo specifications for the rear derailleur. If you can only fit 23mm tyres then maybe the stays are too short leading to more extreme chainline and front mech cage rubbing. It really depends on what you class as an issue.

hb2

by hb2

Do you have a recommendation in mind for all around type wheels and a comfortable cockpit? Thx!

jemima wrote:
hb2 wrote:Just for grins, I've entered ballpark weights for everything except pedals ... am i missing anything?

groupset Dura Ace 9170 di2 Disc 2389
wheelset Zipp 303 NSW 1530
frame Tommasini Mach Disc 1600
fork Tommasini (not sure) 500
handlebars just an example weight 250
stem just an example weight 150
tape just an example weight 50
seatpost just an example weight 225
seat just an example weight 300
tires Zipp tubeless 604
grams 7598
pounds 16.75072267

Quick read through your list, there's any easy 600gm drop: wheels, bars, stem, post, saddle > 7kg

tommasini

by tommasini

axiom wrote:
tommasini wrote:I can't speak to the weight of a Ti Tommasini.....but 1500 grams for a (solid) rim brake Ti frameset sounds in the ball park. Tommasini doesn't shoot for lightest - rather a good combination of attributes......such as what Colnago is also known for.

For help on your complete bike weight - you'll need to let everyone know if you are looking to stick with rim brakes or go with disc (the later will add about another pound to frame/component total weight) and what component group you might consider - e.g. going with chorus/ultregra over the next higher level group will add weight, going with ultrega disc versus dura ace disc is even more of a penalty.....etc.

Further on your issue with happiness with the Record shifting.........perhaps try another shop in the area.....someone who can help dial it in.

(attached carbon Tommasini is 14.2 lbs with pedals........and loves being driven hard in the Colorado mountains when I get out that way)

Ask to Barbara from Tommasini Grosseto Italia http://www.tommasini.it

Barbara is a gem!! Not with very many companies can you still deal with family who not only continues to manage the company but they also continue to build their excellent core products in-house...... :beerchug:

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

a new bike is fine for the reasons you give except the shifting issue. there is no way the groupset should shift that way. There has to be an issue that has been overlooked. there are a number of things to check from the basics to the the rear mech retrun spring strength.

jemima

by jemima

hb2 wrote:Do you have a recommendation in mind for all around type wheels and a comfortable cockpit? Thx!

jemima wrote:
hb2 wrote:Just for grins, I've entered ballpark weights for everything except pedals ... am i missing anything?

groupset Dura Ace 9170 di2 Disc 2389
wheelset Zipp 303 NSW 1530
frame Tommasini Mach Disc 1600
fork Tommasini (not sure) 500
handlebars just an example weight 250
stem just an example weight 150
tape just an example weight 50
seatpost just an example weight 225
seat just an example weight 300
tires Zipp tubeless 604
grams 7598
pounds 16.75072267

Quick read through your list, there's any easy 600gm drop: wheels, bars, stem, post, saddle > 7kg

A bit hesitant to list a few components, especially the cockpit, as 'comfort' is down to the individual.
e.g. MCFK bars with their swept back tops and slight flare/short reach/drop would be ideal for me as a comfort option, and drop quite a bit of weight there.

A cheap Kalloy Uno 7 stem (you can remove the graphics) would drop around 40gm or so.

As for allround wheels, I'd be looking at the offerings from R2-bike.
At my weight (60kg) I'd be looking for a 1300gm max-weight set.
Curve Grovel ti.