Anybody here build up a pre-2017 Protos? FD cable is driving me

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

INSANE!!!!

how on earth are you supposed to thread the FD cable from the bottom bracket through that god damn needle-hole on the seat tube?

there's no way to get a cable sleeve through that hole.

forget about the thread trick. i used a length of dental floss. but there is no way its pulling the cable through that hole. none.

i tried threading a length of cable from the FD side of the hole, towards the bottom bracket opening. then using a cable sheath to connect the 2 cables and guide the FD cable through the hole.
tried it about 2 dozen times. there's no way.

i really want to find the person who thought internal cable routing was a good idea. and slap him in the face with a dirty diaper.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

well, i finally got it on the on the 29th try with the sheath method.

i tapered down the end of the sheath that was going to the seat tube hole. i think it helped wedge it slightly into that little hole.

i'm still going to find the guy, and slap him with a diaper though.

EDIT: yeah, that just happened... acccidentally pulled out the FD cable while eff'ing with the RD cable...
i'm about to jump out a window

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Catagory6

by Catagory6

this is going from bad to worse

all this time i thought i had the cable threaded through the carrier in the shifter. come to find out, i didn't. had to pull everything apart, and now for some reason i cant get the cable into the carrier. i've tried going at it both ways. i use the shifter behind the brake lever to shift up, and try to get the cable through going in the opposite direction.

i cant get the cable through the carrier now.

WTF??!!

Catagory6

by Catagory6

what ever that was, i was able to remove the obstruction with a really small hex wrench.

i wonder if this was related to my other thread about having FD shifting problems. because all this time the cable was routed incorrectly. damn, that would be embarrassing.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

my god, that was the bike-build from hell

evan326

by evan326

Pictures are helpful.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i am at my God Damn wits end
i cant even thread the FD cable into the Chorus shifter.
i would take it to my local shop, but i think the FD shifter might be broken, and they don't do campy.
i want to punch someone so eff'ing bad.

i thought i had the whole thing set up, and then i went to try shifing the FD, and it was EXACTLY the same as before.
Extremely hard to shift into the large chain ring, and the up-shifting kept getting worse and worse. until it wouldn't shift at all.
it would barely move the FD after 4 clicks. and the first click on the shifter doesn't do anything at all.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

evan326 wrote:Pictures are helpful.

sorry to sound like a prick, but there isn't anything to take a picture of.
a small little hole that nothing is going through?

or maybe you mean a picture of some a-hole getting slapped with a dirty diaper

i feel like tossing the entire bike off a cliff

Catagory6

by Catagory6

the absolute WORST bike-build experience EVER in my 30+ years of working on my bicycles.
my very last derailleur cable just completely frayed when i finally got it through the carrier mechanism.
my neighbor is going to be completely clueless why i'm beating the living crap out of him

jlok

by jlok

bro I really want to understand your pain and it would be great to have a look... I simply couldn't imagine how difficult it could be...
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

silvalis

by silvalis

I'm a bit curious to find out if you tried cleaning out your left shifter
Chasse patate

evan326

by evan326

Good luck with that then.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

silvalis wrote:I'm a bit curious to find out if you tried cleaning out your left shifter

i don't think its the shifter now. i threaded the FD cable through the shifter, and the first section of cable housing that goes from the handle bar to the DT
i gripped the end of the cable with a pliers and pulled as hard as i could while actuating the shift levers.
it seemed to work well.

the 2 cables were not crossed inside the DT

i'm wondering if somehow the FD isn't compatible with the brake/shift lever.
i purchased everything piecemeal. but it was all purchased used early 2014.

i've had to use Shimano derailleur cable housing, because that's the only kind that the local shop carries. i'm wondering now if Shimano cable housing isn't compatible with campy. but its such a short section.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

evan326 wrote:Good luck with that then.

well, what would you like a picture of?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

I hope you're not using a Shimano type cable. The head is larger than Campy and gets jammed in the shifter.

I gather you have a used pre-2015 Chorus group? How used?

How familiar are you with Campy? Do you know what a good shifter should feel like - unattached?

I can't help with the frame issue, but with the cable free both ends, can you pull it back and forth easily?
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM