Chorus 11-speed front der. shifting issue

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Catagory6

by Catagory6

it is so damn stiff and HARD to shift into the outer chain ring.
the spring on the derailleur seems quite stiff.
i've followed video tutorials for proper installation and adjustment
i got the components used in 2014 if it matters
i also cant get the FD to shift into the outer chainring. no matter how its adjusted
Last edited by Catagory6 on Mon Oct 23, 2017 9:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bondurant

by Bondurant

Without the cable attached, can you quite easily move the mech?

If so, likely a problem with cable routing. I've never heard of a too-tight mech spring but there's a first time for everything I suppose.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Catagory6

by Catagory6

Bondurant wrote:Without the cable attached, can you quite easily move the mech?

If so, likely a problem with cable routing. I've never heard of a too-tight mech spring but there's a first time for everything I suppose.

yes, its not the shifter.
it is internal cable routing, so maybe there's something going on there?

now i cant even get the FD to shift into the outer ring at all

Bondurant

by Bondurant

One other thing to try in order to eliminate the shifter (maybe you've already tried) is to insert the cable into the shifter, with the thumb lever pressed until it no longer clicks. Don't thread it past where the cable comes out at the top of the shifter, just seat it. When you move the larger lever, does the cable pull?

I only suggest this as you can insert the cable wrongly into the shifter quite easily, it can go two ways and only one is correct, seating where it's meant to.

Doing this wrongly normally produces a very light shift rather than a heavy one. But if you can rule out the shifter and mech at least you will know that the cable routing is where the problem is.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Are you sure the front and rear cables aren't crossed inside? Happened to me hampering the front action, but the back didn't seem to be much affected. You can eliminate this by looking inside with a flashlight if you have a large enough hole under the downtube. Or, if you have it, easiest is with the continuity check from a multimeter. Or improvise one with some wire, a bulb and a battery.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

i'm noticing now in the instructional videos that the "arm" on the FD where the cable clamps onto is much longer than on my FD

AJS914

by AJS914

That may be normal if you have a pre-2014 derailleur and the videos are 2015 or later. The front derailleur changed in 2015. The 2015+ derailleur has the longer arm.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com