best gps unit for power2max

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dedobike

by dedobike

I bought a power2max power meter bt / ant + qualce gps unit I recommend you to match it? Polar m460, Garmin Edge 520, Stage Dash?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ergott

by ergott

Depends on the features you want. I have Garmin 1030. Lots of people like the 520.

Check out DC Rainmaker for reviews.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

jever98

by jever98

Personally am using a Wahho Elemnt - but as ergott says - depends on what you want.
----
No longer in the industry

dedobike

by dedobike

jever98 wrote:Personally am using a Wahho Elemnt - but as ergott says - depends on what you want.

I'm mainly interested in the power data analysis and the automatic dynamic calculus of the ftp that the garmin 520 is present but I do not think it is present on the Elemnt Bolt.

jever98

by jever98

dedobike wrote:
jever98 wrote:Personally am using a Wahho Elemnt - but as ergott says - depends on what you want.

I'm mainly interested in the power data analysis and the automatic dynamic calculus of the ftp that the garmin 520 is present but I do not think it is present on the Elemnt Bolt.

That's right - the Garmin seems to have more in that area (I couldn't tell, don't use that).

The reason I switched from Garmin was readability and ease of use on the Wahoo, but it sounds like you might be best served with a Garmin. I can also recommend looking at the DCR reviews - they usually answer the detail questions very well.
----

c60rider

by c60rider

I Used a Garmin 510 previously and found that excellent but bought the 520 to use with my Campagnolo NG power2max. the screen is far better reflecting a lot less and now I'm used to the buttons on the 520 rather than the touch screen on the 510 it's simple to use. There are no features from a power perspective that the 520 has over the 510 that I use and I like lots of data so I would recommend that.

naylor343

by naylor343

If it is more of a training than navigational tool you are after, the the stages dash appears to be very interesting. My only knowledge of it is what DCR has written on his website. I am in need of a replacement for my tired old edge 500. If further reviews are positive it could be the way I will be going in future. Hopefully we will soon start to see more user feedback soon. Any one out there using this?

GothicCastle

by GothicCastle

dedobike wrote:I'm mainly interested in the power data analysis and the automatic dynamic calculus of the ftp that the garmin 520 is present but I do not think it is present on the Elemnt Bolt.

You don’t need a Garmin to estimate ftp. Just look at your rides and estimate base on best 20 (x .95) or 8 (x .90) minute efforts. The Garmin isn’t doing anything more complicated. A free Strava or WattsBoard account can do this for you. Get a Garmin if you want one, but ftp estimation isn’t a good reason.

I think the Garmin software is quite bad and doesn’t seem to get any better. Wahoo software seems a bit better.

dedobike

by dedobike

GothicCastle wrote:
dedobike wrote:I'm mainly interested in the power data analysis and the automatic dynamic calculus of the ftp that the garmin 520 is present but I do not think it is present on the Elemnt Bolt.

You don’t need a Garmin to estimate ftp. Just look at your rides and estimate base on best 20 (x .95) or 8 (x .90) minute efforts. The Garmin isn’t doing anything more complicated. A free Strava or WattsBoard account can do this for you. Get a Garmin if you want one, but ftp estimation isn’t a good reason.

I think the Garmin software is quite bad and doesn’t seem to get any better. Wahoo software seems a bit better.

The method of 8 min x 0.9 for the calculation of the ftp i did not know it is accurate and reliable as the 20 minute test? Wattsboard looks like good service at an acceptable cost. Another gps drive that attracts my attention is the bryton 330, gollin coast and wahoo bolt menl and has all the functions you know it?

c60rider

by c60rider

dedobike wrote:
GothicCastle wrote:

The method of 8 min x 0.9 for the calculation of the ftp i did not know it is accurate and reliable as the 20 minute test? Wattsboard looks like good service at an acceptable cost. Another gps drive that attracts my attention is the bryton 330, gollin coast and wahoo bolt menl and has all the functions you know it?

The 8 minute test is from Chris Carmichael found here
http://trainright.com/cts-field-test-why-eight-minutes-not-20/

ergott

by ergott

Problem with all these sub 60min tests is they don't predict longer effort levels well. I've seen lots of fast riders train for ftp and absolutely die on longer rides. Great if you race cross, but 4-5 hour rides not so much.

FastforaSlowGuy

by FastforaSlowGuy

ergott wrote:Problem with all these sub 60min tests is they don't predict longer effort levels well. I've seen lots of fast riders train for ftp and absolutely die on longer rides. Great if you race cross, but 4-5 hour rides not so much.

^ This is partly right. FTP doesn’t predict 5 hour pace, it predicts 1 hour pace. That’s the very definition of it. Now, your pace and power will likely go up over 5 hours as your FTP rises, but that assumes you have the endurance to ride 5 hours. Different energy systems.

The other problem in my view is that these tests make some assumptions about a rider’s power profile (the “shape” of the curve if you tested actual max at various durations). Sometimes those assumptions don’t bear out. Lots of riders will use these tests to set their power zones, but those need to be reality checked. If your test results say you’re riding tempo but you can’t breathe after 5 minutes, you probably aren’t riding tempo. And if they say you are riding at threshold for the 3rd consecutive hour, then you aren’t riding a threshold pace.

What the tests are useful for is measuring progress. Pick a method and stick with it. But you don’t need a head unit to do that. You need a stopwatch, a power meter and any device that will read out average power.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jever98

by jever98

Agree with both of the last two posts. Most ppl completely ignore their power curve beyond an hour, even if they do longer events.
----

dedobike

by dedobike

Maybe it would be better to take a garmin? Wahoo is a great product but as an ecosystem does not have garmin connect and training peaks is a charge, what software do you use to analyze outputs?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

WR74

by WR74

c60rider wrote:
dedobike wrote:
GothicCastle wrote:

The 8 minute test is from Chris Carmichael found here
http://trainright.com/cts-field-test-why-eight-minutes-not-20/
Very interesting reading. Thanks for sharing the link

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk