Gluing SW-R9150 to Pro Vibe carbon bars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

salesguy

by salesguy

Looking for some mounting options for these remote shifters. These are the new satellite shifters and they do come with mounting pads which can be zip tied in place.

Bars are the new carbon pro vibe aero bars. Great looking bars, internal routing is still a PITA. Haven't run the di2 wires yet but I get the sense it will be crowded in there, and will probably have to remove the housing first to get all the wires run.

I want a clean look, and I prefer to mount these without zip ties or the rubber mounting pad. The only option that seems reasonable is to glue them in place, about where they are shown in the picture. That would allow routing the wire right into the bars. Nice and clean.

My question is what type of glue would be best. Obviously epoxy would hold them in place well, but be permanent. I was thinking silicon RTV adhesive might be a good choice. Would it be less permanent, with some hope of removal if desired?

Any other suggestions?
Attachments
IMG_9450.JPG
IMG_2175 2.JPG

ms6073

by ms6073

Not a direct answer as we got these for use with ST-R9170 hydraulic shifters to be used like sprint shifters. Not exactly the same situation, but I was able to mount the shifters on the outer curves of the drops, ditching the zip ties, using electrical tape instead, and dremeled off the zip tie 'tab', as well as adding a custom cut strip of bar tape over the switch to smooth the bulges before applying regular leather bar wrap.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

@saleguy,

Try some 3M auto body tape. This is a double-sided tape. I've used it to mount those shifters to my bars. Worked well, never came off. And you can remove the tape if you pull hard enough.

salesguy

by salesguy

Thanks @MoreRideTIme. I have used the 3m stuff to mount my junction box in the past with good luck. For some reason it wasn't sticking at all to these shifters. Maybe I'll clean them again and try.

Are you using the 3m trim tape that is kind of a rubbery foam for about $8 https://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B002JOVUO0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508622106&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+automotive+trim+tape or the more expensive "https://www.amazon.com/3M-06349-50-8-Trim-Masking/dp/B000P18N6W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508621997&sr=8-4&keywords=3m+automotive+trim+tape"?

I just noticed the retail price on these shifters, $159, the must be the world's most expensive momentary contact switches. Sheesh. But it is very nice to shift on the tops, I use it more than anywhere else, especially indoors on the rollers.

Silicon RTV seems to hold well enough, seems to be removable from the carbon bars (tested in a hidden area). I may use that and see how it goes.

Right now an ugly piece of electrical tape holds them in place. At least there is a hole for the wire right next to their placement.

salesguy

by salesguy

Thanks @MoreRideTIme. I have used the 3m stuff to mount my junction box in the past with good luck. For some reason it wasn't sticking at all to these shifters. Maybe I'll clean them again and try.

Are you using the 3m trim tape that is kind of a rubbery foam for about $8 https://www.amazon.com/3M-03614-Scotch-Mount-Molding-Tape/dp/B002JOVUO0/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1508622106&sr=8-2&keywords=3m+automotive+trim+tape or the more expensive "https://www.amazon.com/3M-06349-50-8-Trim-Masking/dp/B000P18N6W/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1508621997&sr=8-4&keywords=3m+automotive+trim+tape"?

I just noticed the retail price on these shifters, $159, the must be the world's most expensive momentary contact switches. Sheesh. But it is very nice to shift on the tops, I use it more than anywhere else, especially indoors on the rollers.

Silicon RTV seems to hold well enough, seems to be removable from the carbon bars (tested in a hidden area). I may use that and see how it goes.

Right now an ugly piece of electrical tape holds them in place. At least there is a hole for the wire right next to their placement.

ms6073

by ms6073

salesguy wrote:I just noticed the retail price on these shifters, $159, the must be the world's most expensive momentary contact switches. Sheesh.

Except that they are not simply momentary switches like the SW-R610 sprint shifters, the SW-R9150 can act as a set of stand-alone shifters, as they can be plugged in the Junction A and use in place of a front or rear ST-R9150/R9170 shifter.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

salesguy

by salesguy

For anyone following, the 3M auto trim tape works great. The cheap stuff with the red backing.

I cleaned both switch and bars with degreaser and let dry
I used a heat gun to warm up the tape before mounting

This time it stuck much more firmly and survived just fine on a long ride. Easily a better solution than any type of glue, and completely clean looking vs zip ties or using the rubber mounts these come with. Same applies to the junction box if you have one on your stem. Highly recommend this stuff, if you take the above steps it will hold on well.

Good to know, MS6073, thx

MoreRideTime

by MoreRideTime

@Salesguy,

I am using the red backing tape. Just make sure that the back of the shifter switch and the bar area are clean and grime free. I use isopropyl alcohol and then let it dry well before installing. FYI, this tape works well for holding a small rare earth magnet on the crank arm for a cadence sensor too.

Ezra

by Ezra

I have had success using a 4 cm by 6 cm strip of gorilla tape with a 1 cm by 6 mm hole cut into it for the button to pass through. The tape has a non-stretch cloth 'carcass' and is very grippy, enough to secure the shifter in place.

alexmcm09

by alexmcm09

Have you considered using Sugru?

It'll hold it firmly in place, and is pretty straight-forward to remove. If you use the black stuff it'll look super clean. I used some recently to plug a hole in my frame, it worked really well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

I’m using Gorilla double sided clear tape for sticking Campy EPS control units to the underside of stems. Seems to work, supposed to be permanent (I’m sure I could remove it if it have to), and it’s at least a millimeter thick so can conform to slightly recessed surfaces and still leave enough to stick to the whatever you’re sticking it to. May want something a little firmer for the satellite buttons however.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ