Got a disc brake Izalco by accident... what do I do?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike001100

by mike001100

Hi,

so, if anybody has been following my posts, you will know I was looking at reducing my bike stable... long story short, I ordered a rim brake Focus Izalco Max frame to serve as my winter, rain, race and "aero" bike.

About 3 weeks later, today, the frame comes in through the mail, and guess what... it's the disc brake version.

ARGH!!!!

What do I do, what do I do????!!!????

Do I return it, or build it up? How much weight difference am I looking at?

stockae92

by stockae92

I was thinking ... "accidentally got a new bike"?

I should use the same excuse to tell my wife when a new bike suddenly show up :D

But wouldn't disc brake good for winter if there are rain and stuff?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Miller

by Miller

Keep it. Rim brake bikes are quaint now.

Ok, I'm joking... kind of.

madik

by madik

It's gotta be destiny. Take the chances and build it!
Functionality > Performance > Weight

mike001100

by mike001100

I am beginning to think it is destiny... I mean, look:

-I decide I want to have a rim brake only bike stable
-I sell my cyclocross disc bike
-I search the internet for a light weight frameset that I can get at a good price (got the Focus at a great price) for 3 weeks
-I explicitly stated I want the RIM BRAKE version
-I waited another week to get the frameset
-I had to go and pick it up twice, first time it was already loaded up to be delivered for the next day...

And I get the disc brake version?!?!?! Really, it does sound like destiny...

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Hmm, winter and rain bike, yes. Race and aero bike, not what I'd choose. Not many people would want the same bike for those two different things. I'd build up this disc frame on a budget as the winter/rain bike, then build a budget aero/light/race bike. The Fuji Transonic SL with China carbon wheels makes a good basis for one of those.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

You want a rim brake bike and you got a disc brake and you want to know what to do? Exchange it. I find disc road bikes ugly and as the road bike has a simple aesthetic beauty i would not compromise it for a mild performance benefit in the wet - but that probably depends where you live.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

UpFromOne

by UpFromOne

What size is it? Depending on what a "great price" you got, I might offer more.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

+1 on size inquiry and for sale thread. Sorta wet up in the PNW...

mike001100

by mike001100

I am located in Europe, so I don't think it would be worth anybody's while to buy it from me...

Price was 1350 EUR shipped...

I will probably keep it, we'll see... when life deals you lemons, make lemonade...

ARGH!

:) :) :) ;)

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

mike001100 wrote:Hi,

so, if anybody has been following my posts, you will know I was looking at reducing my bike stable... long story short, I ordered a rim brake Focus Izalco Max frame to serve as my winter, rain, race and "aero" bike.

About 3 weeks later, today, the frame comes in through the mail, and guess what... it's the disc brake version.

ARGH!!!!

What do I do, what do I do????!!!????

Do I return it, or build it up? How much weight difference am I looking at?

Info from Road.CC website
"Disc frame weighs a claimed 790g for a size 54cm, with a fork weighing 320g".

Focus Disc with SRAM Red claimed 6.8kg out of box

Pros and cons to a disc brake bike :noidea:

Depending on lots of things - some of it'll come down to $

To quote Mr.Gib in a separate thread

"Nobody thinks disc brakes are a bad thing in themselves. The problem is the extra cost, complication and weight for what is in some cases is a small or zero benefit to the buyer. The subject of this thread is about weight so for some buyers disc brakes could represent a negative benefit."

I really like the Focus Disc - but I've only got one bike for commuting, training & racing
Take the word racing with a pinch of salt :)

This guy less so

http://dirtynomad.com/focusing-on-my-fever-part-1/
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

uraz

by uraz

Real weight in size 56 is 860g - bare frame, 336g - fork (24cm steerer tube), hanger - 9g, cable guide 4g. It rides actually pretty decent, not worse than non-evo supersix hi-mod (only steering is slightly slower due to longer chainstay). Seatpost weight - 199g (350mm), can by easily tuned (like thomson) by swapping upper craddle and barrel nuts (-25g). Complete headset (FSA SL aluminum bearings) - 44g.

There is only 1 thing about this bike that I really don't like - RAT axles. Heavy as hell and problematic. I'm planning to replace them with some bolt-on's but it's not that easy (non standard length and custom end caps).

Sub 6500g could be achieved without any extra pricey components (mix of sram red/force, custom aluminum tubeless wheels, ...)

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

uraz wrote:
There is only 1 thing about this bike that I really don't like - RAT axles. Heavy as hell and problematic. I'm planning to replace them with some bolt-on's but it's not that easy (non standard length and custom end caps

Yep heavy 75.3g & 62.2g

What problems have you had?

I like the RAT system, have found them easy to use & problem free
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

uraz

by uraz

Plus steel "endcaps" with steel bolts; 14.5g rear and 15.2g front. ~165g in total :evil:

Things I don't like about RAT axles:

1. Weight
2. Non standard length (can't be easily swapped to sometnig else for weight reduction, turbo trainer compatibility, roof rack compatibility, etc.)
3. Too weak clamping force (depends on hubs you are using)
4. Clamping force repetability. After removing axles there is a big probability that next mounting will slightly move wheel (disc rotor) and cause brake rub.
5. Appearance. It's subjective but they look bulky.
6. Clicking noise under load on rear axle (greasing helps for some time)

hawkinssmythe

by hawkinssmythe

Keep it. You will never look back. I bought a disc C60 18 months ago. Then I was one of a few with discs but in that time it is amazing the number of people that now have discs.

That in itself isn’t a good enough reason, but I can assure you once you get used to it you will never go back. It’s not about riding down hills, riding in the wet. It’s just about being a more efficient, more complete machine.

Enjoy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com