Lighten Hydraulic Brake Bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joejack951

by joejack951

Lewn777 wrote:7.5 KG are we talking $5000?

My Hongfu FM079-F build with Campy Chorus, 40mm carbon tubular rims with Bitex hubs, and TRP HY/RD calipers came in at 7.56kg for ~$3500. I could have saved money on certain parts (non-Icetech rotors) or spent the same (shallow rims, narrow tires) and dropped well under the 7.5kg mark.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jever98

by jever98

hannawald wrote:8,1 kg incl. pedals and bottle cages is actually not bad for a disc brake bike. you could save with new dura ace levers about 150g with no harm to functionality. with seatpost you can save about 80g choosing something really light, but with sacrifising a bit of comfort as vcls seatposts are very comfortable. You may choose lighter saddle. you may have lighter rotors, shimano rotor is about 125g, my galfer rotors, which works ok, are under 90g. but they are 6bolts, so you need 10g adapter. You can switch to lighter tubes, latex tube can be about 60g while the stock tube can be about 100g, this is a cheap upgrade:) you may buy another wheelset. Mavic Cosmic is nice but between 1700-1800g. My 35mm tubeless MCFK wheels are about 1300g. not so aero, but fits Ultimate scope well..

@hannawald: can you give feedback on the mcfk wheels ? Are you happy with them?
----
No longer in the industry

hannawald

by hannawald

i am not the best one to review the wheels, i don't race, i ride on weekends and do about 6000km a year. After a year they are ok, i run them tubeless with Pro One tyres, they are light, but can not compare their speed/aero qualities with something else..

jever98

by jever98

Thanks, that's useful nonetheless.

Do you know per chance how wide the pro ones inflate to on these rims? And how heavy are you?

Best
----

hannawald

by hannawald

I am 80 kgs.

I use 28mm Pro Ones. At the beginning they were about that size but now they are 30mm. Next time I will put there 25mm version.

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Fatclimber wrote:So.. the Canton Ultimate Disc is just a wee bit porky at 8.1 kg including pedals, bottle cages and the Wahoo .. it's the 9.0 SL model on ultegra 6800 and the "ultegra level" no line hydraulic calipers and shifters. How much weight would it be possible to save by changing calipers and or shifters to 8000 or 9100 series? (:

I managed 7.2kg with pedals, bottlecages and Garmin Mount! Probably could have shaved 300gr off by keeping the carbon frame naked, but went a little crazy on paint!

Don‘t think I can save any more weight, unless I install a non-powermeter THM crank, and maybe I find a light isp saddle clamp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

Delorre

by Delorre

Fatclimber wrote:So.. the Canton Ultimate Disc is just a wee bit porky at 8.1 kg including pedals, bottle cages and the Wahoo .. it's the 9.0 SL model on ultegra 6800 and the "ultegra level" no line hydraulic calipers and shifters. How much weight would it be possible to save by changing calipers and or shifters to 8000 or 9100 series? (:

See my sig. Endurace disc is a real 6,9 all in (pedals, garmin, stages etc) Apart frameset and groupset, all other parts where swapped. Out of the box, it was 7.4 without pedals, cages etc

JayUK

by JayUK

Hi there,

My End CF SLX is around 6.59 without extras (pedals, cages, Garmin mount, sensors, pump, etc) - I cant remember the exact weight to be honest.

With all the above bits it's about 6.9kg.

J.

jever98

by jever98

alexneumuller wrote:

I managed 7.2kg with pedals, bottlecages and Garmin Mount! Probably could have shaved 300gr off by keeping the carbon frame naked, but went a little crazy on paint!

Don‘t think I can save any more weight, unless I install a non-powermeter THM crank, and maybe I find a light isp saddle clamp!

Nice bike! What's your saddle height and drop? And do you have a detailed build list?

Thanks
----

alexneumuller

by alexneumuller

Apologies for the slow response, been ill so no desire to think about cycling! :)

Saddle Height is 816mm, and with drop do you mean saddle height to top of handlebar?

Build is, but this is without weight measurements!
Arundel Mandible Matt
Ceramicspeed Bottom Bracket PF4630
Ceramicspeed DT 240s disc, not oversized hub body wheelkit
Ceramicspeed OSPW SRAM RED 11-28
Continental R28 Supersonic 700 x 20 - 25C Presta 60mm valve inner tube
Enve Wheelset US - 3.4 SES DISC Clincher Shimano 11 CK Black Hub (Thru Axles 12/142)
DT Swiss 240 with Ceramic Bearings
SRAM Chainring Road 36t
SRAM Chainring Road Red B2 X-Glide 52T
SRAM RED ETAP HYD
SRAM RED22 Hollowpin 11 Speed Chain
Sram Red22 XG-1190 11-28 cassette
SRM THM Clavicula M3 175mm 52/36
Supacaz Bartape SUPER STICKY KUSH Black
Conti GP4000II
K-Edge Aero Garmin Mount
Speedplay Metal Pedals
Carbon Ti Thru Axles
Ax-Lightness Stem 120mm
Ax-Lightness Handlebar 420mm
Prologo Zero C3 CPC Pas Nack SAddle 132

Still thinking of where I can save weight. Obvious place would be saddle, but I really like the Prologo ones. And I probably could go lighter wheels, with a different hub for example. But find the 3.4 solid as anythink for me, and I weigh 90kg, so wanted a wheelset I fully trust and have ridden before. I have a set of Lightweight Meilenstein non Disc on a different bike, but I don't travel with them, as I have broken a set before and they are a pain to get fixed or replaced. And the Parlee is suppose to be travel friendly for me. Kind of....travel friendly probably means something else for a lot of people. :)

jever98 wrote:
alexneumuller wrote:

Nice bike! What's your saddle height and drop? And do you have a detailed build list?

Thanks
3T Exploro - Bastion - Baum - Colnago - Cielo - English Cycles - Enve - Festka - ISEN - Standert - Open - Pegoretti - Pinarello - Specialized - Sturdy - Stinner - Spoon - Speedvagen - Vanilla Classic - Parlee

Strava
Instagram

stormur

by stormur

Delorre wrote:
See my sig. Endurace disc is a real 6,9 all in (pedals, garmin, stages etc) Apart frameset and groupset, all other parts where swapped. Out of the box, it was 7.4 without pedals, cages etc

Maybe I'm wrong ( in that matter rarely ) but unless I'll see video with hanging bike on scale - coming from known mnufacturer -showing zero , my faith in such claims is equal to faith in Strava records ;) read : close to none. No, exactly none. Zero. Niente.

If you say I'm wrong... prove it. :mrgreen:
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mark Twain

I can be wrong, and have plenty of examples for that ;)

Delorre

by Delorre

stormur wrote:
Delorre wrote:

Maybe I'm wrong ( in that matter rarely ) but unless I'll see video with hanging bike on scale - coming from known mnufacturer -showing zero , my faith in such claims is equal to faith in Strava records ;) read : close to none. No, exactly none. Zero. Niente.

If you say I'm wrong... prove it. :mrgreen:

If you don't believe it, it's your problem :wink: I have a scale pic of the current disc bike @ a little above 6.5 kg without pedals, but with garmin, bottle cage etc. Scale shows 25gr more than real @ 5kg. I did the comparison with a highly accurate electronic kitchen scale, 5 x 1 kg on the dott, all put in a plastic bag (1 or 2 gr max) and hung on the scale.... And with the rim brake bike, the real weight is very close to the sum off all the parts weighted individually. So, my faith in that hanging scale is quite high. I even weighted the bike (the Endurace one) without wheels and both wheels on the kitchen scale. Sum of both was only a few gram off compared to the corrected weight of the hanging scale.

And here stops my defense :D I even don't know why I should proof myself. What do I win with cheeting? it's not a record breaking or real WW bike, it only shows what's possible with a thought out choise of parts.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

The places where disc brakes are most beneficial, descents, are also the kind of places where the disadvantage is the biggest, climbs (weight).

And we spend much more time climbing than descending.

For heavier riders it's a safety thing but for lighter it isn't. Thats my take on the subject. Descend carefully and enjoy a light bike. Alloy rims or brake tracks with swisstop black pads are an easy upgrade for caliper brake bikes that provides great stopping power.

/a

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

^This. How did we skip "light alloy brake track" bikes and go straight from all-carbon rims (lightest weight, worst braking) to disc (highest weight, best braking)? I feel like fashion is the only reason people who wanted better braking than carbon offers did't go back to alloy (it's also the cheapest option). Anyone who raves about how great discs feel should try 3rd gen Shimano calipers on alloy rims. I can one finger stoppie on them. I don't need braking that good on my WW bikes so I use carbon rims on them (and Planet X brakes on the bikes that allow).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Sorry for going off topic with my last post.

To lighten the bike I'd make sure I have a light groupset like Sram Red and light hoses/rotors/calipers. The rest is just like on any other bike.

How heavy is the wheelset? If it's over 1500gr you could maybe (if you are not a heavy rider) try some lighter wheelsets. A carefully designed wheelset could save you a lot I think.

Because the factory tries to support most people's weights they might add more strength than you need. Going custom would save you some.

/a