Pacenti SL23 cracked, now what?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

DeLuz

by DeLuz

My pacenti SL23 is toast, need a new rim considering the following:

Pacenti Forza - Would sort of match front wheel. Like that it is OC, but afraid of reliability.

Boyd Altamont - 30mm deep and a bit heavier. Not sure if it is really more aero or if I care. Would be mostly for looks and placebo effect. The ceramic version looks cool but not sure if it would wear off the brake track.

HED Belgium - These seem to be highly regarded and look nice, a little shallower than other rims.

Easton R90 SL - Have a good depth to weight ratio, look nice. Hard to find 20H. I think I am leaning towards this rim.

mentok

by mentok

I've got a few thousand kilometres on my Forza OC which replaced my cracked sl23 rear rim. So far so good. From memory I managed to get away with not changing spokes (I think - I might have changed 1 side possibly, but check for yourself). The fact that I could re-use at least some of the spokes was enough to make it a "cheap" fix - I really didn't want to go down the road of new spokes, and mismatched brands for front and rear rims (i'm still running the SL23 up front and it's doing ok for the time being).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DeLuz

by DeLuz

I would like to reuse the spokes. From what I can tell ERD on SL23 is 589 vs 591 for Forza so maybe possible. I will check to see how much of the spokes thread is showing in the nipples

morganb

by morganb

Were these V1 or V2 SL23s?

DeLuz

by DeLuz

V2

DeLuz

by DeLuz

i am really loving thins build with Easton R90SL and Pillar rainbow spokes. Really tempted even though the spokes are $4.50 each.

madcow
Shop Owner

by madcow

The R90SL is a fantastic rim. They come from the same factory as the Hed and are the same stellar quality. They're just a little lighter and a little less expensive than the hed plus and unlike the Hed the decals are easy to remove on the Eastons. As for 20 hole, they are hard to find since that's not a standard sku that Easton offers. We had Easton custom make them for us. We also introduced our friends at Wheelbuilder in SoCal to them so he also carries the 20h, but other than the two of us and some independent wheel builders that we supply I don't know of anyone who has access to them since they aren't available though normal distribution.

Miller

by Miller

DeLuz wrote:My pacenti SL23 is toast, need a new rim considering the following:
Pacenti Forza - Would sort of match front wheel. Like that it is OC, but afraid of reliability.

I swapped a rear SL23 for a Forza because the SL23 cracked. The Forza is 50g heavier on my measurement so on the face of it should have more longevity. Without looking closely it looks very similar to the front SL23 and the asymmetric design is a good thing.

DeLuz

by DeLuz

Looks like I can't reuse the spokes, they ends are not even showing at the head of the nipples so they will be too short.

maquisard

by maquisard

Hmmm, I have a set of SL23 wheels, I'm going to check them carefully this evening.

In the past I've had a couple of sets of H Plus Son Archetypes - bomb proof rims, albeit a bit heavy

dim

by dim

madcow wrote:The R90SL is a fantastic rim. They come from the same factory as the Hed and are the same stellar quality. They're just a little lighter and a little less expensive than the hed plus and unlike the Hed the decals are easy to remove on the Eastons. As for 20 hole, they are hard to find since that's not a standard sku that Easton offers. We had Easton custom make them for us. We also introduced our friends at Wheelbuilder in SoCal to them so he also carries the 20h, but other than the two of us and some independent wheel builders that we supply I don't know of anyone who has access to them since they aren't available though normal distribution.

there's not much price difference between the R90SL and the HED Belgium Plus rims .... I opted for the Belgium Plus and am well happy, and they look stunning aswell .... laced to Chris King R45 hubs (ceramic bearing upgrade) and C-Xray spokes .... I am using tubeless tyres.

I have cycled on some poor pothole roads and the wheels are as true as the day I fitted them
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

hmai18

by hmai18

I had my rear SL23v2 crack and got in touch with the folks at Boyd. The Altamont Lite has a very close ERD, so it may still be possible to reuse spokes: "The ERD of the Altamont Lite is 590. I know the Pacenti is 589, and so unless your spokes were right on the border of being too short already, then they should work with no problem to use the same spokes."

Another rim to consider is the https://fairwheelbikes.com/kinlin-xr-26t-tubeless-road-rim/?

Mtn2

by Mtn2

Hi, I have the usual problem, a set of sl23's with a crack to the rear drive side. Has anybody heard of any issues with cracking to the front rim? Searched net but found nothing. Reason I ask is I am considering changing the rear to a Forza maybe, and leaving the front as it is if there are no issues. If it's a case the fronts are cracking too, may consider changing both, but rather not if not required.

ergott

by ergott

Mtn2 wrote:
Fri Apr 27, 2018 8:56 pm
Hi, I have the usual problem, a set of sl23's with a crack to the rear drive side. Has anybody heard of any issues with cracking to the front rim? Searched net but found nothing. Reason I ask is I am considering changing the rear to a Forza maybe, and leaving the front as it is if there are no issues. If it's a case the fronts are cracking too, may consider changing both, but rather not if not required.
If shipping costs aren't an issue I'd just replace one at a time.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Svetty

by Svetty

DeLuz wrote:
Mon Oct 16, 2017 9:17 pm
Looks like I can't reuse the spokes, they ends are not even showing at the head of the nipples so they will be too short.
Unless you get an asymmetrical rim the Forza will work with the same spokes. 1mm less spoke:nipple engagement isn't significant.