Allez Sprint - Di2 (without voiding the frame warranty)

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

So I finally received my Allez Sprint frameset (Chameleon Purple). I've been racking my brain and searching everywhere I can find to figure out how to build it with the 6870 groupset that came off of my last bike without voiding the warranty. As many know, Specialized provided no provisions for Di2 with the Sprint. There are no holes for the E-Tube cables to be run inside the chainstay or out of the seat tube.

My solution was to have the cables exit the downtube where the shift cables would normally exit and follow the cable line. The problem with this is that the connectors will not fit through the cable stops. The cable itself however will. In order to make this work I had to cut the cables, pull them through the top tube and out the bottom of the head tube, and solder the connectors back on. I used a 700cm cable for the front deraileur, a 1M cable for the rear.

I used another 1M cable for the battery, attached the B-junction, and used floral wire to pull it up from the BB to the headtube. I connected it, the deraileur cables, the ANT+/BT transmitter, and shoved all of them back down the downtube. Cable to the A-junction runs out one of the downtube ports. I have Specialized PN# S132000002 on order. This is a cable stop kit for running Di2 on the Venge and Roubaix. I also have S136800017 on order, which is a battery mount to go in the Venge seat post (should fit). As I mentioned, I ran the E-tube cables through the cable stops, I used Shimano's wire cover to keep it properly routed.

When I spliced them back together I used small shrink wrap on the individual wires, then a larger one (big enough to fit over the connector) for the full splice. I'm sure you get the idea. Just wanted to get this posted to help out anyone else looking for another option to run Di2 on the Allez Sprint.

I have some pictures of what I did, they can be found HERE along with some snaps of the final build.

edit to change pictures link from Google Drive to Imgur
Last edited by IrrelevantD on Wed May 02, 2018 4:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

projectrichie

by projectrichie

I love the sprint, I got one myself as well!.

I am curious on what mount you are using that attaches to the s works stem? Looks so tidy and clean, not really a fan of the k edge. Could you link me where you got your mount that attaches to the stem? Also does it work with Garmin 510?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Form Mount from F3cycling. https://www.f3cycling.com

Was a kickstarter find. Works with any Garmin or Wahoo compatible computer.
* There is a 70% chance that what you have just read has a peppering of cynicism or sarcasm and generally should not be taken seriously.
I'll leave it up to you to figure out the other 30%. If you are in any way offended, that's on you.

itguy

by itguy

Wow nicely done!

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

itguy wrote:
Thu Jul 26, 2018 12:59 pm
Wow nicely done!
Thanks

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Nice and clean. I approve.

My 2012 Madone has EPS and is not electronic "specific" I was lucky with the front derailleur hole being just about the right size for the connector. I just lost an EPS gromit inside the shifter cable hole and the other is uncovered - I have another but the BB90 being the bane of my existence has me more willing to leave it (even though I just replaced the left bearing) . The sugru is a great idea for the uncovered hole and maybe improvement over the gromit that isn't a perfect fit.

I didn't know this etube tape existed. I might need to pick it up because I might be setting up a new bike that has external cable routing to the rear derailleur.

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Sugru is a fun little fix for things you didn't know needed to be fixed. Kinda like JB Weld and duct tape. At the top tube where the rear brake cable enters I removed the default fitting and cut a piece of plastic straw and filled in Sugru arround it to pass the etube and brake cable housing through. I've seen other people modify the cable hole cover, but I wanted to have the option of being able to return it to mechanical easily if I ever needed to.

Only problem with the etube tape is, as with all tape, it only sticks for so long and I'm getting to the point, after 10,000km, that it starting to come un stuck at the ends. Might have to replace it soon.

Mileswithmiles

by Mileswithmiles

Hi,

I am having the same problem that you did with getting my Ultegra 6870 Di2 on my new Allez Sprint. I have a few questions for you before I try your method.

1. Have you had any issues with your shifting after soldering the cable back together?

2. What model of battery do you have? BT-DN110 in the seat post?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

IrrelevantD

by IrrelevantD

Mileswithmiles wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:38 pm
Hi,

I am having the same problem that you did with getting my Ultegra 6870 Di2 on my new Allez Sprint. I have a few questions for you before I try your method.

1. Have you had any issues with your shifting after soldering the cable back together?

2. What model of battery do you have? BT-DN110 in the seat post?

1. Nope. As long as it's a good soldering job, should be no issues.

2. Yes, 110 battery, seat post battery holder for the original Venge, it's the same seatpost.

I've actually stripped off the Di2 and sold my Sprint, but it worked great for the two years I had it.