Ticking noise on C60?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wilwil

by wilwil

I have a ticking noise every crank revolution when my right foot is at 1-2 o'clock. Could this be the Campy BB cups or do they make more of a creaking sound? It was worse when I started the ride but now its not going away. It wasn't there for a few months after the bike was built, its something that has developed. Any ideas?

wedgie

by wedgie

More likely to be the ultra torque bearings moving in the cups. I've had the same problem. Removing the crankset and re-greasing the bearing-cup interface helps for a few hundred kms but the noise will come back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mockenrue

by Mockenrue

I had this for a while. Doing the above plus applying a little grease to the hirth joint teeth and crank bolt threads stopped it.

Zakalwe

by Zakalwe

Grease your cleats

wobbly

by wobbly

Saddle rails or seat post ??

lone wheeler

by lone wheeler

Had same thing on my C60, thought it was the BB. Changed wheels and it went away so put the original wheels back in (lightweights) after putting a little grease on the skewers and it went away.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Had this on my white C60. It was reproducible after two different bearing cups (installed with loctite) and in the stand with no wheels installed. I blame threadfit or the Campy crank. Running a THM crank on my blue bike with no issues (and same skewers).

micky

by micky

As others are suggesting, start from simple things like swapping skewers, wheels, using some WD40 or similar on all bolts/nuts, and so on.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Chainring bolts can make ticks/creaks too...

wilwil

by wilwil

Ive checked skewers and mech hanger. The BB cups are greased. will check chain ring bolts...

jmagoulas

by jmagoulas

Also had the same issue on my C60. Would grease the cups and would go away for a bit. Some anodizing rubbed off on the inside, driveside cups so I thought to swap out with some new cups. Has been dead silent for 500+ blissful miles.

mfin

by mfin

Crank flicking the cable of the FD?

vanillaflyweight

by vanillaflyweight

I've had a similar thing happen once before. Turned out one of the chain ring bolts had come loose and was hitting the frame (hence once per revolution) By the time i had found the issue the gel coat had worn away. Could have been much worse though.

shipley

by shipley

My look pedals caused mine......fixed by greasing the axels.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

Fixed the ticking noise on my C60 yesterday by lubing chainring bolts before torquing to Shimano's spec. All chainring bolts are either lose or dry on my 2-month old Pioneer PM. That's bad QC for Pioneer.