Tubeless road tires don't work for everyone - discuss

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The point is most rim manufacturers tend to make rims slightly big in circumference and most tire manufacturers tend to make tires slightly small. All in the interest of not having tires blow off. Since this is Mavic’s big marketing claim, I find it hard to believe their tires and rims do not fit like a glove to a hand.

Maybe the Open Pro UST is an afterthought not built to the same tolerances since it was introduced a little bit earlier in the year.

Svetty

by Svetty

TobinHatesYou wrote:....I find it hard to believe anything that doesn't fit my 'tubeless are brilliant' narrative
;)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

I have just tied another yskion ust on a another mavic op ust rim and the same thing. i has to use my tyre lever not difficult so I am not complaining but not as easy as some have suggested it should be either. infaltion is striaght forawrd though. I mounted the yskion onto a kinlin rim and it was about as tight a fit as the same tyre was on the mavic rim. inflation was easy too.

So I think the mavic tyre is well sized but the it does not seem to lock into the rim (on the kinlin XR22T and the mavic OP UST) as well as schwalble pro one's or IRC tyres do. It locks in though that the main thing. It is a bit less tight than the IRC tyres on Kinlin (and schwalbes for that matter) but not massively so either.

Stickman

by Stickman

Can you inflate tubeless tyres with a CO2 cartridge or a normal floor pump, or do you need one of those high volume canisters for rapid inflation?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Stickman wrote:Can you inflate tubeless tyres with a CO2 cartridge or a normal floor pump, or do you need one of those high volume canisters for rapid inflation?

Usually a floor pump is fine. Sometimes you might need a bit of help like lubing the tire beads with soap so they can pop out of the center channel more easily. In a pinch CO2 can work, but it isn't guaranteed to pop the beads out of the channel with especially difficult tires.

ooo

by ooo

New globalcyclingnetwork road tubeless video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jIf7CJ8QCI
'

dim

by dim

bm0p700f wrote:Every rim is different to. I can mount irc's by hand to he'd Belgium rims for example. It would appear the mavic op rim might be a bit bigger than yours. Tight tyres on one rim maybe alot looser on an other but rims that are know fir easy tyre fitting can have have tyres that are impossible to mount. An example is the strada challange bianca. A very easy fit to velocity ailerons and other rims but try fitting one to a H plus son archetype well I gave up. The archetype is a well sized rim. So given you where not fitting the yskion ust tyres to a non mavic rim then no conclusion can be drawn about how they mount to the open pro ust rim.

I am off to the shop to mount a tyre I predict I don't have an outlier.

I'm using the 2017 IRC Formula Pro RBCC tubeless road tyres for the 1st time .... so far I have cycled 1020km .... one puncture that self sealed

These tyres still look brand new .... roll fast (I would say that they are slightly faster than Conti GP4000SII , but slightly slower than Specialized Turbo Cottons ... but the grip is amazing and they tyres still look brand new

what sort of mileage can I expect from these before I have to replace them?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Sanjay

by Sanjay

I've just replaced my worn Schwalbe Pro Ones with Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Seasons 'Tubeless Ready' tyres for winter riding. Far, far easier to mount than the Ones, but didn't get the 'sound' of them seating to the rim. Slightly worried they were too easy to fit and inflate! I'm going to leave them overnight to see if they hold their pressure. Anyone else had a similarly straight forward fitting Hutchinson tyres?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

dim, on my commutor bike 9 kg with 6kg load min and 87kg of me I get 7000km from the last rear RBCC. it was bulging at that point from impact damage (ridden off road alot) but it was actually not fully worn. The current formula pro x guard tyre on there at present has nearly 4400km on them and the centre section of file thread is worn but the tyre looks like half way through it life according the wear dimple. the front 28mm RBCC tyre has 11000km on it and no wear to the file thread. These tyres can do huge miles. On a race bike with less rear load mileage would be higher. The roadlites i use on my race bike (lower Crr than the RBCC but less grip) have around 2000km on them and there is no wear not even rounding off. The formula lights I also use on the race bike have 3000km and again they almost pristine.

This is IRC's party trick. I can cope with a tight fit because once on it is one for a long time. I would not worry about a puncture. Over the life of the tyre for me it will be patched and stuffed with worms (flint everywhere and it slices through everything then add gravel road and farm track riding) and they solider on. I leave my tyres fitted untill they are bulging or worn which ever comes first.

The sannio will get some maxxis pardones when I get back from hongkong as I want to see how they fair on wet suffolk lanes.

Sanjay, the IRC's i use mostly are a tigher fit than most tubeless tyres but do not snap in place. The op sound as the bead locks is a schwalbe thing. the mavic tyres dont do that either. When a tyre pops it is because the bead is not sliding into the bead hook smoothly it is snapping into place. not all tubeless tyre do this.

To test the bead lock deflate the tyre and see if it stay locked in place with no sealant in place. If good thumb pressure has to be applied then you can ride with a flat. if it falls away with light pressure or with no thumb force then you cant ride with a flat and may get burping riding a low pressures after a puncture. hense why a good fit is important to me. I dont want to stop even to top up with air mainly because I can and do forget my pump.

bobones

by bobones

Sanjay wrote:I've just replaced my worn Schwalbe Pro Ones with Hutchinson Fusion 5 All Seasons 'Tubeless Ready' tyres for winter riding. Far, far easier to mount than the Ones, but didn't get the 'sound' of them seating to the rim. Slightly worried they were too easy to fit and inflate! I'm going to leave them overnight to see if they hold their pressure. Anyone else had a similarly straight forward fitting Hutchinson tyres?
I had a similar experience fitting the same All Season Tubeless Ready tyre, which replaced a Tubeless Performance on my rear wheel that kept getting punctured. I got it on the rim (DT Swiss R460) easily by hand, and it inflated first time with a track pump. I used some Orange Seal when fitting and it kept pressure overnight. I've only done 180 miles on it, but so far, so good.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

in short there is nothing wrong.

naylor343

by naylor343

Sanjay wrote: Anyone else had a similarly straight forward fitting Hutchinson tyres?

I have recently fitted a pair of Hutchinson sector 32mm. They were worryingly the easiest tyres I have ever fitted, period. I had the same worries you had. This being my first time on tubeless, I was very concerned as I constantly read about others battling to fit leaver busting tight tyres. After an initial problem with the rim tape that was pre-fitted by the wheel manufacture, and subsequently changed, they inflated. Orange endurance sealant added and they have remained inflated since. In 2 weeks I have only had to add air once. On the 4 long rides I have completed on them, I have climbed and descended Pyrenean cols hitting 70 khm+ and I'm still in one piece. Happy with tubeless so far, and added bonus of no damaged thumbs or broken tyre levers.

As an added point, in case anyone is interested. The sector 32mm measure 30mm fitted to a 17c rim.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

As I’ve been saying all along, the Hutchinson-manufactured tubeless tires are all super-easy to mount by hand. This includes the Mavic Yksion Pro UST and Zipp Tangente Speed RT. It’s why I’m puzzled that bm0p700f had trouble mounting his sample.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It must be the Open Pro USTs. They probably have a shallow center channel making them tighter than most rims. I just nounted a pair of Yksion Pro USTs to my spare Velocity Ailerons quite easily, just like we've seen in the GCN video, the Glory Cycles video, etc.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQnnw4USXJw

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Ailerons are easy to get most tubeless on though. On my set the irc I use mount by hand. So no surprise there.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com