Any thoughts on the 2018 Trek emonda SLR rim brake version?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Windstopper

by Windstopper

ClydesdaleChris wrote:Image

Thank you sir for your time. Really appreciate it. Those are impressive numbers for that size on a stock of the shelf frame. I cant imagine what will it be on my size (50 or 48). Guess this will my number 1 pick and its more afforable compare to last year.

Thanks so many

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

apctjb

by apctjb

Will I be buying one?

I'm still considering what to do. I'm on an old USPS Trek with DA 7800 and carbon clinchers. I've gotten my money's worth from this old bike, and then some, and I still really like it, so I am taking my time to decide. I like the idea of staying with Trek, but haven't decided whether to go with the Emonda SLR or the Domane SLR. Either way I think I'll do a Project One with mechanical Dura Ace 9100.

I really like the light weight and the "traditional" style of the Emonda. And I was very impressed with the stiffness and power transfer. It was pretty remarkable, really. Much better than my current ride. Being honest with myself, however, the Domane with its relaxed geometry and smooth ISO Speed is probably a better choice for me for a bike that I plan to keep for many years. I'm not a racer; I enjoy long rides and I do get beat up a little by my current bike. And I'm not getting any younger. But there's something strangely off-putting to me about those ISO Speed decouplers.

Was the Domane actually more comfortable?

Yes. It was noticeably more comfortable. Very smooth. Very little road buzz compared to the Emonda. The Emonda has nice vertical compliance at the seatpost, but it transmitted the details of every road imperfection through the bars. I wonder how much of that could be mitigated by using 28mm tires? My current bike was smoother than the Emonda!

Is it worth the weight penalty?

That's the question. I'm not sure. The shop weighed a 2018 Domane SL 8 (not the one I rode) and it came in at 18.28 lbs (size 58cm, no pedals). That's a $5,000 bike with Dura Ace build at 18+ lbs! We also weighed my 2003 USPS Trek and it came in at 17.17 lbs (62 cm, without pedals). Unfortunately we didn't weigh the 2018 Emonda SL 6 that I test rode, but it was noticeably less then than my bike.

SilentDrone; I am in the same situation. Not getting younger so like the idea of the more relaxed geometry of the Domane, but also attracted to the light weight and simplicity of the Emonda which would shave 3-4 lbs from my current ride (Colnago C50 with Campy Record). I have ridden both and found pros and cons for each so it boils down to what is more important, a little more upright or a lot lighter. Currently in gridlock. Curious to hear what you decided..

Can you put 28 tires on the Emonda? If so would expect a very plush ride on regular tarmac..

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The Emonda SLR has 37mm of clearance at the chainstays, so it should clear up to 31mm measured comfortably.

Beaver

by Beaver

It should be 38mm as it is officially capable of 28mm tires and industry standard is 5mm space on all sides. ;) The Speci Tarmac SL and Orbea Orca even have 40mm for 30mm tires. ;)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Yeah it was 37.x mm when I measured with calipers, but I wanted to round down to be safe. Either way, something like 28mm Schwalbe Pro Ones, which measures out to 31mm on some rims, should be fine.

hlvd

by hlvd

keith wrote:My SLR 8 with disks is great, for riding in the rain. Total weight, with pump, etc is around 7kg...

We need more pics!

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

apctjb wrote:...
Can you put 28 tires on the Emonda? If so would expect a very plush ride on regular tarmac..

This thread is talking about the rim brake version. As such the limiting factor re tire clearance is generally under the brake bridges, not the chainstays (there’s plenty of clearance there). With the new Dura Ace 9100 brakes the clearance is very good and 28’s won’t be a problem. Anything bigger and you might as well get a disc braked gravel grinder, or a mountain bike.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

apctjb wrote:SilentDrone; I am in the same situation. Not getting younger so like the idea of the more relaxed geometry of the Domane, but also attracted to the light weight and simplicity of the Emonda which would shave 3-4 lbs from my current ride (Colnago C50 with Campy Record). I have ridden both and found pros and cons for each so it boils down to what is more important, a little more upright or a lot lighter. Currently in gridlock. Curious to hear what you decided..

I'm leaning towards a P1 Emonda SLR Disc, and spec-ing it with 28mm tires and the Bontrager ISO Core bars. I like the idea of doing that better than going full blown Domane. Did you notice that Trek is now marketing a Domane "Gravel" Version which appears to be simply the regular Domane running 35 tires and a gravel paint job. I am 100% positive I don't want a gravel bike. I plan to be putting in my P1 order in January with the idea of having the new rig ready for spring riding.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

hlvd wrote:
keith wrote:My SLR 8 with disks is great, for riding in the rain. Total weight, with pump, etc is around 7kg...

We need more pics!

I second this!

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

apctjb wrote:

Yes, I have a set of GP4000sii in 28mm coming, so I’ll post photos when they arrive. It should take them easily.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

SilentDrone wrote:
hlvd wrote:

We need more pics!

I second this!

:roll: ok! Gimme a day or two. I’ll do a big shoot.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
SilentDrone wrote:
hlvd wrote:

We need more pics!

I second this!

:roll: ok! Gimme a day or two. I’ll do a big shoot.

Pressure is on... those shots posted by TobinHatesYou were pretty sweet. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

springs

by springs

Could an Emonda owner confirm the seat tube lengths listed here:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes ... =black_red

If you read the FAQ below the geometry chart, they say:

"The seat tube geometry measurement on bikes featuring a seat mast, such as Emonda SLR Frameset, is a measurement from the center of the bottom bracket to the virtual top tube location on the seat mast, which is the location where the center of a virtual horizontal top tube would intersect the seat tube."

Looking at the seat tube numbers in the chart, this doesn't make sense to me. My notion of where the virtual horizontal top tube would intersect the seat tube would result in bigger numbers than shown in the chart. To eliminate the virtual stuff, it would be great to know the seat tube length from the BB to the center of the actual top tube intersection.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

So the Brief for this bike is:

Solid, stable "Super Grands-Fondo machine". As I'm a Clydesdale, I made some concessions to weight, for cost and practicality (though only in so much as a second bottle would add). Hence Ultegra R8000, Fulcrum Quattro Carbons and alloy finishing kit.

The bike still is bang-on 7kg, so even a half-arsed weight-weenie version would be early 6's. if not pushing 5's with carbon tubs and carbon cockpit.

I have MANY physical injuries, from active military service, so please spare me the headset spacers, soft bar tape and some easy gears :thumbup:

Specs:
Emonda SLR 2018 frameset (56cm, H2)
Ultegra R8000 Groupset: 172.5mm cranks, 50/34, 11-30, custom internal frame and bar wiring, D-Fly (W111),
Fulcrum Quattro Carbon wheelset,
GP4000SII 28mm tyres,
Bontrager Montrose Pro titanium saddle,
Bontrager Pro 100mm stem,
Bontrager RL Aero bars (44mm)
Bontrager supertack bar tape
Bontrager RL cages
Ultegra 6800 pedals (not broken, dont fix it!)

(and before anyone asks, I built this myself, and I'm happy to pass on build tips for the Di2 wiring to anyone)

Last edited by ClydesdaleChris on Fri Nov 17, 2017 2:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

springs wrote:Could an Emonda owner confirm the seat tube lengths listed here:

http://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bikes ... =black_red

If you read the FAQ below the geometry chart, they say:

"The seat tube geometry measurement on bikes featuring a seat mast, such as Emonda SLR Frameset, is a measurement from the center of the bottom bracket to the virtual top tube location on the seat mast, which is the location where the center of a virtual horizontal top tube would intersect the seat tube."

Looking at the seat tube numbers in the chart, this doesn't make sense to me. My notion of where the virtual horizontal top tube would intersect the seat tube would result in bigger numbers than shown in the chart. To eliminate the virtual stuff, it would be great to know the seat tube length from the BB to the centre of the actual top tube intersection.

I can tell you that the top tube of the SLR 2018 is a lot more sloped than the previous version, and a lot of other bikes. I have gone off the specifications for the virtual TT, and compared it to my Merckx and other bikes when selecting this frame and it compares. I wouldn't sweat a mm here or there. the specs from Trek are bang-on.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR