Any thoughts on the 2018 Trek emonda SLR rim brake version?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I really like your Emondas, @ClydesdaleChris and @TobinHatesYou. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

SilentDrone wrote:I really like your Emondas, @ClydesdaleChris and @TobinHatesYou. Thanks for sharing your feedback.

Thanks! Doing about 80km/ 1000m today. More to follow.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

springs

by springs

Can Emonda owners comment on this review? Specifically, at the end they say the Emonda is "skittish" and lacking stability. This review is not consistent with what I'm reading and hearing elsewhere. What are they referring to?

http://granfondo-cycling.com/test-trek-emonda-slr-disc-2018-is-lighter-really-better/

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I don’t think it’s wrong. It has a short front-center so it’s not going to be as stable. There’s no difference between “skittish / lacking stability” and “agile / responsive / lively handling.”

The Emonda will definitely be too squirrelly for some, so I don’t mind the terms being used.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Just home now, I would actually say the opposite. It is so planted. Having ridden a venge, now there’s the definition of skittish. That review is splitting hairs so it’s horses for courses, but this thing is so planted compared to a lot of other bikes. You have to try it.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I find myself correcting my line on corners I used to be smoother on because it turns in much faster. That's where I notice it more. I also notice it when I'm very tired on steep climbs and the bike starts to wobble a bit underneath. The vast majority of the time it's not something I'd notice, but it's going to feel a lot more "skittish" than something with a longer wheelbase. Doesn't bother me...I wanted "skittish."

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

TobinHatesYou wrote:I find myself correcting my line on corners I used to be smoother on because it turns in much faster. That's where I notice it more. I also notice it when I'm very tired on steep climbs and the bike starts to wobble a bit underneath. The vast majority of the time it's not something I'd notice, but it's going to feel a lot more "skittish" than something with a longer wheelbase. Doesn't bother me...I wanted "skittish."

My thoughts exactly. Coming from a cruise liner that is the Domane, the Emonda handles exactly how I wanted it to, very similar to the Merckx (century geometry) but with the road characteristics I wanted, and the sharper handling for crits and descending.

Very impressive bike. I rode it today with slightly too high front pressure and will experiment with lower pressures tomorrow by 5lb until I get a good balance. I suspect I’ll get down to 95f/ 110r and be bang on for road riding.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:I find myself correcting my line on corners I used to be smoother on because it turns in much faster. That's where I notice it more. I also notice it when I'm very tired on steep climbs and the bike starts to wobble a bit underneath. The vast majority of the time it's not something I'd notice, but it's going to feel a lot more "skittish" than something with a longer wheelbase. Doesn't bother me...I wanted "skittish."

My thoughts exactly. Coming from a cruise liner that is the Domane, the Emonda handles exactly how I wanted it to, very similar to the Merckx (century geometry) but with the road characteristics I wanted, and the sharper handling for crits and descending.

Very impressive bike. I rode it today with slightly too high front pressure and will experiment with lower pressures tomorrow by 5lb until I get a good balance. I suspect I’ll get down to 95f/ 110r and be bang on for road riding.

I really like the Emonda, and am leaning in that direction for my next bike. One thing that is appealing to me is that the geometry of the Emonda (and the Madone, for that matter) are effectively identical to that of my old 5200, which is a proven and comfortable "race" geometry. It is a "quick" handling bike but its not unstable or twitchy. The fact that this geometry has been around for a while is reassuring. Trek has it dialed.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

SilentDrone wrote:
I really like the Emonda, and am leaning in that direction for my next bike. One thing that is appealing to me is that the geometry of the Emonda (and the Madone, for that matter) are effectively identical to that of my old 5200, which is a proven and comfortable "race" geometry. It is a "quick" handling bike but its not unstable or twitchy. The fact that this geometry has been around for a while is reassuring. Trek has it dialed.

Curiously it’s very similar geometry to the Merckx “Century” geometry. Which I also like.

Yes, a fine bike indeed, and it gets 5 starts from me.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

thebubbatex

by thebubbatex

ClydesdaleChris wrote:
SilentDrone wrote:

Curiously it’s very similar geometry to the Merckx “Century” geometry. Which I also like.

I am riding a Merckx Race right now (after a 10 year layoff - it was a nice bike back in '04!) and looking hard at the Emonda. I like the handling of the Merckx but need more compliance in my old age. I am still an aggressive rider and thus do not really want to go to the Domane with it's more relaxed geometry. I am wrestling with the same issue you had earlier - or in another thread - SLR or SL (as well as rim vs. disc)? Is the SLR worth ~$1500 when I ride a 19.8 pound bike now. Maybe the SL with a good build (Ultegra, carbon bars/stem and carbon wheels) would still be ~3lbs light than what I am riding now. But I only buy a new bike about every decade...... As for rim vs. disc - I have really never had many problems stopping my bike (I live in Texas, so no mountain descents are on my routes). My wheels lock up before I stop if anything. But discs seem to be the future. Anyway - enjoyed your comments and picts above but what made you finally choose the SLR over the SL?

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

thebubbatex wrote:
ClydesdaleChris wrote:
SilentDrone wrote:

I am riding a Merckx Race right now (after a 10 year layoff - it was a nice bike back in '04!) and looking hard at the Emonda. I like the handling of the Merckx but need more compliance in my old age. I am still an aggressive rider and thus do not really want to go to the Domane with it's more relaxed geometry. I am wrestling with the same issue you had earlier - or in another thread - SLR or SL (as well as rim vs. disc)? Is the SLR worth ~$1500 when I ride a 19.8 pound bike now. Maybe the SL with a good build (Ultegra, carbon bars/stem and carbon wheels) would still be ~3lbs light than what I am riding now. But I only buy a new bike about every decade...... As for rim vs. disc - I have really never had many problems stopping my bike (I live in Texas, so no mountain descents are on my routes). My wheels lock up before I stop if anything. But discs seem to be the future. Anyway - enjoyed your comments and picts above but what made you finally choose the SLR over the SL?

In a nutshell, the 2018 Emonda SLR is that good, I can’t recommend anything else other than an SL. I am advised the ride quality and stiffness is the same, if a little less “sharp”. But as a guy who puts out a lot of horsepower I’m happy with that. I’ve come from a Koppenberg Domane 6 Series. While there is some more feedback at the bars, it’s not enough for me to wish I was on the Domane, and I have more steel plates in me than most (Veteran).

So if you can swallow ~350g difference in frame, and save $1500, buy an SL. I got an SLR as I had a good price and frame crash warranty on an old one (another good reason to buy Trek- no questions asked!). But if you want the last word in power transfer, and I mean it, then go SLR.

I’ve nicknamed mine “carbon doping”.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

thebubbatex

by thebubbatex

Thanks. Comes down to the wallet!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Keep in mind the SLR is not simply a lighter SL. The 2018 SLR is an all new frame while the SL is a tweak of the old Emonda SLR with OCLV 500 carbon. They don't even look the same.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

TobinHatesYou wrote:Keep in mind the SLR is not simply a lighter SL. The 2018 SLR is an all new frame while the SL is a tweak of the old Emonda SLR with OCLV 500 carbon. They don't even look the same.

You’re right, it really is next level. But if the standard SL comes close, it’ll still be great. Just not awesome! :D
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

Windstopper

by Windstopper

Thanks folks for all your inputs. I will testing a Ridley Helium SLX next week weather permitting. Spoke to a Ridley rep saying on a size medium is 750g painted.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com