Any thoughts on the 2018 Trek emonda SLR rim brake version?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Windstopper

by Windstopper

buy or dont buy?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Mine should be here today, rim brake version. It’s getting Shimano direct mount brakes as opposed to the Bontrager units, purely because I am building it myself from a frameset.

I’m told the new R8000/ R9100 direct mount brakes are very, very powerful. Coupled with a set of Fulcrum 3D brake surfaces and Campagnolo/ Fulcrum pads, I’m not expecting any braking issues.

Besides which, disc framesets and a lot of the complete bikes aren’t available until January or February.

I’ll post some pics and weight when it arrives.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

unless you plan on descending the col d'aubisque in the rain, this sounds like a very reasonable choice to me.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

fromtrektocolnago wrote:unless you plan on descending the col d'aubisque in the rain, this sounds like a very reasonable choice to me.

Let’s be frank. A lot of people who buy these bikes are timid descenders who will drag their brakes on long, steep, technical descents. Just last week I was at Phil’s Fondo and someone destroyed their Knight rim brake carbon clinchers on Deer Creek descent. Many others were stopped on the side of the road waiting for their carbon rims to cool.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

TobinHatesYou wrote:
fromtrektocolnago wrote:unless you plan on descending the col d'aubisque in the rain, this sounds like a very reasonable choice to me.

Let’s be frank. A lot of people who buy these bikes are timid descenders who will drag their brakes on long, steep, technical descents. Just last week I was at Phil’s Fondo and someone destroyed their Knight rim brake carbon clinchers on Deer Creek descent. Many others were stopped on the side of the road waiting for their carbon rims to cool.

Holy crap!

I’m a definite Clydesdale, so having some decent braking capability is important to me. It’s simply the laws of physics are against me :D. But dragging brakes, that is nuts. For a while after my last accident in February (huge descending ‘off) I’ve been very low on confidence, but then simple pre-Planning for corners means a good slow-down to negotiate the corner at a pace that my confidence allowed. I’ve never had cooked brakes even then. Now, I’m simply just looking ahead and braking accordingly on twisty roads. Still, no roasted brakes.

But I’ve smelt carbon rims (on other people’s bikes) on a big ‘Fondo in the past. Not good at all.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

TobinHatesYou wrote:

i'm a timid descender, but i have metal brake tracks, which i thought was the question
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

keith

by keith

My SLR 8 with disks is great, for riding in the rain. Total weight, with pump, etc is around 7kg...
Attachments
1.jpg
Riding my road bikes around Eryri

http://www.strava.com/athletes/keith_robertson" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Over the weekend I got an extended test ride on a Domane SL disc 105, and then I rode the same course an Emonda SL rim brake Ultegra test ride. After that I rode my current bike around the same course.

The Emonda is light but what was most impressive was the power transfer. Very stiff and sprightly. I found the bontrager rim brakes on the Emonda to be unimpressive. I liked the power and modulation of the 105 discs the best, followed by the modulation and feel on my current set up (DA 7800 brakes with cork pads on carbon rims), with the bontrager’s on the Emonda the worst of the bunch.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

SilentDrone wrote:Over the weekend I got an extended test ride on a Domane SL disc 105, and then I rode the same course an Emonda SL rim brake Ultegra test ride. After that I rode my current bike around the same course.

The Emonda is light but what was most impressive was the power transfer. Very stiff and sprightly. I found the bontrager rim brakes on the Emonda to be unimpressive. I liked the power and modulation of the 105 discs the best, followed by the modulation and feel on my current set up (DA 7800 brakes with cork pads on carbon rims), with the bontrager’s on the Emonda the worst of the bunch.

Apparently the new, high end Bontrager caliper are much better than the older ones or still specced on lower end 2018 bikes. but there’s no getting past the Shimano actuation ratio, and unless brakes are designed specifically for them (Shimano calipers) then you’re screwed. This is also why Campag Mechanical levers are the best for cable disc brakes.

I’m not sure what year model you rode or what Ultegra group but on the Shimano 8000/9100 the braking ratio has changed and it’s more direct. I’ve ordered an R8050 group with direct mount 8000 calipers. I know they’ll be perfect. (Can’t justify DA9150 on this one, I can lose 10kg off me first, for identical shift qualities!...)
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

jimmerjohn123

by jimmerjohn123

SilentDrone wrote:Over the weekend I got an extended test ride on a Domane SL disc 105, and then I rode the same course an Emonda SL rim brake Ultegra test ride. After that I rode my current bike around the same course.

Will you be buying either after your test rides? Was the Domane actually more comfortable? Or in another question, is it worth the weight penalty?

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

jimmerjohn123 wrote:

Will you be buying either after your test rides? Was the Domane actually more comfortable? Or in another question, is it worth the weight penalty?

Will I be buying one?

I'm still considering what to do. I'm on an old USPS Trek with DA 7800 and carbon clinchers. I've gotten my money's worth from this old bike, and then some, and I still really like it, so I am taking my time to decide. I like the idea of staying with Trek, but haven't decided whether to go with the Emonda SLR or the Domane SLR. Either way I think I'll do a Project One with mechanical Dura Ace 9100.

I really like the light weight and the "traditional" style of the Emonda. And I was very impressed with the stiffness and power transfer. It was pretty remarkable, really. Much better than my current ride. Being honest with myself, however, the Domane with its relaxed geometry and smooth ISO Speed is probably a better choice for me for a bike that I plan to keep for many years. I'm not a racer; I enjoy long rides and I do get beat up a little by my current bike. And I'm not getting any younger. But there's something strangely off-putting to me about those ISO Speed decouplers.

Was the Domane actually more comfortable?

Yes. It was noticeably more comfortable. Very smooth. Very little road buzz compared to the Emonda. The Emonda has nice vertical compliance at the seatpost, but it transmitted the details of every road imperfection through the bars. I wonder how much of that could be mitigated by using 28mm tires? My current bike was smoother than the Emonda!

Is it worth the weight penalty?

That's the question. I'm not sure. The shop weighed a 2018 Domane SL 8 (not the one I rode) and it came in at 18.28 lbs (size 58cm, no pedals). That's a $5,000 bike with Dura Ace build at 18+ lbs! We also weighed my 2003 USPS Trek and it came in at 17.17 lbs (62 cm, without pedals). Unfortunately we didn't weigh the 2018 Emonda SL 6 that I test rode, but it was noticeably less then than my bike.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

SilentDrone wrote:
jimmerjohn123 wrote:

Will I be buying one?

I'm still considering what to do. I'm on an old USPS Trek with DA 7800 and carbon clinchers. I've gotten my money's worth from this old bike, and then some, and I still really like it, so I am taking my time to decide. I like the idea of staying with Trek, but haven't decided whether to go with the Emonda SLR or the Domane SLR. Either way I think I'll do a Project One with mechanical Dura Ace 9100.

I really like the light weight and the "traditional" style of the Emonda. And I was very impressed with the stiffness and power transfer. It was pretty remarkable, really. Much better than my current ride. Being honest with myself, however, the Domane with its relaxed geometry and smooth ISO Speed is probably a better choice for me for a bike that I plan to keep for many years. I'm not a racer; I enjoy long rides and I do get beat up a little by my current bike. And I'm not getting any younger. But there's something strangely off-putting to me about those ISO Speed decouplers.

Was the Domane actually more comfortable?

Yes. It was noticeably more comfortable. Very smooth. Very little road buzz compared to the Emonda. The Emonda has nice vertical compliance at the seatpost, but it transmitted the details of every road imperfection through the bars. I wonder how much of that could be mitigated by using 28mm tires? My current bike was smoother than the Emonda!

Is it worth the weight penalty?

That's the question. I'm not sure. The shop weighed a 2018 Domane SL 8 (not the one I rode) and it came in at 18.28 lbs (size 58cm, no pedals). That's a $5,000 bike with Dura Ace build at 18+ lbs! We also weighed my 2003 USPS Trek and it came in at 17.17 lbs (62 cm, without pedals). Unfortunately we didn't weigh the 2018 Emonda SL 6 that I test rode, but it was noticeably less then than my bike.

An interesting discussion.

I’m going from a Domane 6 Series, (P1) to an Emonda SLR. I rode a few rocket ships and then discovered how much I was giving away with the Domane, after riding one exclusively for 3years. And that’s a 6-Series. At >90rpm cadence it bobs, and when climbing even my steel Merckx feels like it climbs better.

Got the 2018 SLR Emonda frameset today.

Frame weighs 680g with chain keeper and cable pull-throughs from the factory installed. Looks sensational, and totally different from the old Emonda. Will build it as soon as some bits arrive from Shimano.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

eric01

by eric01

Wow nice to see trek delivering on advertised weight. Compare it the thread on the new specialized tarmac where they are coming in well overweight.
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

eric01 wrote:Wow nice to see trek delivering on advertised weight. Compare it the thread on the new specialized tarmac where they are coming in well overweight.

My riding buddies and I are running a book, but even with Ultegra 8050 and an alloy cockpit this one’s going to struggle with the UCI limit.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

darnellrm

by darnellrm

[quote="running a book, [/quote] ???

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com