New Chorus RD....bent??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

thanks guys. Will do on the jockey wheels.

I'm ordering in a Lezyne Drive Chain 11spd tool....basically for campy chains.
I'll see if I can get hold of a spare link and pins.

I'll go over the whole installation again when I get time BUT I did go for an hour ride today.....totally smooth from the RD....from my limited experience.

Campy is very different from Shimano.....very 'clunky' sound when shifting but the multiple shifts are very very nice.
When the chain is at its most efficient positions....around the 5th to 7th cogs....its super smooth and silent, I try never to really cross chains.

50-12 is way more than enough for me....only used it on descents
34-29 is a nice 'get out' cog for me.

The only annoyance I have with this new Chorus is actually the FD now. Shifting into small ring is easy, super smooth 100% of the time. The trim function if thats what its called is nice.
Shifting into the Big ring is a hit and miss.....grinds a lot....but I assume thats just due to the tension in the cable. Don't have time to deal with it atm but will do before the next ride, and yes, I will RTFM haha and not youtube it.

Another problem is the thumb levers when on the drops, my handlebar sucks. I just can't reach them comfortably, thumb is strained every time.
I can't for the life of me get the same measurements as Bianchi's website for the 42cm size bar....its states 126mm drop and 77.4mm reach.....
My own measurement centre to centre...Width=42cm Reach=90mm Drop=140
Stem is 100mm.

Deda Zero100, Ritchey WCS Logic? any other suggestions I should look into?
Last edited by Boshk on Tue Oct 10, 2017 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.

AJS914

by AJS914

I'm glad you got the rear sorted out.

I also bought that Lezyne chain tool because they claimed Campagnolo support. It left a kink the chain when I shortened it. The peening for the Campagnolo link worked ok. I thought maybe I did it wrong. They don't have a manual or any usage info on their web site so I wrote customer service. No response.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Boshk

by Boshk

AJS914 wrote:I'm glad you got the rear sorted out.

I also bought that Lezyne chain tool because they claimed Campagnolo support. It left a kink the chain when I shortened it. The peening for the Campagnolo link worked ok. I thought maybe I did it wrong. They don't have a manual or any usage info on their web site so I wrote customer service. No response.

Are you still using it?

The price difference between the Lezyne and Camp is huge.

dj97223

by dj97223

The Pedro's tool works all Campag chains and is much less than the Campag tool.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Speaking of chain tools, I cheaped and got a Topeak "all chains" tool. Pretty bad, the pin rattles and I was pretty sure I had botched the peening. Seems to hold so far but I really wish I got a better tool.

As for the FD, it has been very tricky for me too. It was working OK on the road, but on the stand a lot of grinding while half engaged over the big ring, and most of the times it would fall back and even off completely. On the road I could keep the lever pressure high for a second and it would shift OK. All this in the big cogs - worked better/easier in the middle of the cassette. Still, very disappointing considering my wife's Tiagra lifts from small to big effortlessly on the stand.

I found out I had the Campy inline adjuster all wrong. It has to be knurled part down (towards frame not bars) and with a metal ferrule at the knurled end. The bad install made a mess of the housing end, it is amazing it could work at all. After I fixed this it got a lot lot better. Another useful change was to add a washer at the anchor bolt to reduce friction between cable and outer pivot. Campy washer is pricey for what it is and out of stock in most places so I ended up making one myself.
Attachments
washer.jpg

wilwil

by wilwil

If the chain was shorter it would probably rub on the jockey cage in 34/12

AJS914

by AJS914

Are you still using it?

I still have it. I'm going to be ready this winter for a new chain so I'm still deciding what to do. I'll probably try it again and be more careful when breaking the chain.

Boshk

by Boshk

dj97223 wrote:The Pedro's tool works all Campag chains and is much less than the Campag tool.

Thanks!

Looks like the Pedros Pro Chain Tool 2.0 NEW version is campy compatible....at $75
The original Pro Chain Tool 2.0 may not be??

They also have a Tutto Model....which is just below the Camp Tool price

wilwil

by wilwil

The FD needs quite a bite of cable tension. It also needs to be in exactly the right position. It may not be possible to have the chain on the big ring and the big cog without rubbing on the inner plate of the FD. Its better to sacrifice that to achieve good shifting.

dj97223

by dj97223

Boshk wrote:
dj97223 wrote:The Pedro's tool works all Campag chains and is much less than the Campag tool.

Thanks!

Looks like the Pedros Pro Chain Tool 2.0 NEW version is campy compatible....at $75
The original Pro Chain Tool 2.0 may not be??

They also have a Tutto Model....which is just below the Camp Tool price

I have the Tutto; it works with 10 and 11 speed (also 9, I believe) I have both 10 and 11 speed bikes, so I need that flexibility. When I bought it, it was substantially cheaper than the Campag tool. A quick online shop shows is is still about $100 less.
“If you save your breath I feel a man like you can manage it. And if you don't manage it, you'll die. Only slowly, very slowly, old friend.”

glepore

by glepore

If a shop sent you the bike like that, find another shop. The new Campy fd's are fiddly to set up right-Calnago here can vouch for this. A good shop would have checked the hanger, chainlength, b pivot. Lots wrong here. Excusable for a diy mechanic, not a shop.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

glepore wrote:If a shop sent you the bike like that, find another shop. The new Campy fd's are fiddly to set up right-Calnago here can vouch for this. A good shop would have checked the hanger, chainlength, b pivot. Lots wrong here. Excusable for a diy mechanic, not a shop.

I agree, and asked the question in my first post here.
Has this shop ever worked on Campy equipment?

If a shop sent it out like that they did an extremely poor job.

While not wanting to start the link vs. pin debate all over again, I have to say that in a case like this when chain length is critical, it's much easier to use a link and work down in length if necessary. It's better to shorten a chain than lengthen it.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

Boshk

by Boshk

bikerjulio wrote:
glepore wrote:If a shop sent you the bike like that, find another shop. The new Campy fd's are fiddly to set up right-Calnago here can vouch for this. A good shop would have checked the hanger, chainlength, b pivot. Lots wrong here. Excusable for a diy mechanic, not a shop.

I agree, and asked the question in my first post here.
Has this shop ever worked on Campy equipment?

If a shop sent it out like that they did an extremely poor job.

While not wanting to start the link vs. pin debate all over again, I have to say that in a case like this when chain length is critical, it's much easier to use a link and work down in length if necessary. It's better to shorten a chain than lengthen it.

I assumed they have experience with Campagnolo because they do sell the whole range. As to whether they actually have an official campy qualification is another matter.
Even from the Campagnolo website, it only states Iron Ore Company as the Service Center in Hong Kong. They are just an importer/distributer. Its a bit weird how things are done here. You guys have Campy Code shops, Pro Shops where they are licences.

Anyway, so I said, I'll recheck the FD and chain again. I could just buy a Record chain and replace my Chorus since most say the Record is better. I just need to get a campy specific chain tool, either Pedros or Lezyne.