Saddle height and agility

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dedobike

by dedobike

How does saddle height affect agility? a lower saddle means more agility or is it exactly the opposite?

With these measures, saddle height should have (roughly)
h 176cm
inseam 82.8cm
foot 45 (eu) 28.7cm

Saddle height
73cm, 73.5cm or 74cm or ?

Tanks

wingguy

by wingguy

Agility like cornering? Then yeah, a lower saddle means more agility. But you 100% should not set your saddle height based on that.

Further, no-one can tell you what your saddle height should be to that degree of accuracy based only on an inseam measurement. You can get to a cm or so ballpark from it but beyond that it's about shoes, pedals, cleat position, and most importantly you in motion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matt28NJ

by Matt28NJ

Define agility.

dedobike

by dedobike

Matt28NJ wrote:Define agility.

make a bike ride with a rpm range between 80 and 90, now with 73 cm saddle height it seems to be too low and uphill I struggle to get agility

wingguy

by wingguy

What made you set it at 73cm to begin with? If you think it's too low, try it higher or get someone to look at it.

If it feels too low, it's probably too low, especially if you're getting a concentrated burn on the quads. But no-one can accurately tell you how high it should be without seeing it.

dedobike

by dedobike

wingguy wrote:What made you set it at 73cm to begin with? If you think it's too low, try it higher or get someone to look at it.

If it feels too low, it's probably too low, especially if you're getting a concentrated burn on the quads. But no-one can accurately tell you how high it should be without seeing it.
The 73 cm saddle height was set during a biomechanical visit but another visit made me saddle at 74.2 so I'm undecided. The length of the feet is higher than average so I would think I would be closer to 74 cm rather than to 73

Inviato dal mio Redmi 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Saddle height has nothing to do with “agility.” Something may be lost in translation. Higher saddles tend to also be pushed forward a bit. Your quads will be worked more. A lower saddle will work your glutes more. A lot of people overwork their quads and suffer from muscle fatigue that is mistaken for knee pain, so I always prefer people ride with too low of a saddle than too high.

wingguy

by wingguy

dedobike wrote:The 73 cm saddle height was set during a biomechanical visit but another visit made me saddle at 74.2 so I'm undecided. The length of the feet is higher than average so I would think I would be closer to 74 cm rather than to 73

Which one is better to ride?

3Pio

by 3Pio

dedobike wrote:
wingguy wrote:What made you set it at 73cm to begin with? If you think it's too low, try it higher or get someone to look at it.

The 73 cm saddle height was set during a biomechanical visit but another visit made me saddle at 74.2 so I'm undecided. The length of the feet is higher than average so I would think I would be closer to 74 cm rather than to 73

Inviato dal mio Redmi 4 utilizzando Tapatalk

Im 175cm, 82-82.5 insea, 43 foot (27.5-28.0) and my saddle is set on 72.7 cm with 52mm setback if this help u.

Im sure 73 cm and 74.2 setting was adjusted with different setback. Try both settings for a while, including longer rides, so u;ll realize which one feel better..

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I'm 178cm with a 81.8cm inseam and my saddle height is 71.7cm with 8.9cm of setback.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

I'm 170cm tall, 80cm inseam, 70cm saddle height and 5.5cm setback.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wingguy

by wingguy

TobinHatesYou wrote:I'm 178cm with a 81.8cm inseam and my saddle height is 71.7cm with 8.9cm of setback.

That's fairly unusual. Very difficult to achieve on most bikes (assuming a relatively normal length saddle), to be honest!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

wingguy wrote:
TobinHatesYou wrote:I'm 178cm with a 81.8cm inseam and my saddle height is 71.7cm with 8.9cm of setback.

That's fairly unusual. Very difficult to achieve on most bikes (assuming a relatively normal length saddle), to be honest!

Saddle's an S-Works Romin Evo, so it's 26cm. I think most saddles are around 27.5cm or so?
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Mon Oct 09, 2017 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

dedobike

by dedobike

TobinHatesYou wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Saddle's and S-Works Romin Evo, so it's 26cm. I think most saddles are around 27.5cm or so?

In order to compare saddle backwardness as a reference point, it is not necessary to take the tip of the saddle (each saddle has a different length) but its anatomical center is located where the saddle surface is wide 7.2cm. Qunindi saddle saddle by convention is the distance between the center movement (c / c) and the anatomical saddle center

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

3Pio

by 3Pio

TobinHatesYou wrote:
wingguy wrote:

Saddle's and S-Works Romin Evo, so it's 26cm. I think most saddles are around 27.5cm or so?

I have also Romin Evo Pro but old model (2014) (on the other bike which i dont ride it at all since i bought C60, but this season will be my Winter Bike, so today probably i'll check the position i need there). It's 27 cm long.

And also look to me like too much setback in ur position. But maybe ur femurs are very long, or it's compatibile with ur anatomy. Saddle setback/height is not always the same for everyone having same inseam.

Before i done Rettul fitting, i was using lower saddle position with more setback. After Rettul fitter put me with less setback and saddle higher.. Much more comofortable, much more power on climbs and sprints, and much more effective...But again.. It's personal thing..