Maintenance of Campa SR bottom bracket/ bearings on Colnago C60

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TonyM

by TonyM

Hi,

After almost 20tkm without any maintenance (and no problem and no creaking), I would like to do the maintenance of my bottom bracket in my C60 (2015). I have in my C60 a Campa Super Record bottom bracket/ crankset (2015).

I will also most probably replace the bearings.
Which type of bearings do I need? Are these one the right bearings I need?
http://www.wiggle.com/campagnolo-super- ... ings-cult/

What kind of BB standard do I have in the C60? OS Fit 86.5x41?

Do I have to do also a maintenance of the cups (I don't have any creaking)?

Is there anything to watch out?

tommasini

by tommasini

If you dont have any suspect issues with the bearings and other I’d suggest A simple cleaning of the bearings, oil the balls, grease lining on the bearing outer/cup seat area and put it all back for another excellent 20,000 kms. Clean the bearings right on the crank axle using mineral spirits and then air dry or use a blast of compressed air.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

hambini

by hambini

I think you have an 86.5mm x 41mm BB86 bottom bracket.

If you remove the bottom bracket bearings for any reason, you must replace them.

Filling them with grease and putting them back will cause brinelling of the bearings.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

bikerjulio

by bikerjulio

hambini wrote:I think you have an 86.5mm x 41mm BB86 bottom bracket.

If you remove the bottom bracket bearings for any reason, you must replace them.

Filling them with grease and putting them back will cause brinelling of the bearings.

Hambini

OP has Campy UT cranks, so exactly none of this advice is relevant.

@tomassini has decent advice. Remove the cranks and you'll be able to feel the bearings and assess them better. If things are smooth and creak-free I wouldn't do anything other than a cleaning, lube and reinstall.

If the bearings need to be replaced you need the specific bearing puller and installation tool set. And don't forget to remove the bearing retaining circlip on the DS spindle. With the right tools it's a straightforward job. No need to replace cups unless there's an obvious problem.
There's sometimes a buggy.
How many drivers does a buggy have?

One.

So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

AJS914

by AJS914

I would add that I had a cult bearing that felt notchy. I thought it was a goner. All it needed was a good cleaning and lubing and it's been good for thousand of miles since. Compressed air is the way to blow out all the gunk.

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Agreed, just remove the crank, clean out the bearings with something like CleanStreak, blow with compressed air (if you don't have a compressor then one of those compressed air cans they use to clean computer motherboards etc will do just fine). Add a couple of drops of synthetic oil and reinstall in the greased cups. I wouldn't replace the cups unless you notice the anodization wearing off. And unless you have issues with bearings after cleaning I wouldn't replace them either. The Campy SR CULT bearings and their treated races are extremely long lasting. Also, lightly coat the spindle with grease just to protect it from the elements then reinsert and torque it down to 50Nm. I usually use just a little Loctite 222 on the threads of the hirth joint bolt upon assembly.

Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

hambini

by hambini

20,000km, I would be amazed if they aren't toast. They are well past their L10 life.

Hambini
Hambini Aeronautical Engineer, Polluting YouTube since 2016 - views expressed are my own...

Attermann

by Attermann

No? People have been running cult bearings for more than 80.000 km and they where still fine.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Cult bearing are ceramic hambini with hardened stainless steel races. These are the only ceramic hybrid bearings that actually work well and do steller mileage. As above remove the cranks remove the seals clean and re lube with oil.

hambini

by hambini

I have used these "Cult" (it's a brand name of FAG Cronitect) in a professional aerospace capacity and found the life to be only marginally better than chrome steel. As soon as dirt gets in there, it takes the steel race out.

c60rider

by c60rider

I have a 2009 super record chainset with 40,000 miles on it and I never removed it from the bike until earlier this year. This bike has gone through all weathers. Cleaned and I've never felt bearings so slick as these. I have a record 2011 chainset I've used exclusively on a winter bike and again these bearings remain like new after they were cleaned up.

3Pio

by 3Pio

hambini wrote:20,000km, I would be amazed if they aren't toast. They are well past their L10 life.

Hambini

I have Campagnolo Record Crankset, so not having the CULT Bearings.. After more then 10000 km on them, i thought they are ready for replacement, until i discovered that they are very smooth, and the roughness i feel was because UT cup was scratched.. Im sure bearings in my crankset will last at least another 20000 km, so CULT life i guess is even more....

TonyM

by TonyM

So the first part of the maintenance is done as I took out the crankset, cleaned everything and checked the bearings etc...

Both bearings look very fine :thumbup: and only one was "less" smooth so that I should give a drop of a very thin oil as I understand from Campagnolo for their CULT bearings.

The cups seems ok also.
But should I grease the inside of the cups before I reinstall the crankset? Or should I leave the inside of the cups without any grease?

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Definitley grease the inside of the cups, regardless of which bearings you use. The Cult bearings really only require a couple drops of oil in the balls themselves but the outer race that sits in the cups should have a film of grease. When all installed, you should be able to push laterally on the nds crank and see about 0.2mm of lateral movement. That's the distance between the outer edge of the drive side bearing and the C-clip edge. The wavy washer on the NDS plus the fact that there is very little "lateral" force on the cranks (providing the cups and bearings are in good shape) means that that in practical use this lateral play is essentially non-existent.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com