2018 Trek EMONDA SLR?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Windstopper

by Windstopper

What do you think about the new 2018 Emonda SLR. Will it be still enough despite its weight. The previous version they say its a bit soft and harsh.

2018more affordable now. Which is very tempting. compare to a new tarmac.

Current bike is 2015 S works tarmac which is otherworldly stiff.

I am 77 kg and rides on not so good roads. my other shortlist are Canyon Ultimate slx and Giant TCR.

Im leaning as of now on the Trek for its an update of the previous version.

Any inputs welcome and appreciated.

Thanks
Last edited by Windstopper on Sat Oct 07, 2017 11:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

I'm also interested in feedback on the new SLR. There are lots of professional reviews out there, but very little feedback from forum members who own this bike. I think maybe there aren't too many on this board who own one.

I like the new Emonda SLR and am considering one but I haven't ridden it yet.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Windstopper

by Windstopper

SilentDrone wrote:I'm also interested in feedback on the new SLR. There are lots of professional reviews out there, but very little feedback from forum members who own this bike. I think maybe there aren't too many on this board who own one.

I like the new Emonda SLR and am considering one but I haven't ridden it yet.

Yeah me too the price has gone down. The previous version they said is a bit flimsy. I dont have money to spend on new tarmac.

I am waiting for what this forum says.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Geordiepaul

by Geordiepaul

I have one in Project One format bought as a frame only. Fitted with eTap, Zipp 303 NSW, Enve bar and stem (soon to be bonty xxx integrated) in size 58cm. I had a Bianchi Infinito CV prior to this and I also have a Domane SLR.

Compared to the Infinito (which is supposed to be a comfy bike to ride) it's as comfortable if not more so and it's much lighter to boot. It's not as compliant as the domane but then sometimes that can feel slightly lazy, this feels the exact opposite. In H2 format it's still pretty aggressive with a much steeper head angle than I'm used so it's a pretty fast handling bike. It does feel very sprightly on the climbs but then it should it weighs a smidge over 6kg.

It's a lovely frame and I'm very happy with it.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Look up the posts about mine. I chose the Emonda SLR over the BMC Teammachine SLR01 because it was cheaper, lighter, available first, etc. Now after having test ridden a Teammachine, I would make the same decision all over again. The Emonda is way more fun to ride.

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm thinking about getting a project one SLR in 62cm H2 geo. I wish I could find one to test ride. The local trek shop did have a top of the line project one in 62 cm h2 come trough not long ago. It looked great. I do prefer the looks of the H1 with the way it is proportional around the headtube, but I have to be honest about what will fit me the best and the 62cm H2 Emonda is about perfect.

I'm coming from an older OCLV postal series bike which is rock solid with zero compliance, so I think whatever fine tuning of compliance is found on this will be a welcome improvement.

Anyway, that's all a bunch of educated guessing because I can't find one to ride, so your comments and observations are greatly appreciated!

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Price went down because manufacturing for the SLR moved to Taiwan. The ride quality should be the same as the layup process has been a few years in the making. Anyone looking to save weight should go with Project One and get the vapor coat or if there’s a model available without going P1 but has the same coating, this is going to be the one to choose. The SLR frameset with the black and viper red paint is not what they used for the frame weights advertised, it’s heavier due to the paint.

Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

izza

by izza

In UK, Trek HQ hold demo fleet of extra large and extra small sizes. They don’t expect outlets to invest in these sizes as small percentage of overall sales.

Trek dealers are able to get one in for people like you to try.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

Well I’ve got one coming, it’ll be Ultegra 8050 and Quattro carbons (I already have). Clydesdale build, hence the not-so-weight-weenie finishing kit.

I’ll do a full weight analysis here when it comes in. I can tell you that Project One paint adds 230g, from previous experience. This one is standard paint.
BandiCoote

Eddy Merckx Roubaix70 custom build
Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

SilentDrone

by SilentDrone

ClydesdaleChris wrote:Well I’ve got one coming, it’ll be Ultegra 8050 and Quattro carbons (I already have). Clydesdale build, hence the not-so-weight-weenie finishing kit.

I’ll do a full weight analysis here when it comes in. I can tell you that Project One paint adds 230g, from previous experience. This one is standard paint.

I'm looking forward to seeing your build report. And pics!

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

It doesn’t add that much weight really. My Project One came out 95g over advertised at 760g.

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

TobinHatesYou wrote:It doesn’t add that much weight really. My Project One came out 95g over advertised at 760g.

Cool. My P1 was a Domane, and that’s what it worked out for me, over claimed.

But I got flames. And stuff. :D
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Maybe the flames and leopard add a ton of weight because of the fades and detail when compared to decals and standard masks,

ClydesdaleChris

by ClydesdaleChris

TobinHatesYou wrote:Maybe the flames and leopard add a ton of weight because of the fades and detail when compared to decals and standard masks,

Possibly. The flame job was hellishly thick. Not that I was concerned. Just an observation. I’m keen to see what the production, off the shelf Emonda SLR frameset (same as the SLR9) weighs. It’ll be H2 56cm.
BandiCoote

Trek Émonda 2018 SLR

MXGimp

by MXGimp

I don't think you can go wrong with the Emonda SLR. Super light, stiff enough and top notch warranty and customer service.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com