Which (disc) bike would you choose?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kampiakseli

by kampiakseli

All of them look good enough. I would take close look, wich one takes biggest tyres. Thats big bonus if you can run 30mm tyres or even bigger...
If there is no difference, the weight offcource. This is ww.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

30mmm on an aero road bike. Why?

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

kgt wrote:30mmm on an aero road bike. Why?
Training wheels with meatier rubber for winter kms?
Using Tapatalk

Delorre

by Delorre

kgt wrote:30mmm on an aero road bike. Why?

Cobble gran fondo's in spring are much nicer on 30mm tyres :wink: Or you can do a couple (light) gravel rides if you want. Call it versatility. But I agree, no need to ride on 30 mm's whole yrear around!

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

53x12 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:Why did you pick these 3 only?

Why does it matter? The OP narrowed it down to these three. Whether it is because these are the three brands his favorite shop carries. Or these are the three he can get the best deal on. Or maybe he just likes these three the best. Why does it matter and how does that change the forum giving him advice? Guess what, it doesn't. Him picking these three is immaterial to him asking for advice between these three.

Why does it matter why i ask? Nothing to get all worked up for is it?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

jever98

by jever98

@TonyM: have you compared how the three would fit you? To me that's the first exclusion criterion. No point having a nice looking bike that just doesn't work for you in terms of geometry. Personally, I would like the bike to fit me perfectly with a stem length of 110-120mm and few spacers.

Second consideration for me would be the internal cabling: it looks super cool, but if you plan to ever travel with the bike I would stay away from it, as I believe it's very difficult to remove the handlebars in this case to put it in a box.

All those aside, I would take the Willier, because Scott and BMC are particularly awful at marketing lies, IMHO (flame away, those who disagree :-)),
----
No longer in the industry

TonyM

by TonyM

Thanks for all feedback!

To the questions:
- Disc brake: I only take the disc version because I will use this bike also when it is raining. So it is a "safety" reason.
- Geometry: they all 3 have a good geometry for me (also compared to my C60)
- Top3 with these bikes just mean that these were the 3 with the best value for me (quality, look, etc...).

After "thinking" again, my "ideal" bike would be the BMC Teammachine with more aero properties (aero because my rides are always alone with 120-160km and only 1000 to 1700 m elevation; And also because I would like to have something different to my C60 which is excellent but which is more a classic bike; And not 100% aero as I don't race TT or Triathlons).

Now I am thinking about the Pinarello F10 disc. It has all properties that I am looking for as an all round bike with aero properties 8) but unfortunately the Pinarello is quite "mainstream" (compared to the BMC or the Wilier) [emoji20]

What do you think? Which one would you choose: BMC Roadmachine and not aero or F10 and aero (but how much more aero compared to the BMC Teamxmachine??)?

(here the rim version of the Pinarello F10 in Magma red)

jlok

by jlok

I'd vote for BMC. Almost no exposed cable makes the look very clean. BMC red is very nice. Too bad it seems incompatible to eTap HRD.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

kkibbler

by kkibbler

jlok wrote:I'd vote for BMC. Almost no exposed cable makes the look very clean. BMC red is very nice. Too bad it seems incompatible to eTap HRD.

wait what why?

jekyll man

by jekyll man

kkibbler wrote:
jlok wrote:I'd vote for BMC. Almost no exposed cable makes the look very clean. BMC red is very nice. Too bad it seems incompatible to eTap HRD.

wait what why?

Direct mount rear hanger?
Official cafe stop tester

Delorre

by Delorre

Keep in mind that F10 and BMC are limited to real 28mm tyres. The bmc I saw at my lbs had 25mm Vittoria corsa's, and clearance at the rear stay was only a few mm. Same with F10, clearance at the chainstay is fairly limited. But if you have to choose, I would go F10 disc. A little heavier, a less compliant, but potentially more speed and (for me) better looking!

jlok

by jlok

Yeah I suspect the direct mount RD hanger is incompatible with SRAM RD. Also, the SRAM brake caliper banjo bolt style cable port may cause problem when the ports on the fork and chainstay are expecting Shimano style caliper brake hose direction.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

With these latest generations of aero bikes, many look so close to each other.
I would also ask myself, now that UCI scrapped the 3:1 rule, what can you expect from next generation of aero bikes!?
Is it really the time to plunge big bucks in a bike like F10 disc at this moment?

If that is not of any concern, i would look at tire clearance to.
You mentioned you'd want this bike for rain etc?
Then i guess you'd also concern riding with larger tires?

When rims have steadily increased in width, a 25mm tire most likely will swell out to 26-28mm on the latest rims.
Maybe a 28mm tire will hit a true width of 30mm.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com