Settling for less than the range-topping frame. Should I do it?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Kaboom

by Kaboom

bremerradkurier wrote:For the price difference, you can spend a week in sunny Southern Europe during the winter with your cheaper frame and easily knock off 200 grams of body weight.

I'm Spanish, and currently living in Mallorca! This has been my last season here though since i'll be moving back to my hometown in a couple of weeks. Madrid winters are definately a bit harsher than Majorca's, but it sure as heck ain't Finland, Scotland or Germany!

But the 1000€ difference could certainly pay for an awesome spring/summer trip to the Alps or the Dolomites instead!

hannawald

by hannawald

I am the one who spends money on something reasonable and then regrets, sell and buy something reasonable again..because going full italian (Bianchi - Campa) is pretty costly:) But in the end I have already spent more money on the way towards my heart choice...well, at least it is an amusing way of permanent upgrading... but in terms of money i must confess i am crazy, i really don´t need it.

by Weenie

Leviathan

by Leviathan

Im also living in Mallorca for the last 15 years. Let me know the experience of the bike, im interested in them as well since my Pinarello got stolen in Sta Maria :( . Did you know Fuji has an agent here, the bike shop in Sineu just after the train track heading up to the windmill restaurant. But also dont forget many bike rental places are now selling ex rental bikes, inc BMCs, Trek (Tramuntana) and, possibly Pinarello...Bikehead had some nice Cannondale EVOs Di2s for sale for under two grand but I dont know if they have any left.

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

it will make ZERO difference

themidge

by themidge

Kaboom wrote:but it sure as heck ain't Finland, Scotland or Germany!

Eh, Scotland isn't so bad if you have mudguards :D although I bet you don't get black ice in Spain :scared:

kode54

by kode54

uraqt wrote:Stay with the frame you love, and upgrade the stuff on it. If it's true love then nothing is going to be the same...

C

yup. because if you don't get the frame you love...you'll always lust for it. like @kgt says...get a used one for up to 1/2 off and you'll be happy with that. be more speedy on the parts when you build it.
you'll like it even more.
- AX Lightness Vial EVO D + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee Altum + DA9150 + Enve SES 4.5 carbon hubs
- Parlee ESX + DA9150 + THM SRM PM + Enve SES 6.7 CK hubs
- Guru Praemio R Titanium + DA9150 + Enve 3.4 CK hubs

TonyM

by TonyM

If you have enough money for it (and a crash replacement as you will be racing) and you really badly want it - then buy it!

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

waltthizzney wrote:it will make ZERO difference

I don't think I can agree with this in all circumstances. Some brands offer quite a different lay-up schedule and mix of fibers between low-mid and top end frames.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

morrisond wrote:
The moral of the story is - If you a want stiff frame for climbing - the heavier one might actually be stiffer and it will feel better on the climb and I would guess would be no slower as less energy is lost - but I've never seen a test like that.

Cyclingtips had a podcast around this - using steel frames with different tubing - and they did not find the 'stiffer' bike was better on the climbs. And there is seemingly something to the theory of energy return in a bike that has some flex.

Just FYI

morrisond

by morrisond

Yes I saw that one. My main point was that the Stiffer one would "Feel better". It would be slightly heavier but probably almost 0 difference in time.

Kaboom

by Kaboom

Leviathan wrote:Im also living in Mallorca for the last 15 years. Let me know the experience of the bike, im interested in them as well since my Pinarello got stolen in Sta Maria :( . Did you know Fuji has an agent here, the bike shop in Sineu just after the train track heading up to the windmill restaurant. But also dont forget many bike rental places are now selling ex rental bikes, inc BMCs, Trek (Tramuntana) and, possibly Pinarello...Bikehead had some nice Cannondale EVOs Di2s for sale for under two grand but I dont know if they have any left.

It sucks that your bike got stolen! Whenever I see just MASSES of bikes piled up outside Cafés all around the island I always wonder if a few of them don't get stolen every week. Well now I don't have to wonder anymore...

I'll drop by the shop you told me and see if I can test ride a Fuji. It'd be nice not buying a frame blind! I've also considered the second-hand-rental route but they only sell complete bikes and I really only want the frame. I definitely do not want the hassle of buying a complete bike and then having to part out everything but the frame...

Kaboom

by Kaboom

themidge wrote:
Kaboom wrote:but it sure as heck ain't Finland, Scotland or Germany!

Eh, Scotland isn't so bad if you have mudguards :D although I bet you don't get black ice in Spain :scared:

I'm a wimp, anything below 15 or 16ºC means it's Zwift time for me unless it's a group ride... But at least in southern half of the country there's no black ice to be found anywhere!

Svetty

by Svetty

@ OP
Head says buy the Fuji but I'm a bit concerned that it has both external cabling and a sloping top tube. Neither of these are ideal according to your first posting. The SS Evo does tick all of your boxes and the non-Hi-Mod frame won't cost you the earth.

djgarrett21

by djgarrett21

If you want a high end frame then I say hold out for that and get the one you want, not what is cheap/convenient. Of course 200g isn't going to make much, if any difference but that's not the point. It really comes down to this - enjoyment. Performance is secondary to that.

by Weenie

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

djgarrett21 wrote:Of course 200g isn't going to make much, if any difference but that's not the point. It really comes down to this - enjoyment. Performance is secondary to that.

IMHO 200g savings on frame weight is quite a lot if you want a light build, and if it's still within your budget you should go for it. You can save weight on components thereafter (and I think most members here have a compulsive habit of upgrading components) but if you get a heavier frame you'll never save the weight there.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk