Settling for less than the range-topping frame. Should I do it?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Boshk

by Boshk

kgt wrote:IMHO this is a wise choise since you like the frame.
I have bought most of my frames used for like 1/2-1/3 of their original price. In this way I saved money for used LWs and other used hi-end parts. I could not be more happy.

could be a brilliant idea for people like us (in Asia) where demo bikes aren't available.

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Tinea Pedis wrote:
morrisond wrote:
The moral of the story is - If you a want stiff frame for climbing - the heavier one might actually be stiffer and it will feel better on the climb and I would guess would be no slower as less energy is lost - but I've never seen a test like that.

Cyclingtips had a podcast around this - using steel frames with different tubing - and they did not find the 'stiffer' bike was better on the climbs. And there is seemingly something to the theory of energy return in a bike that has some flex.

Just FYI

I was not aware of this podcast. Super interesting listen. Thanks for bringing it up :beerchug:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

lyrictenor1

by lyrictenor1

Svetty wrote:@ OP
Head says buy the Fuji but I'm a bit concerned that it has both external cabling and a sloping top tube. Neither of these are ideal according to your first posting. The SS Evo does tick all of your boxes and the non-Hi-Mod frame won't cost you the earth.

To my knowledge, the Fuji SL 2 series has internal cabling. I own a 2016, and I doubt they changed the routing.

Tinea Pedis

by Tinea Pedis

morrisond wrote:Yes I saw that one. My main point was that the Stiffer one would "Feel better". It would be slightly heavier but probably almost 0 difference in time.

Only that's the point of the pod, it didn't "feel better" for them.

Their findings are by no means scientific fact. But do throw in to question a lot of 'stiffer must be better' that company marketing departments have fed to us over recent times. Specialized making aspects of the new Tarmac less stiff notwithstanding.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

Chinese frames are not hard to find a reliable one at 850-900gr. A lot of weight is just in the paint so don't go too crazy there.

/a

rajMAN

by rajMAN

kaboom, Go for the frame you REALLY want because anything else will always come with that little nagging voice in you head that's telling you its NOT the one you REALLY wanted. I have done it in the past and wouldn't do it again. If you have ridden your CAAD for the last 3 years, then ride it another year and save up some more money. I have started a bike fund for my next purchase (OK a piggy bank), which is going to be a silly light, non aero all singing all dancing bike ( I hope). Every time I have ever settled for less I have regretted it. Other folks can live with compromise quite happily. For me bikes are my ONE hobby and passion in life so sod compromise. :D

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

rajMAN wrote:kaboom, Go for the frame you REALLY want because anything else will always come with that little nagging voice in you head that's telling you its NOT the one you REALLY wanted. I have done it in the past and wouldn't do it again. If you have ridden your CAAD for the last 3 years, then ride it another year and save up some more money. I have started a bike fund for my next purchase (OK a piggy bank), which is going to be a silly light, non aero all singing all dancing bike ( I hope). Every time I have ever settled for less I have regretted it. Other folks can live with compromise quite happily. For me bikes are my ONE hobby and passion in life so sod compromise. :D

+1
A well expressed sentiment :thumbup:
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc

waltthizzney

by waltthizzney

wheelbuilder wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:it will make ZERO difference

I don't think I can agree with this in all circumstances. Some brands offer quite a different lay-up schedule and mix of fibers between low-mid and top end frames.

It will make zero difference, you are a sucker for marketing bs. I have ridden a scott foil 40 and the higher end one and they were exactly the same, coming from someone who races cat 2.

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

waltthizzney wrote:
wheelbuilder wrote:
waltthizzney wrote:it will make ZERO difference

I don't think I can agree with this in all circumstances. Some brands offer quite a different lay-up schedule and mix of fibers between low-mid and top end frames.

It will make zero difference, you are a sucker for marketing bs. I have ridden a scott foil 40 and the higher end one and they were exactly the same, coming from someone who races cat 2.

LOL Ok man. I thought my response was pretty measured. Not sure you need to call me a sucker. I have quite a bit of experience myself, and have been in the industry for quite some time. Have a great day....... and I'm super impressed and happy for you that you are Cat2. Great job!
Never cheer before you know who is winning