Grifo valve extension advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Hi

I have just bought a pair or Challenge Grifos. The valve stems are a little too short.

I have Vittoria tubs with valve stems that can be completely removed, almost flush with the tyre. They have a little brass thread standing about 5mm proud of the base tape to which extenders can be screwed. Are Challenge made like this too?

Is it possible to unscrew existing valve stems from the Grifo tyres, screw extenders to tyres, them fit valve stems to extenders? I don't want to try and unscrew the valves if they are not removable.

Edit: can mods please move to CX forum, my bad.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TuplaO

by TuplaO

I'm not sure if I fully understand your question, but I'm going to answer anyway...

I'd be surprised if the Grifos don't have removable valve cores. (What the older Vittorias have is a completely removable valve stem, which, I believe, they don't have anymore. It's a different system...) Get a 'normal' valve extender and screw it onto the Grifo valve stem after removing the valve core. Then screw the same valve core onto the previously attached valve extender (some of us throw in some ptfe thread seal tape as well). Boom, you're done!

alanmclean

by alanmclean

Thanks very much. yes I wanted to see if I could remove the valve stems but I couldn't. so I went with your suggestion. thanks.