Help with budget sub 5k build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

martinfrias

by martinfrias

Hey guys! Checking your amazing posts i got inspired and decided to try to go for sub 5k with sub 3k budget, so would love to get a hand and will document the process, my bikes now are a Norco search al with lightbycycle rims and 105 (10kilos) and Kona Private Jake 1x with crossmax(9.8k) and im weighing myself 107kilos(i returned cycling this year and i was 120kilos, goal 80kilos).
So, the build, i was thinking going with velobuild vb-r-077 (i now its light but dont know the exact weight), do you guys recommend this frame? thinking of also getting carbon saddle and some parts from velobuild
For the wheels thinking of carbon tubulars, wich would be the best choice?
Groupset?(maybe 1x wide range cassete?)

Looking forward to the answers! greetings from Chile!

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

This might not be impossible, but I imagine 5k under $3000 will involve many compromises. Is the result going to be something you really want to ride? Personally, I think aiming for a $3000, 6-6.5kg bike that you will really enjoy riding would be a better investment.

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=145213
Last edited by whydobearsxplod on Tue Oct 03, 2017 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

NiFTY

by NiFTY

I think that the goal is likely to be unachievable. My evo has just dropped under 5kg. And to reach that the seat seatpost, stem, handlebars, wheels all have a weightlimit below your current weight. I agree i woulf aim for a balanced build that will be stiff enough and ride well.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

martinfrias

by martinfrias

Yeah you guys are probably right, so browsing for options saw a caad 12 disc and made an offer and got accepted, so ill try to build the caad12 disc at 6.8 k, wish me luck!

whydobearsxplod

by whydobearsxplod

I'm glad to have had a hand in this excellent choice. Keep us updated.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

Sram force with red crankset. Ultegra cassette with chain is a pretty good set up, light and durable.
And the price is a steal for a 4lbs for the whole set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk