Di2 chain

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I ride 3 years with ultra di2 and rotor3d+ (53-39) on my sworks tarmac and never had one problem. The last few weeks on my rides the chain sometimes jumps by itself from the big chairing to the small. Also the chain goes sometimes of the chain ring and fo on the bottom bracket. I have the chaincatcher on it that was delivered with my frame, but that doesn't help. What could be the cause of this?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

djbowen99

by djbowen99

Is it the same chain for 3 years?

Hexsense

by Hexsense

djbowen99 wrote:Is it the same chain for 3 years?

hope not. My chain stretch within 6 month. 3 years on a single chain would destroy cog, jocky wheel and chain rings already.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

My bet is its the original chain.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Timmy269

by Timmy269

it's not the same chain. I replaced the chain in last year en did 3000km with it.

JScycle

by JScycle

Have you checked it recently with a chain wear indicator?

Timmy269

by Timmy269

No, I don't have a chain wear indicator :cry:.

Could that be the problem that the chain goes from the 53 to the 39 en it sometimes drops of the crank?

Timmy269

by Timmy269

I don't think the chain, cog, jockey wheels and chainrings are worn out, what do you think?
When I replace the chain, I always replace the cog the same time.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Chain is totally worn! Take a look at the chain as it exits the top of the cassette. The chain pins no longer align with the spots between the cassette teeth. On a good chain, there is no gap..

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Yep. A cassette should last many chains. A chain checker costs dollars.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kode54

by kode54

i change my chains when the wear indicator hits .5

Park Tools puts out a chain checker for 11 spd chains that has .5 and .75 indications.
previous checker had .75 and 1.0 indications.

based on your pics...your front chain rings look totally worn to me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bilwit

by bilwit

if the chain was too worn I would expect it to jump on the cassette.. if it's jumping out of the chainrings then maybe the rings are too worn for the chain (obviously cheaper to test if the chain is worn first before getting new rings).

Timmy269

by Timmy269

bilwit wrote:if the chain was too worn I would expect it to jump on the cassette.. if it's jumping out of the chainrings then maybe the rings are too worn for the chain (obviously cheaper to test if the chain is worn first before getting new rings).

That's what I was thinking, if the chain is worn out, it wil jumps on the cassette. Do you think on the photo, the chainrins and the cassette are worn out?
I will buy a chain checker and check the chain also.

goodboyr

by goodboyr

Timmy269 wrote:
bilwit wrote:if the chain was too worn I would expect it to jump on the cassette.. if it's jumping out of the chainrings then maybe the rings are too worn for the chain (obviously cheaper to test if the chain is worn first before getting new rings).

That's what I was thinking, if the chain is worn out, it wil jumps on the cassette. Do you think on the photo, the chainrins and the cassette are worn out?
I will buy a chain checker and check the chain also.
Sorry, I disagree. It's your chain thats shot, not the rings or cassette.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

grover

by grover

I can't think of a circumstance where the chain spontaneously drops off the big chainring to the small except when the chainring is worn, the chain is sloppy side to side and you're in a gear that makes quite a chainline. Say 53-28/25/22. The big ring teeth are no longer tall enough to hold the chain on the teeth against the angle that is pulling it towards the little ring (especially happens if you do half a pedal backwards when shifting your weight cornering/descending).

I don't know your yearly mileage, conditions or maintenance but three years is a long time for a set of rings to last for anyone in my opinion. I'd replace the chainrings and the chain. Given the likely worn chain is not skipping on the cassette, I'd say the cassette is shot too. Again, three years on a cassette is a long time.

Your chains aren't lasting very long now because your putting them on worn chainrings and cassette. You get away with it a few times but now it's just not working. A new chain only will probably remedy the issue for a short period because it will be stiffer laterally. But it will wear quickly.

My vote is to replace your chainrings, chain and cassette. And given the chain has dropped onto the bottom bracket a few times it sounds like your limit screw and chain catcher position need a tweek.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com