Help me organize my stable...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mike001100

by mike001100

Hi guys,

I have a headache :( First of all, these are all first world problems, I know - and I am very grateful to be in the position I am in to afford all these bikes and enjoy them... so please bear with me...

I have the following bikes atm:
- Giant Propel 2014 on Dura Ace
- Cannondale Supersix Evo HiMod 2016 on Ultegra (after advice from forum members)
- Specalized Crux 2014 on Ultegra

I need (separately, not combined):
- a climbing bike
- an aero bike
- a race bike - don't race what you can't replace
- a wet weather (minority) and winter bike
- a bike to ride on rollers indoors during winter (any bike that is not in use outdoors during the winter will do)
(race and winter bike may be combined)

The Crux is for sale now, as I don't like the geo, it's too big for me, and I am not a fan of discs, don't ride gravel, etc etc.

I bought the SuperSix 2 months back in a sale. I am/was planning to make it my "nice day outside summer climber's bike".

The Propel, as mentioned elsewhere, was my first road bike - "getting to know things". That took some toll on the frame (scrapes from too wide tires, dings, scratches etc.). I wanted it to be my dedicated Aero bike with deep wheels, but since the geo is not right for me (compared to the Supersix...) I would rather use it as my race bike and winter bike... Given the tire clearance, the latter is not going to work (mudguards etc.), the former will, but then again, Dura is not worth wrecking...

So I think, great: I will take the Dura off the Propel and move it to the Cannondale... take the Ultegra off the Dale and move it to the Propel...

But that still doesn't sort out the winter bike dilemma... I could theoretically ride the Supersix through this winter (isn't the highmod too nice of a frame though?) and do the Dura/Ultegra swap come spring, which would mean I have:

- Propel on Ultegra as my wet weather / race bike
- Supersix on Dura Ace as my climber's bike

But come next winter, what will I do? I will be in a similar situation to now, which means I will have to get another bike (cannot ride the Propel through winter because of clearance and the SuperSix because Dura ace)... maybe its just better to get the other bike now?

And if I am to get a winter bike, what do I get?
- CAAD12 105 - for 1200ish EUR
- SuperSix Ultegra - for 1900ish EUR
- a frameset - can get a 750ish gram frameset for 1350 EUR or 900ish gram for 1000 EUR

If I do get a frameset, I can still do the move the Dura to the Dale and the Ultegra to the "winter" bike, which leaves me with a Propel frameset... It's a question if anyone will buy the Propel frameset given the scratches...

What do I do? What do I do?

Thank you.

grover

by grover

Dura-Ace to SS Evo HM.

Ultegra to Propel - sell propel.

Sell Crux.

Buy CAAD12 Ultegra as winter bike/race bike. The Ultegra has an anodised frame and better fork vs the 105 bike (at least in Australia). So lighter and harder wearing finish. Will fit 25s and fenders easily (probably 28s and fenders). Geo match for your SS Evo HM which you like.

You said you don't like discs on Crux. Are they good discs, ie full hydro setup? I'd consider the CAAD12 disc Ultegra (if discs are legal to race in your country). Get the 2018 model though with new thru axle fork (stiffer/lighter) and Ultegra 8000 series. Smaller shifter/brake hoods that are more alike to your Dura-Ace on SS Evo HM. Disc brakes for Winter are excellent if good, and will start taking over in racing over the next couple of years. Future proof yourself. Figure some cash into the mix come race season for some good wheels though. The Aksiums are solid, but 2000 grams :shock:

Ride SS Evo HM on rollers in Winter.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mike001100

by mike001100

Thank you for your reply! I was thinking about it as I went off to bed, and maybe I could get away with 2 bikes, with not having an aero frame:

- SS EVO HM as climber's and summer with Dura Ace from Propel
- Sell the Propel frameset
- buy 750g ish frameset (think Willier zero7, Emonda, Fuji SL etc.) and use that as:
-- race bike
-- aero bike: with deep wheels
-- wet weather bike as above
-- winter bike with some generic wheels...

How does that sound? It means I can get away with two bikes, save some money, etc... hm?

mrlobber

by mrlobber

First, don't count of getting too much money back on Propel, Crux or whichever old stuff you decide to sell.

My choice would be:
1) SS Himod as race / climbing bike. Race with deeper wheels if you can, climb with light ones. You won't be getting significantly lighter without a substantial investment. Also, it's no problem racing with Dura Ace, many times in crashes groupset stays intact (except scratches) while frame, fork or handlebars break.
2) Wet weather / winter bike: absolutely with two things: fenders and discs. Which pretty much leaves the Caad12 as the choice out of the options you listed
3) If you want aero, then leave SS Hi mod as climbing bike only and go WW on it (seatpost, saddle, bars, wheels etc), and combine aero & racing bike by going "all-in" on a new bike, like Cervelo S5, Canyon Aeroad or similar. Might be worth considering if not buy a disc aero bike (more futureproof), but that depends how many (and how good) rim brake wheels you have now.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

sawyer

by sawyer

Yes, get the Hi-Mod as WW and nice as you can

Shift the propel

Then you can start the long procurement process for an aero bike
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

RyanH

by RyanH

What's the point of having a separate aero bike and race bike? I understand the idea of don't race what you can't replace, but training on an aero bike and racing on a lesser aero bike is the opposite of what you want to do. Train on a "slow" bike so that you have to work harder and then race on the fast bike so you have an edge. Also, if your Evo is over 6kg, I'm not sure I see the point of a separate climbing bike. Most aero frames can be gotten under 6kg with non-aero wheels.

sawyer

by sawyer

RyanH wrote:What's the point of having a separate aero bike and race bike? I understand the idea of don't race what you can't replace, but training on an aero bike and racing on a lesser aero bike is the opposite of what you want to do. Train on a "slow" bike so that you have to work harder and then race on the fast bike so you have an edge. Also, if your Evo is over 6kg, I'm not sure I see the point of a separate climbing bike. Most aero frames can be gotten under 6kg with non-aero wheels.

Pretty hard to get most aero frames under 6kg without going into boutique-y stuff tbh

I have a Canyon Aeroad with SR mech and a range of wheels with the lightest being Bora 35 tubulars, that I think is 6.3kg in its lightest guise. And the Aeroad is one of the lighter aero modules.

I can see another 80g with a change of saddle, but getting under 6kg would involve boutique parts
----------------------------------------
Stiff, Light, Aero - Pick Three!! :thumbup:

Valbrona
Location: United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland

by Valbrona

Mike - you need a psychiatrist.

mike001100

by mike001100

RE psychiatrist - you're not the first one to say that, thing is, I have been this way all my life...

In the end, I decided to do:

- dismantle Propel, Dura to Hi Mod, sell Propel frame (have a potential buyer)
- Bought a new Focus Izalco Max frameset to use as a winter/race bike (hoping it comes through, not yet delivered, got it at an awesome price), Ultegra from HiMod will be used on it
- No aero bike for me for the time being, but I will run the Focus during the summer with some deep dish wheels...

Thanks for all the help.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Squashednuts

by Squashednuts

mike001100 wrote:

- Bought a new Focus Izalco Max frameset to use as a winter/race bike (hoping it comes through, not yet delivered, got it at an awesome price), Ultegra from HiMod will be used on it

I think that's a good call...What colour is the frame
I ride an Izalco Max Disc, an excellent all year round bike

I think they are a much underrepresented bike on this forum.

Waiting for some deepish dish carbon rims to arrive.
I've gone for a mullet set of wheels 35mm front 50mm back.
Will post some photos.

Keen to see photos of your build :beerchug:
Building Spec Allez

Sold
Fuji SL 5.5kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=157704

Sold -
Izalco Max Disc 6.7kg http://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum ... o+Max+disc