bike build questions...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

Uci continental teams race on ultegra, chorus, force, and other 2nd tier groupsets.

The notion that weekend warriors demand dura ace level groupsets on grounds of performance is hilarious

JackRussellRacing

by JackRussellRacing

Buy/ride what you like.

If it's super high-end, then buy it and enjoy it.
If it's boutique stuff with a lesser known name, buy it and enjoy it.
If it's mid-level stuff from the big name manufacturers, buy it and enjoy it.

The only caveat is that you don't want to build your bike twice: that is, you initially purchase brand X, but regret the decision and shortly afterwards splurge for brand Y... and now you've spent way more than you originally planned.

The single most important component (for most of us wannabes) is our physical conditioning when we ride. Sure, the bike matters -- but Kimi Raikkonen drive a Hyundai better than I can drive a Ferrari; Chris Froome can pedal faster on an old Schwinn than I can pedal a Pinarello.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

vejnemojnen

by vejnemojnen

I'd go with force shifting-braking components& red chainset& ultegra cassette-chain (the latter is not that "light", but certainly durable and cheap.)

Or even full force gruppo. But honestly, even a rival shifter-lever with rival rear derailleur and brakes will be lighter than ultegra. And pretty cheap.

alcatraz

by alcatraz

gewichtweenie wrote:The notion that weekend warriors demand dura ace level groupsets on grounds of performance is hilarious

Brilliantly put...

Weekend warriors, I have to remember that :lol:

/a

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

vejnemojnen wrote:I'd go with force shifting-braking components& red chainset& ultegra cassette-chain (the latter is not that "light", but certainly durable and cheap.).

This is solid advice. If you go with a bb30 red crank, and the rest force group your whole set up will be lighter than a DA FULL GRoup!!!
I have this set up on my lynskey helix and this was my previous set up before I went with etap. I still run ultegra cassette with chain.
IMO a full force group with ultegra cassette/chain, red crank bb30(gxp is as heavy as DA) is lighter than a full DA group, this is a fact. As for price it will be considerably cheaper and it will give you the same performance or better if you take into account durability.

.[/quote]
Or even full force gruppo. But honestly, even a rival shifter-lever with rival rear derailleur and brakes will be lighter than ultegra. And pretty cheap.[/quote]

This is true too although I don't go below 2nd tier. I think durability wise sram has better tolerances than shimano over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

charlieboy52000

by charlieboy52000

vejnemojnen wrote:I'd go with force shifting-braking components& red chainset& ultegra cassette-chain (the latter is not that "light", but certainly durable and cheap.).

This is solid advice. If you go with a bb30 red crank, and the rest force group your whole set up will be lighter than a DA FULL GRoup!!!
I have this set up on my lynskey helix and this was my previous set up before I went with etap. I still run ultegra cassette with chain.
IMO a full force group with ultegra cassette/chain, red crank bb30(gxp is as heavy as DA) is lighter than a full DA group, this is a fact. As for price it will be considerably cheaper and it will give you the same performance or better if you take into account durability.

.[/quote]
Or even full force gruppo. But honestly, even a rival shifter-lever with rival rear derailleur and brakes will be lighter than ultegra. And pretty cheap.[/quote]

This is true too although I don't go below 2nd tier. I think durability wise sram has better tolerances than shimano over time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

istigatrice

by istigatrice

I wouldn't say anything is wrong with 3rd tier SRAM stuff either, SRAM Rival RD is just as light as the Force RD in the short cage version, and the FD is pretty much identical as far as I can tell. You may also get better tyre clearance out of a Rival brake caliper but at a slight weight penalty. It'll still be lighter than Ultegra though.

That said there's nothing wrong with the Ultegra groupset (6800 or R8000). Functionally, I'd say the Shimano groupsets are better (based on my experiences with 6800 vs Force/Red). The ergonomics are definitely different to SRAM, not just in lever feel but in terms of reach too. If you care about weight and/or need/prefer a shorter reach cockpit I'd get SRAM. Otherwise I'd say Shimano purely for the shifting/braking performance.
I write the weightweenies blog, hope you like it :)

Disclosure: I'm sponsored by Velocite, but I do give my honest opinion about them (I'm endorsed to race their bikes, not say nice things about them)

Asteroid

by Asteroid

This Ultegra v DA thread morphed into a Sram thread.
Just waiting for the Campy camp to join now. :D
Oldbie

AJS914

by AJS914

gewichtweenie wrote:The notion that weekend warriors demand dura ace level groupsets on grounds of performance is hilarious

That's like saying one shouldn't buy a sports car because you aren't a professional driver. Face it, weekend warriors are the guys with money. They don't make Dura Ace and Super Record for World Tour riders. They make that stuff for us and the WT guys use it. It's not the other way around though marketing would like you to think that.

Boshk

by Boshk

AJS914 wrote:

That's like saying one shouldn't buy a sports car because you aren't a professional driver. Face it, weekend warriors are the guys with money. They don't make Dura Ace and Super Record for World Tour riders. They make that stuff for us and the WT guys use it. It's not the other way around though marketing would like you to think that.

Agree, its where the money is.
Its the casual riders who are willing to buy frames, group sets etc....not just the expensive stuff.

Lets face it, most people can never use their bikes or its components even close to 100% but to some its a hobby, an interest and it looks good....whether its a basic Giant bike all the way to F10 or C60.

to OP, get what you want mate, you could do the unthinkable.....Specialized with CAMPY!! :mrgreen:
Post a photo of your new toy :thumb up:

Asteroid wrote:This Ultegra v DA thread morphed into a Sram thread.
Just waiting for the Campy camp to join now. :D

there you go

gewichtweenie

by gewichtweenie

AJS914 wrote:

Anyone and everyone is free to buy sports cars, trucks, sports utility vehicles, "hyperbikes", as their desires and budget allows.
Its that they should be informed and realistic about their decision.

"I want a Chevrolet Suburban because I like the feeling of driving high in a gigantic vehicle" = okay
"I need a Chevrolet Suburban to drive Susie to school [because it is the only vehicle that can provide safety]" = untrue

"I want a Lightweight C70-F12 Pavement SL7 because I enjoy having nice things and the mental security of operating the best equipment" .... by all means
"I need a Lightweight C70-F12 Pavement SL7 because it will allow me to reach my performance goals which is keeping up with my buddy Dave who happens to be in better fitness" .... errrr.... it wont do that for ya.

hcgaloi

by hcgaloi

I have recently built a bike from a frameset. I bought a Dura Ace 9100 groupset, except cassette was Ultegra for a total of $950. I purchased piece by piece from various online stores from the U.K. It took me over two months to get everything because I waited for 40% sale or more. In addition, I took advantage of 10% discount for first time buyer, and if I could I wait for the strong dollar to have better currency exchange rates.

Good luck.