Disc brake pad compounds - best for road use?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfranci3

by jfranci3

The trades off you make are heat range & low compress-ability / better modulation vs cold initial bite . Braking turns kinetic energy into heat, so the more you use the brakes the more heat your pads will have. The pads have a limited temp range, with metallic brakes requiring a lot of heat to start working well.

Flats = Resin for low brake temps and good initial bite (braking power without heating up pads and without a lot of lever input).
Hills = move to semi and full metallic for repeated braking performance and modulation (fine control at limit of braking)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

I've been using predominantly the Shimano finned resin pads in my calipers on the roadie, with no problems. Currently have a set of the uberbike race matrix and honestly can't tell the difference.

May look at trying a set of the Swissstop 'E' compound, but when the Shimano finned resin pads are available for A$25 delivered, I keep using them (I have Zee calipers)

TonyM

by TonyM

What are you all using for the wet weather?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TonyM wrote:What are you all using for the wet weather?

Not-resin basically. SwissStop E pads are really all you need for all situations.

simplemind

by simplemind

MichaelB wrote:I've been using predominantly the Shimano finned resin pads in my calipers on the roadie, with no problems. Currently have a set of the uberbike race matrix and honestly can't tell the difference.

May look at trying a set of the Swissstop 'E' compound, but when the Shimano finned resin pads are available for A$25 delivered, I keep using them (I have Zee calipers)

I'm with you...Shimano Resin ( F01A - $20 delivered) require less hand force, are quiet, and have much higher stopping power than sintered metallics. Personally,, that's a huge performance gain for very little money. I also like that I can use the same pads on my mountain bike, gravel bike, and road bike.
Last edited by simplemind on Thu Dec 07, 2017 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:
TonyM wrote:What are you all using for the wet weather?

Not-resin basically. SwissStop E pads are really all you need for all situations.

But the Swissstop E is organic, so it is resin, right?

MichaelB

by MichaelB

TonyM wrote:

According to them, "◾organic formula is low noise and rotor friendly"

TonyM

by TonyM

MichaelB wrote:
TonyM wrote:

According to them, "◾organic formula is low noise and rotor friendly"

Yes but what I need is by wet weather a good stopping power (low noise and rotor friendly is not that important for me as it is primarily about safety when I ride when it is wet)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

If you did an ounce of research, you’d know the E pads are not organic.

Original and RS are resin. E is semi-metallic. S is metallic. E lasts longer, has better modulation and nearly the same braking power as the S metallic pads.

http://www.swissstop.com/media/96228/sw ... 7_ensm.pdf

TonyM

by TonyM

TobinHatesYou wrote:If you did an ounce of research, you’d know the E pads are not organic.

Original and RS are resin. E is semi-metallic. S is metallic. E lasts longer, has better modulation and nearly the same braking power as the S metallic pads.

http://www.swissstop.com/media/96228/sw ... 7_ensm.pdf

Thanks for the pdf!

Yes this is why I asked as you said that for wet „non-resin“ would be the best but you mentioned the E compound which is organic....so I get quite confused...

TonyM

by TonyM

Never mind....

I have asked yesterday Swissstop directly and they recommend the „RS“ compound for the road use in the wet (they said that the „RS“ should be available in the next 2-3 weeks).

Their second choice for road/ wet would be the „E“ compound (but they said that it will however be noisy in wet conditions).

I will buy some „RS“ as soon as available and compare them to the Shimano DA resin and metal brake pads.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

TonyM wrote:....recommend the „RS“ compound for the road use in the wet (they said that the „RS“ should be available in the next 2-3 weeks).....

Will be interesting to see which calipers they'll be available for.

MichaelB

by MichaelB

TonyM wrote:http://www.swissstop.ch/tech/compounds/disc-rs/

Thanks, but the interesting bit is that the ratings are worse than the 'E' compound except for 1. Not made for my caliper anyway (but the 'E's are) 8)

RS compound has ratings for Heat Tolerance (7) & Longevity (8) vs E getting 9 for both, and RS & E have 9 rating for Modulation.

TonyM

by TonyM

MichaelB wrote:
TonyM wrote:http://www.swissstop.ch/tech/compounds/disc-rs/

Thanks, but the interesting bit is that the ratings are worse than the 'E' compound except for 1. Not made for my caliper anyway (but the 'E's are) 8)

RS compound has ratings for Heat Tolerance (7) & Longevity (8) vs E getting 9 for both, and RS & E have 9 rating for Modulation.

Yes they should have a rating for wet conditions! :smartass:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com